Are the posted questions getting worse?

• GilaMonster (1/5/2015)

Jeff Moden (1/4/2015)

I've taken to quoting the original post in many cases simply because too many people delete the original post even if they get a reasonable answer.

I've had cases where I've corrected a statement someone made, then they went back and edited the incorrect statement in their post so that it looks like I'm talking nonsense or can't read.

Same here. Another fine reason to quote the original post if someone hasn't done so already.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Jeff Moden (1/6/2015)

GilaMonster (1/5/2015)

Jeff Moden (1/4/2015)

I've taken to quoting the original post in many cases simply because too many people delete the original post even if they get a reasonable answer.

I've had cases where I've corrected a statement someone made, then they went back and edited the incorrect statement in their post so that it looks like I'm talking nonsense or can't read.

Same here. Another fine reason to quote the original post if someone hasn't done so already.

I see another phenomenon has resurfaced - the familiar "thanks for the question" routine for QOTDs from 2011. We've seen it before. Don't worry, they'll change their username later.

• Ed Wagner (1/6/2015)

Jeff Moden (1/6/2015)

GilaMonster (1/5/2015)

Jeff Moden (1/4/2015)

I see another phenomenon has resurfaced - the familiar "thanks for the question" routine for QOTDs from 2011. We've seen it before. Don't worry, they'll change their username later.

I send a PM saying it's very annoying. He apologized but also remarked that maybe I should unsubscribe myself from those threads.

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Koen Verbeeck (1/6/2015)

Ed Wagner (1/6/2015)

Jeff Moden (1/6/2015)

GilaMonster (1/5/2015)

Jeff Moden (1/4/2015)

I send a PM saying it's very annoying. He apologized but also remarked that maybe I should unsubscribe myself from those threads.

Apparently he also doesn't think the "Posts added today" being polluted with 3-year old QOTD should be seen either.

• Ed Wagner (1/6/2015)

Koen Verbeeck (1/6/2015)

Ed Wagner (1/6/2015)

Jeff Moden (1/6/2015)

GilaMonster (1/5/2015)

Jeff Moden (1/4/2015)

Apparently he also doesn't think the "Posts added today" being polluted with 3-year old QOTD should be seen either.

That was my reply as well 😀

• Grant Fritchey (1/4/2015)

Lynn Pettis (1/3/2015)

Jeff Moden (1/3/2015)

It's only the 3rd of the year and I believe we already have a candidate for the year's most vague question.

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic1648047-2799-1.aspx

Anyone have even a clue as to what this fellow means? I was thinking some poor-man's form of replication to contain the content from multiple remote servers but that's just my imagination at work.

Glad you quoted the original post since it has been edited and now contains nothing more than "a".

Of course, if you review his previous posts, all he wants is for others to do his work.

Good googly moogly, that one is extremely vague.

Yeah, I thought the "a" was very vague.

With it as it stands, it is certainly the most vague of the year.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

How annoying, a new QotD spammer. I send him a private message telling him nobody is waiting for email notifications for old questions.

I saw all of those and tend to agree. We love spam though don't we? 😀

Learn Extended Events

Ed Wagner (1/6/2015)

Jeff Moden (1/6/2015)

GilaMonster (1/5/2015)

Jeff Moden (1/4/2015)

It's what I end up doing at some point. I have so many subscriptions it is hard to wade through them all to find those though.

Learn Extended Events

• SQLRNNR (1/6/2015)

Koen Verbeeck (1/6/2015)

Ed Wagner (1/6/2015)

Jeff Moden (1/6/2015)

GilaMonster (1/5/2015)

Jeff Moden (1/4/2015)

It's what I end up doing at some point. I have so many subscriptions it is hard to wade through them all to find those though.

I find that clearing them out weekly helps to keep the noise down. If it's been 3 days since someone's posted to a thread where I've provided a solution, I presume they have what they came for and didn't bother to post a follow-up. So, I don't have to worry about it any more. I keep the ones I want to stay subscribed to, but whack the rest.

• I clear out subscriptions periodically as well. It is hard if you've subscribed to lots, however.

• I never clear out subscriptions, except for the daily questions.

You never know if someone stumbles on a thread after an Internet search and has an additional question on the topic.

• I'm just subscribed to all of it forever. Too much work to try to clean it out. If any one thread gets stupid (this one for example), I'll remove that after I see too many emails. Otherwise, I just leave them alone.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Grant Fritchey (1/6/2015)

I'm just subscribed to all of it forever. Too much work to try to clean it out. If any one thread gets stupid (this one for example), I'll remove that after I see too many emails. Otherwise, I just leave them alone.

That's similar to the approach I take.

The exceptions are QOTD and Editorial subscriptions.

Learn Extended Events

• Grant Fritchey (1/6/2015)

If any one thread gets stupid (this one for example)

Blasphemy! 😀

Best wishes by the way.

Grant Fritchey (1/6/2015)

If any one thread gets stupid (this one for example)

Blasphemy! 😀

Best wishes by the way.

And a Happy New Year to you as well. Seriously hoping to get back out to you for Techorama. Put in a good word for me.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

Viewing 15 posts - 46,816 through 46,830 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply