Talking baseball

• Markus (4/23/2012)

Did anyone see that there was a perfect game thrown against the Mariners in Seattle? The 21st perfect game.

Yeah, that was great! Always good to see someone get an achievement like that. It was sadly overshadowed on my end by my superfail bullpen. 5th inning of the sox/yanks game with Boston up 9-0 and FOX cuts to show the last inning of the perfect game. 3 outs and a couple interviews later they get back to the Boston game. Dubront is out and it is 9-5! ... what just happened...? I just sat in awe with my jaw squarely on the floor as I watched our bullpen hand over 15 runs and lose the game.

Speechless.

So our bullpen has the leagues second highest ERA of 6.~ and Aceves has a solid ERA of 24.0. Blame bobby? A little. Blame Cherrington? A little more so. Blame the bullpen? Yes. It's still April so it's early in the season. We all knew at the end of last year that our pitching staff would be struggling but management didn't do ANYTHING about it. Well, they did. They traded a decent outfielder for a AAA quality starting pitcher (Malancon).

We got a great AAA outfielder (Ross).

We are Calling up Lars Anderson (first baseman) who hit .175 last year and making him play in the outfield.

We traded Michael Bowden for a struggling center fielder from the cubbies (Byrd) who is hitting .070 right now.

[sarcasm]Real solid trades, looks like we're heading in the right direction![/sarcasm]

... /sigh

On a positive note, I went to the Nationals/Marlins game on Friday night. Beautiful weather and I had a great time cheering for the home team. Took my cousin, it was her first time going to a major league game. I think she had fun. I liked showing her around the park and we even got to watch some batting practice!

______________________________________________________________________________________________
    Forum posting etiquette.[/url] Get your answers faster.

• Markus (4/23/2012)

Did anyone see that there was a perfect game thrown against the Mariners in Seattle? The 21st perfect game.

Missed it, heard about it, and wished I'd seen it. That's very cool.

I read Perfect years ago and enjoyed it. A few weeks after I finished it, I was eating dinner in a restaurant and walked by a TV on the way to the restroom. David Cone was pitching his perfect game in the 8th. I watched on the way back until it was over, much to the annoyance of my wife.

• First game of the season for me last night. 4 innings at third, no balls hit to me. 1 inning at first, got two throws over there for outs, but managed during warmups to take a short hopper off my glove, and then my lip.

Ibuprofen is being taken for that.

One at-bat, BB. We won in dramatic fashion. The team we played is ranked nationally from playing in lots of tournaments. They went up 3-0 in the third and until I started a 7 run 7th with my walk, we were losing badly. They hit a lot, but we had some good defense to keep it close.

In the 9th, up 7-5, we gave up a hit, then a FC, then a walk and a K. A liner to left hit the left fielders glove, spun him around, and he dropped it. One run in. Late at night (10:15), chilly, a chopper went over the pitcher, and our second basemen fielded it just on his side of second. The runner from third was running hard and the runner on second was getting close to me at third. A turn and a throw, against a fairly quick runner. Short hop, a bounce, bang, bang and our first baseman lifted his glove, with the ball in it.

First win of the season.

• Grats Steve, sounds like fun. Tell anyone who asks about the lip that you were in a bar fight and that they should see the other guy. Then show 'em your tatooes.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sacramento SQL Server users group - http://sac.sqlpass.org
    Follow me on Twitter - @SQLDCH
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah, well...The Dude abides.
  • LOL, no ink here. Never been a fan of tatoos and shake my head a bit when I see the ones my 20 yr old has.

My wife didn't notice until I told her. Only slightly swollen, but certainly is aching a bit.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (4/23/2012)

...during warmups to take a short hopper off my glove, and then my lip.

Now why does that sound familiar? Got a whole team laughing at me last year when that happened to me 😛

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A little knowledge is a dangerous thing (Alexander Pope)
    In order for us to help you as efficiently as possible, please read this before posting (courtesy of Jeff Moden)[/url]

• At least you didn't get Cabrera'd in the eye

______________________________________________________________________________________________

• End of season Paintball game team picture attached. Coach (me) is the middle one in the back row. We had a lot of fun, during the season and at the Fines Function! Looking forward to August when spring training starts. In the meantime I can enjoy a few months of not getting up at 5AM on Saturday mornings :cool::cool::cool:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A little knowledge is a dangerous thing (Alexander Pope)
    In order for us to help you as efficiently as possible, please read this before posting (courtesy of Jeff Moden)[/url]

• Being a Cubs fan, I don't follow the AL too much but I knew Pujols has been struggling this year. I went and looked at his stat line and saw just how much he was struggling. Batting .208, 0 HR, 5 RBI in 96 ABs. And only .255 OBP. Maybe his numbers were just inflated all those years from playing the Cubbies 18 or so times a year. 😛 He's gotta snap out of it sometime soon though, right?

• Meant to post this earlier . . .

I bought a pair of tickets to the Yankees vs. White Sox @ Yankee Stadium on June 30! Looking forward to that trip! (My wife and I are discussing possibly getting a hotel and making a weekend out of it!)

Added bonus: a week after I bought the tickets, I got an email from my dear old alma mater saying they were having an alumni get-together at Yankee Stadium -- on June 30!

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
    Check out my blog at https://pianorayk.wordpress.com/

• Nice! Seems like it was just meant to be.

• I think we'll start to hear the drum beat louder from the instant replay advocates after this ridiculous call last night:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-league-stew/tim-welke-makes-one-worst-calls-ve-ever-235447642.html

The still images don't tell the whole story; the video shows that the ump was well inboard of the foul line and had the base somewhat hidden by the fielder. Still, it's a call he should have easily made.

Tim Mitchell, Microsoft Data Platform MVP
    Data Warehouse and ETL Consultant
    TimMitchell.net | @Tim_Mitchell | Tyleris.com
    ETL Best Practices

• yeah, wow. I heard about the controversy last night on ESPN but didn't get a chance to see what the hubub was all about. Yeah, he blew the call. Bad angle perhaps, but he sure didn't do it on purpose.

• Hockey has it figured out with the review process IMO. They have a group of people in a "War Room" in Toronto watching all the games every night. If a play comes into question, they are reviewing it instantly, even before play on the ice has stopped in some cases. A system like that would have had that call overturned instantly. I think something like this would be great in baseball, and in a case like this would have almost zero effect on the time and pace of the game. The debate then is what calls would you use it on. Obviously not balls and strikes as a Yankees/Red Sox game would take about 12 hours to finish if that were the case.

• Jered Weaver. 'Nuff said.

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
    Check out my blog at https://pianorayk.wordpress.com/

Viewing 15 posts - 886 through 900 (of 1,967 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply