Are the posted questions getting worse?

• It's only the 3rd of the year and I believe we already have a candidate for the year's most vague question.

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic1648047-2799-1.aspx

Anyone have even a clue as to what this fellow means? I was thinking some poor-man's form of replication to contain the content from multiple remote servers but that's just my imagination at work.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Congratulations, Gianluca. Very well done. And no, it didn't sound like you were bragging.

• Jeff Moden (1/3/2015)

It's only the 3rd of the year and I believe we already have a candidate for the year's most vague question.

Anyone have even a clue as to what this fellow means? I was thinking some poor-man's form of replication to contain the content from multiple remote servers but that's just my imagination at work.

From the subject, he wants to create a table of some sort, but the body of the post is definitely in the running for the most vague I've seen.

• Jeff Moden (1/3/2015)

It's only the 3rd of the year and I believe we already have a candidate for the year's most vague question.

Glad you quoted the original post since it has been edited and now contains nothing more than "a".

Of course, if you review his previous posts, all he wants is for others to do his work.

• ... Mark one off, 55 days on the calendar to go. 55 days on the calendar to go, 55 days to go, ...

• Lynn Pettis (1/3/2015)

Jeff Moden (1/3/2015)

Glad you quoted the original post since it has been edited and now contains nothing more than "a".

Of course, if you review his previous posts, all he wants is for others to do his work.

Good googly moogly, that one is extremely vague.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Lynn Pettis (1/3/2015)

Jeff Moden (1/3/2015)

I've taken to quoting the original post in many cases simply because too many people delete the original post even if they get a reasonable answer.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• ... Mark one off, 54 days on the calendar to go. 54 days on the calendar to go, 54 days to go, ...

• Deleting posts (unless completely absurd) seems odd to me. To me, it's like tearing pages out of a knowledge repository. Nothing quite like remembering an old post that could help, only to find it's been deleted!

• Jeff Moden (1/4/2015)

I've taken to quoting the original post in many cases simply because too many people delete the original post even if they get a reasonable answer.

I've had cases where I've corrected a statement someone made, then they went back and edited the incorrect statement in their post so that it looks like I'm talking nonsense or can't read.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (1/5/2015)

Jeff Moden (1/4/2015)

I've had cases where I've corrected a statement someone made, then they went back and edited the incorrect statement in their post so that it looks like I'm talking nonsense or can't read.

It's a good thing you can see when someone has edited a post. Helps a bit in such cases.

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Grant Fritchey (1/4/2015)

Lynn Pettis (1/3/2015)

Jeff Moden (1/3/2015)

How about an equally vague answer? "With a DDL statement."

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• WayneS (1/5/2015)

Grant Fritchey (1/4/2015)

Lynn Pettis (1/3/2015)

Jeff Moden (1/3/2015)

How about an equally vague answer? "With a DDL statement."

That was probably the best possible answer.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• ... Mark one off, 53 days on the calendar to go. 53 days on the calendar to go, 53 days to go, ...

• How annoying, a new QotD spammer. I send him a private message telling him nobody is waiting for email notifications for old questions.

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

Viewing 15 posts - 46,801 through 46,815 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply