Talking baseball

• Damn.... Mariano Rivera went down with a torn ACL while warming up catching fly balls during batting practice.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120503&content_id=30328258&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

At 42 years old, you've got to wonder if he'll make it back at all.

Tim Mitchell, Microsoft Data Platform MVP
    Data Warehouse and ETL Consultant
    TimMitchell.net | @Tim_Mitchell | Tyleris.com
    ETL Best Practices

• Yeah, that's real tough for him. On the verge of retirement but still the best in the game then BAM, done. All in the blink of an eye.

Let's hope he decides to play one more year so he can go out in style.

______________________________________________________________________________________________
    Forum posting etiquette.[/url] Get your answers faster.

• For you baseball stat people:

Reds Vs Cubs game yesterday:

Homer Bailey is going to the Hall of Fame.

Starting pitchers Homer Bailey and Ryan Dempster faced each other on their birthdays. Bailey turned 26, Dempster 35. According to Elias Sports Bureau, that was the first time two starting pitchers have faced each other on their birthday in big league history.

• calvo (5/4/2012)

Yeah, that's real tough for him. On the verge of retirement but still the best in the game then BAM, done. All in the blink of an eye.

Let's hope he decides to play one more year so he can go out in style.

We can only hope. I'd like to see him help the Yankees one more time.

• Agreed. He's worn out my Rangers over the years, but I hate to see his career end with a whimper like that. Hopefully for him, he's got one more good year.

ETL Best Practices

• Tim Mitchell (5/3/2012)

Damn.... Mariano Rivera went down with a torn ACL while warming up catching fly balls during batting practice.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120503&content_id=30328258&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

At 42 years old, you've got to wonder if he'll make it back at all.

I was watching that game last night. At the time, Michael Kay and Ken Singleton (the YES broadcasters) didn't make much of it because they hadn't gotten the diagnosis yet (the MRI took place during the game). I didn't hear that it was an ACL until around lunchtime today.

I think Mo comes back for another year. Thing is, even at 42, he was still bringing it before he got hurt. He may be forty-something, but he still has a lot of cutters left in that arm.

And if even Red Sox fans are saying he's a class act (nodding over at @calvo), that's saying something!

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
    Check out my blog at https://pianorayk.wordpress.com/

• if Jamie Moyer can do it at 49, then Mariano can too. he stil has 7 years left. 😛

• Been quiet here lately! How about we stir up the pot?

Let's see . . . how about the following hypothetical situation . . .

You're the manager. It's the bottom of the 9th. You're down by one run, with a man on first and two outs. The baserunner is NOT exactly a speed demon, and your batter, in ten years in the majors (as a utility player), has a career batting average of .220 and a grand total of 12 (career) home runs. You have two players remaining on the bench: a right-handed batter with power but strikes out a lot, and a switch-hitting jack-rabbit who hits around .275 and a base-stealing percentage of around .750.

You're facing Mariano Rivera (who is fully healthy) on the mound.

What do you do?

Discuss.

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+

• Sounds a lot like a typical Giants game. I'd pinch run for Posey on first with Blanco (the speedy jack rabbit) and let Pill pinch hit for Huff. Blanco would steal second and Pill would strike out.

At least they're not below .500 and it is only May.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sacramento SQL Server users group - http://sac.sqlpass.org
    Follow me on Twitter - @SQLDCH
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah, well...The Dude abides.
  • assuming the batter (the utility man) is right handed, you signal to swing at the inside pitches only.

that will drive the ball down the 3rd base line for a single.

Once you have 2 on and your jack rabbit is up, you call for the bunt. the runners will have a huge secondary and easily advance. Now, with the bases loaded, your signal the power hitter for a line drive base hit up the middle for 2 RBI's.

game over, you win.

• Ray K (5/18/2012)

Been quiet here lately! How about we stir up the pot?

You're the manager. It's the bottom of the 9th. You're down by one run, with a man on first and two outs. The baserunner is NOT exactly a speed demon, and your batter, in ten years in the majors (as a utility player), has a career batting average of .220 and a grand total of 12 (career) home runs. You have two players remaining on the bench: a right-handed batter with power but strikes out a lot, and a switch-hitting jack-rabbit who hits around .275 and a base-stealing percentage of around .750.

What do you do?

Discuss.

flip a coin. go with your gut. ultimately baseball is built over time, so in clutch situations, you have no idea if the batter will act like Barry Bonds, Pete Rose, or Joe Choke at the plate. I'm conservative, and I'd probably go with the .275 guy, but he doesn't matter as much as the guy on first. Can he go first to home on a long single?

• Ray K (5/18/2012)

Been quiet here lately! How about we stir up the pot?

What do you do?

Discuss.

To make things a little less quiet, looks like Woody is done[/url]. I am still a young whipper-snapper and being a Cubs fan he was one of the first real dominate pitchers I can remember watching. It's a shame he (and Mark Prior for that matter) couldn't stay healthy for a full season.

• Man, tried to stay up to watch Yankees vs. Angels. Hoping the coffee is extra strong this morning.

I hate West Coast night games!

• Same here, but tired for a different reason. I went to the Rangers game last night and watched our boys get shelled at home by the Mariners. Down by 17 runs at one point, we finally lost 21-8. Yikes.

ETL Best Practices

• Tim Mitchell (5/31/2012)

Same here, but tired for a different reason. I went to the Rangers game last night and watched our boys get shelled at home by the Mariners. Down by 17 runs at one point, we finally lost 21-8. Yikes.

And the dude from the Mariners gets a save for nursing that lead for 3 innings. :crazy:

Viewing 15 posts - 901 through 915 (of 1,967 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply