Today's Random Word!

• Tom.Thomson (5/4/2011)

Well, only if I thought it likely that Ray spoke estuary English

True story: years ago, I attended a baseball game in Boston (yes, dangerous for a Yankee fan! ;-)) where I struck up a conversation with the lady sitting next to me. After a while, she said to me: "you're from New York, aren't you?" I said, "yeah, how'd you know?" She said, "something you said. You definitely have a New York accent."

To this day, that is the only time I've ever been told that I have any kind of accent!

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
    Check out my blog at https://pianorayk.wordpress.com/

• Ray K (5/4/2011)

Tom.Thomson (5/4/2011)

Well, only if I thought it likely that Ray spoke estuary English

True story: years ago, I attended a baseball game in Boston (yes, dangerous for a Yankee fan! ;-)) where I struck up a conversation with the lady sitting next to me. After a while, she said to me: "you're from New York, aren't you?" I said, "yeah, how'd you know?" She said, "something you said. You definitely have a New York accent."

To this day, that is the only time I've ever been told that I have any kind of accent!

Was her name Dawn and you called her Dwon? 😀

Peter Trast
    Microsoft Certified ...(insert many literal strings here)
    Microsoft Design Architect with Alexander Open Systems

• Peter Trast (5/4/2011)

Ray K (5/4/2011)

Would that "Dwon" be New York Irish?

Tom

• Peter Trast (5/4/2011)

Tom.Thomson (5/4/2011)

Yes, the dialect range is quite amazing and very interesting. Unfortunately everything is tending to even down towards a common grammar, a common vocabulary, and a common pronunciation, the days when you could place someone within 15 miles by the way they spoke Scottish English are past and gone (but we haven't got right down to common everything yet, not in any of those three fields).

Well, in America I can definitely nail down someone from Long Island vs Brooklyn vs Northern New Jersey vs Philadelphia, all located with an hour's drive. Most people lump those into a "New York" or even ... ugh... a "New Yawk" accent as they call it in the midwest USA, a gross misunderstanding of the actual dialects. Even the midwest has a dozen accents, Kansas City alone has 3.

But it seems that Estuary is beginning to replace RP because of movies and TV, I think...

Yes, but these are very large speech communities. Placing someone within 15 miles in the Highlands of Scotland usually means placing him into a group of 2000 or fewer (usually much fewer) people. There are some population centres in the Highlands and Islands where there are more people than that in a 15 mile radius circle (InbhirNis/Inverness, An Gearasdan/Fort William, An t-Oban/Oban, Steornabhagh/Stornoway, PortRigh/Portree, Gairloch and maybe Ulapol/Ullapool and that's about it - Gairloch has about 250 people in the urban area, maybe 2600 within 15 miles, Ulapol is bigger than Gairloch but probably does not not have 2000 people within 15 miles, Lochinver is bigger than Gairloch but far fewer people within 15 miles, certainly not 2000, and nothing else comes near. Brooklyn alone (or Kansas City alone) has a population greater than the whole of the Highlands and the Hebrides put together - KC metropolitan area has 9 times the H&I population, Brooklyn has 14 times. The isolation used to make for conservative speech communities (particularly because English was not much used, although just about everybody could speak it), but the pervasiveness of Radio and TV (and much increased use of English) is changing that now (movies - other than shown on TV - don't have much effect; movie theatres are few and far between).

Tom

• Tom.Thomson (5/5/2011)

Peter Trast (5/4/2011)

Ray K (5/4/2011)

Well, I'm from upstate New York. It's probably more like "Donn." 😀

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
    Check out my blog at https://pianorayk.wordpress.com/

• WOTD: Invariably

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Brandie Tarvin (5/5/2011)

WOTD: Invariably

WOTD - Habitually

Joe

• habitually

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• crookj (5/5/2011)

Brandie Tarvin (5/5/2011)

WOTD - Habitually

Joe

monotonous

• Daniel Bowlin (5/5/2011)

crookj (5/5/2011)

Brandie Tarvin (5/5/2011)

WOTD - Habitually

Joe

monotonous

polyotonous

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Ray K (5/5/2011)

Tom.Thomson (5/5/2011)

Peter Trast (5/4/2011)

Ray K (5/4/2011)

I lived in upstate New York and the city for a few years. The Long Island accent would be more like more like Dwan; Donn would be more like a Chicago accent 🙂 It's really hard to write it though...

We will just have to chat about it at SQL Pass...

Peter Trast

• Peter Trast (5/5/2011)

Ray K (5/5/2011)

Tom.Thomson (5/5/2011)

Peter Trast (5/4/2011)

Ray K (5/4/2011)

I lived in upstate New York and the city for a few years. The Long Island accent would be more like more like Dwan; Donn would be more like a Chicago accent 🙂 It's really hard to write it though...

I'm originally from NJ and NYC. We just don't have vowels in our alphabet that capture NYC or NJ. But, yes, Manhattan, Long Island, Brooklyn, and Jersey all sound a little different. Philly's a whole other animal.

• sing4you (5/5/2011)

Peter Trast (5/5/2011)

Ray K (5/5/2011)

Tom.Thomson (5/5/2011)

Peter Trast (5/4/2011)

Ray K (5/4/2011)

I'm originally from NJ and NYC. We just don't have vowels in our alphabet that capture NYC or NJ. But, yes, Manhattan, Long Island, Brooklyn, and Jersey all sound a little different. Philly's a whole other animal.

Yeah, after living in New York for a few years, I joined the Army and got stationed in Jersey, near Philly and starting picking out the Philly accent. The worst part of that accent is the "DTH" that gets substituted for the letter "D". We have a local weatherman in Kansas City who is from Philly. He was surprised when I nailed his accent after he mentioned that it was "partly cloudthy" outside... lol

Peter Trast

• Peter Trast (5/5/2011)

sing4you (5/5/2011)

Peter Trast (5/5/2011)

Ray K (5/5/2011)

Tom.Thomson (5/5/2011)

Peter Trast (5/4/2011)

Ray K (5/4/2011)

Hadn't noticed that one about Philly but I notice the flat "A"s.

Yeah, after living in New York for a few years, I joined the Army and got stationed in Jersey, near Philly and starting picking out the Philly accent. The worst part of that accent is the "DTH" that gets substituted for the letter "D". We have a local weatherman in Kansas City who is from Philly. He was surprised when I nailed his accent after he mentioned that it was "partly cloudthy" outside... lol

• WOTD - noncoagulating

(nose bleed yesterday that would not quit...)

Joe

Viewing 15 posts - 4,306 through 4,320 (of 21,190 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply