Question for the "experts"

• DeanORenO (1/12/2012)

I like all the interpretations of my question but still no answer. I imagine if I asked the question what is 2 + 2, I would get people telling me how rude I am or that I'm stupid, instead of just an answer of 4

Your actual question, about what is a good question for the forums? Anything that you like can be a good question. That's why millions of questions have been answered on this site.

The negative responses you keep getting aren't because you're asking questions. They're because you are deliberately rude, insulting, and so on.

So here's a question for you:

What has lead you to believe that you can be deliberately insulting to people, and that you can still expect respect back from them?

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• DeanORenO (1/12/2012)

I like all the interpretations of my question but still no answer. I imagine if I asked the question what is 2 + 2, I would get people telling me how rude I am or that I'm stupid, instead of just an answer of 4

I would give the straight answer with out any explanations, which is why I don't really post anymore.

The professionals on this site would give more details, reasons and caveats.

I don't feel confident enough to do this, expecially performance tuning.

Far away is close at hand in the images of elsewhere.
    Anon.

• David Burrows (1/12/2012)

DeanORenO (1/12/2012)

I would give the straight answer with out any explanations, which is why I don't really post anymore.

Neither do I, but I find that testing the solutions usually aleviate that fear & the problem goes away ;-).

Start posting again anytime you want.

When would NOW be a good time? :hehe:

• David Burrows (1/12/2012)

DeanORenO (1/12/2012)

Go for it anyway. It's a great way to learn. I'm wrong all the time. Just ask Gail.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Grant Fritchey (1/12/2012)

David Burrows (1/12/2012)

DeanORenO (1/12/2012)

Go for it anyway. It's a great way to learn. I'm wrong all the time. Just ask Gail.

+1

Edit : As in I'm wrong all the time too, not that GS... nevermind. :hehe:

• the folks on this forum are way to sensitive, I never ask questions that are intentionaly rude, that is just the way you interpret the question. If I tell you the answer you give to my question is wrong, then I'm instantly being rude, I guess

• Grant Fritchey (1/12/2012)

Personal answer:

All questions are valid.

That doesn't mean that all questions will receive a precise answer. Some questions are homework or people in interviews posting as they interview (it's been done) and I'm not going to answer these with a direct 100% answer. My choice. Some questions are vague. I'm going to ask questions about them (sorry, you still haven't told me why this is bad). Some questions are extremely confusing. I'm going to ask questions about these (again, apologies). Some questions indicate that the person asking them is off on a tangent or doesn't understand the fundamentals of the technology. These questions may get the dreaded "What is it you're trying to do" question because my answer is going to be what they're trying to do, not what they're asking about because what they're asking about is off track.

So, in short, ask anything you want. But, I get to answer any way I want. Fair enough?

Now, please answer my request for clarification. Why is asking a question about a question bad?

+1

I will ask questions very frequently because that is the best way to fill in gaps that the question leaves.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• DeanORenO (1/12/2012)

the folks on this forum are way to sensitive, I never ask questions that are intentionaly rude, that is just the way you interpret the question. If I tell you the answer you give to my question is wrong, then I'm instantly being rude, I guess

Can we just agree to disagree. Sounds like simple miscommunication over forums which block 90% of the message anyways.

Can we turn this around to what we need to do moving forward?

• DeanORenO (1/12/2012)

the folks on this forum are way to sensitive, I never ask questions that are intentionaly rude, that is just the way you interpret the question. If I tell you the answer you give to my question is wrong, then I'm instantly being rude, I guess

If the answer is wrong, then why not help out a bit by providing all the necessary details in order for the volunteer to give you a correct answer?

As for an answer being wrong, why are no answers in this thread correct? You are asking opinions and yet everybody who has provided an answer has been wrong so far. So why not tell us the correct answer at this point.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• DeanORenO (1/12/2012)

I haven't accused you of being rude. I've answered your question to the best of my ability. I have an honest and fair question for you. Please, can you answer it?

Why is asking questions about a question bad? I'm trying to learn and understand.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Edit: Brick wall.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • DeanORenO (1/11/2012)

you people on this forum are always complaining about the questions that are asked on the forums, either you complain that they are too simple, and that the poster should be able to find the information out for him/her self. Or the intensely complex questions that some posters ask are ultimately taken the wrong way by the answerers, because if you have a complex problem usually it is hard to relate a question about it to someone. So, I guess, what I want to know is "what question is a good question for the forum"?

I was pretty surprised at some of the interactions when I first arrived here and I've thought a bit about why.

One of the things I've noticed here is that reputation on this site is strongly based on the number of posts, and when you have a measure like this that might not be directly correlated to desireable personality traits, new visitors could be quite surprised at some of the resulting interactions.

Another characteristic I've observed is that the RDBMS database community itself has a strong theme of orthodoxy baked in, look at the reaction you got because you preferred "raiserror" for instance, one fellow flat out called you "wrong" and pretty much rejected you on a personal basis because of something that might have worked for you. This is a favorite subject of mine, and rather than expound in depth here, I'm just going to leave it out there that some RDBMS folks tend to get a bit eccentric, and combining this with reputation based on post count, and this is going to result in some interaction biases that at first glance will probably be pretty confusing.

There are plenty of nice folks here though, and there really is some great info and a ton of experiece here, so I wouldn't write the site off entirely based on a wierd first impression.

• Ya I like Gail because 29K is next to her name.

No I love her becauses she's helped me tremendously over the years along with a few million other people. That's what we really care about.

• DeanORenO (1/12/2012)

So this post:

I didn't explain what the whole job is about and I don't need to since the raiserror solved my problem, if the query returns rows then the job is not to send mail or do any alerts, however, if the query returns no rows then the alarm is sounded. I don't make up the requirements I just make things work based on what I'm told.

You can keep making up scenarios if you want but I'm done and you didn't help.

From this thread, is not rude?

If you had left up the last sentence, I wouldn't think it was rude, but that last sentence is rude and unprofessional. There is nothing wrong with what Jared, the other poster, said in any of his posts. He is trying to understand the Why of your problem and solution and offer what he thinks is the best solution. He never attacks you personally or even your solution. He does offer an alternative which he thinks is better. You can disagree without calling him not helpful.

To answer your question on this thread, I think the first 3 links in my signature provide you with the answer, which is why they are in my signature.

Yes sometimes the regular posters on this site "blow off steam" but when you've answered thousands of questions and had people question your motives consistently sometimes you need to do that to keep your sanity. Most of the regular posters on this site also speak at events like user groups, SQLSaturday's, PASS Summit, PASS SQLRally, PASS Virtual Chapters, and other webinars, and most blog. Very few are compensated at all for these things and pay their own way to in-person events. Yes the for-pay events like the Summit and SQL Rally comp registration for speakers, but the PASS Summit costs in the thousands just for travel, hotel, and incidentals, yet many still do it.

One other thing, the most active posters also call each other regularly when we think an response is out of line. We don't put up with rude and unprofessional behavior by ANYONE. I've seen almost everyone who has posted on this thread apologize when they realized they allowed their frustration to get the best of them in a thread and usually because another person on this thread has caused them on it.

Yes, we often answer questions with a question, I do that at the office and at home with my kids, often times the best way to teach someone something is NOT to give them the answer, but to lead through the problem solving process, so the next time they may be able to solve the problem themselves. And, sometimes we just don't understand the problem, maybe that makes us ignorant, but we want to give accurate answers, so we need to understand BEFORE we answer.

• patrickmcginnis59 (1/12/2012)

look at the reaction you got because you preferred "raiserror" for instance, one fellow flat out called you "wrong" and pretty much rejected you on a personal basis because of something that might have worked for you.

Just on this point... There's orthodoxy and there's the 'right tool for the job'. Go to a dev community forum (any one) and suggest raising errors for non-error events and see what reaction you get. Errors (raised, thrown or logged) should be for errors, not expected operations or control flow through code. If I wrote a C# app that raised an error when a user clicked a button, C# developers would rightly call me a complete idiot, that's not what errors are for. Yes, it'll work, but....

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 48 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply