Talking baseball

• Tim Mitchell (5/31/2012)

Same here, but tired for a different reason. I went to the Rangers game last night and watched our boys get shelled at home by the Mariners. Down by 17 runs at one point, we finally lost 21-8. Yikes.

That's within 2 touchdowns. Not too bad for the Big 12.

😛

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (5/31/2012)

Tim Mitchell (5/31/2012)

Same here, but tired for a different reason. I went to the Rangers game last night and watched our boys get shelled at home by the Mariners. Down by 17 runs at one point, we finally lost 21-8. Yikes.

That's within 2 touchdowns. Not too bad for the Big 12.

😛

I was thinking Seahawks vs. Cowboys myself!

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
    Check out my blog at https://pianorayk.wordpress.com/

• Is Jamie Moyer done?

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (6/1/2012)

Ray K (6/1/2012)

Is Jamie Moyer done?

I hope not

My guess is he just might be done this time Steve. He has gotten roughed up in his last two starts... one was by my Reds and the Reds have the third lowest offense in the NL.....

• Bummer, us Phillies fans were hoping to see him take the hill one last time here later this month. I'll always remember him digging up the rubber and leaving the field with it on his shoulder after the 2008 world series.

• Finally got ahold of one yesterday. Nice, just above the knees, a little inside, and I bounced it off the 360' fence for a double.

Feels like baseball season.

• Markus (6/1/2012)

Steve Jones - SSC Editor (6/1/2012)

Ray K (6/1/2012)

Is Jamie Moyer done?

I hope not

My guess is he just might be done this time Steve. He has gotten roughed up in his last two starts... one was by my Reds and the Reds have the third lowest offense in the NL.....

How many of his games were at home and on the road? The high altitude of Denver is not kind to pitchers!

I agree; I hope he has something left in the tank, but I think he's close to the end of the road (if he's not there already). He had a heck of a career!

• I'm surprised nobody's said anything about Johan Santana. First no-no in the Mets' 50 year history on Friday night!

• Did you see the replay on the 6th inning foul ball? I didn't, but heard about it all over the radio Sat. Is it an asterisk if the umpire blew the call?

If the ball hit the line, then Santana shouldn't consider this a no-hitter for himself. It goes as a win, it goes in the record books, it becomes a part of Met's history, but personally I wouldn't count it on an obvious bad call.

http://scores.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=320601121&teams=st.-louis-cardinals-vs-new-york-mets

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (6/5/2012)

Did you see the replay on the 6th inning foul ball? I didn't, but heard about it all over the radio Sat. Is it an asterisk if the umpire blew the call?

If the ball hit the line, then Santana shouldn't consider this a no-hitter for himself. It goes as a win, it goes in the record books, it becomes a part of Met's history, but personally I wouldn't count it on an obvious bad call.

http://scores.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=320601121&teams=st.-louis-cardinals-vs-new-york-mets

So where do you stand on Armando Galarraga's not-quite-perfect-game from two years ago?

• roryp 96873 (6/5/2012)

Steve Jones - SSC Editor (6/5/2012)

Did you see the replay on the 6th inning foul ball? I didn't, but heard about it all over the radio Sat. Is it an asterisk if the umpire blew the call?

So where do you stand on Armando Galarraga's not-quite-perfect-game from two years ago?

I am for more instant replay for these type of things. That WAS a perfect game that was blown. A quick review of this one play would have put this game in the record books.

• roryp 96873 (6/5/2012)

I don't completely remember that. Wasn't that a bad call that made it not a perfect game? If so, that sucks, but without replay you can't fix it. Who knows if he continues to pitch a perfect game if that's an out.

First, I believe umpires make mistakes, and it's part of the game. I got a called third strike last week that I think was a bad call, but not egregious, and not worth arguing. It happens. I've had a few that I thought were horrible calls, but there's nothing to be done there, and I wouldn't want that in MLB.

Second, I don't want the same slowed down, but there's a lot of $$$ in MLB. Put a guy in the press box, give him monitors and a tech that explains how to rewind. Put cameras on the foul poles that track the ball with radar and zoom in for fair foul calls. Add a couple more looking the other way for HR calls. Take 36sec and make a decision. If it's wrong, I can live with the review, but some of the calls on fair/foul, or even tags at home, need review. They happen so fast, and the umpire isn't always in a good spot because of the way the ball comes in. Review a subset of important calls (not balls/strikes) and try to get better.

Not perfect. Better.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (6/5/2012)

roryp 96873 (6/5/2012)

I don't completely remember that. Wasn't that a bad call that made it not a perfect game? If so, that sucks, but without replay you can't fix it. Who knows if he continues to pitch a perfect game if that's an out.

First, I believe umpires make mistakes, and it's part of the game. I got a called third strike last week that I think was a bad call, but not egregious, and not worth arguing. It happens. I've had a few that I thought were horrible calls, but there's nothing to be done there, and I wouldn't want that in MLB.

Second, I don't want the same slowed down, but there's a lot of $$$ in MLB. Put a guy in the press box, give him monitors and a tech that explains how to rewind. Put cameras on the foul poles that track the ball with radar and zoom in for fair foul calls. Add a couple more looking the other way for HR calls. Take 36sec and make a decision. If it's wrong, I can live with the review, but some of the calls on fair/foul, or even tags at home, need review. They happen so fast, and the umpire isn't always in a good spot because of the way the ball comes in. Review a subset of important calls (not balls/strikes) and try to get better.

Not perfect. Better.

I agree completely. Put another Ump in the press box with more camera angles... If the call is questionable give him 30 secs to review. Not on everything but the is it fair or foul... thrown out at the plate or not.... not balls and strikes.

That Detroit/Cleveland game it WAS a perfect game. That blown call was the last out of the 9th inning which is that makes it so bad. The ump looked at the play after the game and admitted he blew the call. A 30 second review would have gotten it right. All he needed to see was that play at a diff angle and it was clearly an out.

• Markus (6/5/2012)

roryp 96873 (6/5/2012)

Not perfect. Better.

I agree completely. Put another Ump in the press box with more camera angles... If the call is questionable give him 30 secs to review. Not on everything but the is it fair or foul... thrown out at the plate or not.... not balls and strikes.

That Detroit/Cleveland game it WAS a perfect game. That blown call was the last out of the 9th inning which is that makes it so bad. The ump looked at the play after the game and admitted he blew the call. A 30 second review would have gotten it right. All he needed to see was that play at a diff angle and it was clearly an out.

Yup, Jim Joyce was the ump if I recalled correctly. He admitted making the bad call after seeing the replay and Galarraga said everyone makes mistakes. It was actually a pretty good display of sportsmanship the next day and Galarraga brought the lineup card out before the next game and shared a pretty emotional moment with Joyce.

Regardless, I agree some sort of replay system is needed. I watch a lot of hockey and think their method of the central "War Room" where a group of people are in Toronto watching all the games make the calls and communicate with the ref via phone is a great idea. You wouldn't need the "5th ump" on every crew going to each game, only one ump would have to leave the field to talk on the phone, opposed to all the umps leaving the field under the current system. I think they would just have to decide on what plays to review. No balls and strikes obviously, definitely the boundry calls they can already review, and perhaps only base plays that the people in the proposed "War Room" see are obviously wrong. No bang-bang plays at bases would be reviewed, but ones like earlier this season where Todd Helton was a good 3 feet off first base when he caught the ball and the ump still called the runner out would be.

That is still kind of vague though as some people may call what I see as a bang-bang play obviously incorrect and visa-versa, so I don't know how you'd really nail that one down without some controversy...

Viewing 15 posts - 916 through 930 (of 1,967 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply