Today's Random Word!

• Daniel Bowlin (5/3/2011)

eclectic

electric

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
    Check out my blog at https://pianorayk.wordpress.com/

• Ray K (5/3/2011)

Daniel Bowlin (5/3/2011)

eclectic

electric

Electrons

Joe

• crookj (5/3/2011)

Ray K (5/3/2011)

Daniel Bowlin (5/3/2011)

eclectic

electric

Electrons

Joe

Cannon

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• SQLRNNR (5/3/2011)

crookj (5/3/2011)

Ray K (5/3/2011)

Daniel Bowlin (5/3/2011)

eclectic

electric

Electrons

Joe

Cannon

howitzer

• crookj (5/3/2011)

SQLRNNR (5/3/2011)

crookj (5/3/2011)

Ray K (5/3/2011)

Daniel Bowlin (5/3/2011)

eclectic

electric

Electrons

Joe

Cannon

howitzer

Pachebel's Canon

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+

• Ray K (5/3/2011)

crookj (5/3/2011)

SQLRNNR (5/3/2011)

crookj (5/3/2011)

Ray K (5/3/2011)

Daniel Bowlin (5/3/2011)

eclectic

electric

Electrons

Joe

Cannon

howitzer

Pachebel's Canon

5th

Learn Extended Events

• Ray K (5/3/2011)

Pachebel's Canon

Cockney's drop their aitches, but what English dialect drops its ells?

Tom

• Tom.Thomson (5/3/2011)

Ray K (5/3/2011)

Pachebel's Canon

Estuary English - Ah want a gloss of miwk

Often falsely identified as a type of cockney, you hear it in the southeast, even in London, around the Thames.

It is the "criminal" accent you hear in many British movies like "Lock, stock and two smoking barrels". A very "tough guy" sounding accent, one of my favorites...

Is that what you were thinking of?

I am a huge fan of English dialects, thanks to My Fair Lady... lol... but I specialize in American dialects.

Peter Trast
    Microsoft Certified ...(insert many literal strings here)
    Microsoft Design Architect with Alexander Open Systems

• maintenance

• Daniel Bowlin (5/4/2011)

maintenance

preventive

• Ray K (5/4/2011)

Daniel Bowlin (5/4/2011)

maintenance

preventive

PMCS (Preventive Maintenance Checks and Services)

Sorry - bringing back the old Army days....

Joe

• bloody

Learn Extended Events

• SQLRNNR (5/4/2011)

bloody

Mary

• Peter Trast (5/3/2011)

Tom.Thomson (5/3/2011)

Ray K (5/3/2011)

Pachebel's Canon

Often falsely identified as a type of cockney, you hear it in the southeast, even in London, around the Thames.

It is the "criminal" accent you hear in many British movies like "Lock, stock and two smoking barrels". A very "tough guy" sounding accent, one of my favorites...

Well, only if I thought it likely that Ray spoke estuary English (or Muic Scottish, where something rather different happened - l in a broad context could change to w, but never l in a narrow context - this in both languages, for some people, for others only in one - so not the l in milk; but that[those] dialect is[are] dead, I believe).

edit: Should have said I was getting at the L missing from PacheLbel; misspelling that name by leaving out the first l seems to be much more common than I expected, there 190 000 Google hits for Pachebel (4 420 000 from Pachelbel, so about 4% of the occurrences on teh web are misspelt).

I am a huge fan of English dialects, thanks to My Fair Lady... lol... but I specialize in American dialects.

Yes, the dialect range is quite amazing and very interesting. Unfortunately everything is tending to even down towards a common grammar, a common vocabulary, and a common pronunciation, the days when you could place someone within 15 miles by the way they spoke Scottish English are past and gone (but we haven't got right down to common everything yet, not in any of those three fields).

Tom

• Tom.Thomson (5/4/2011)

Peter Trast (5/3/2011)

Tom.Thomson (5/3/2011)

Ray K (5/3/2011)

Pachebel's Canon

Well, only if I thought it likely that Ray spoke estuary English (or Muic Scottish, where something rather different happened - l in a broad context could change to w, but never l in a narrow context - this in both languages, for some people, for others only in one - so not the l in milk; but that[those] dialect is[are] dead, I believe).

edit: Should have said I was getting at the L missing from PacheLbel; misspelling that name by leaving out the first l seems to be much more common than I expected, there 190 000 Google hits for Pachebel (4 420 000 from Pachelbel, so about 4% of the occurrences on teh web are misspelt).

Yes, the dialect range is quite amazing and very interesting. Unfortunately everything is tending to even down towards a common grammar, a common vocabulary, and a common pronunciation, the days when you could place someone within 15 miles by the way they spoke Scottish English are past and gone (but we haven't got right down to common everything yet, not in any of those three fields).

Well, in America I can definitely nail down someone from Long Island vs Brooklyn vs Northern New Jersey vs Philadelphia, all located with an hour's drive. Most people lump those into a "New York" or even ... ugh... a "New Yawk" accent as they call it in the midwest USA, a gross misunderstanding of the actual dialects. Even the midwest has a dozen accents, Kansas City alone has 3.

But it seems that Estuary is beginning to replace RP because of movies and TV, I think...

Peter Trast
    Microsoft Certified ...(insert many literal strings here)
    Microsoft Design Architect with Alexander Open Systems

Viewing 15 posts - 4,291 through 4,305 (of 21,190 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply