Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Koen Verbeeck (12/10/2014)

Grant Fritchey (12/10/2014)

Weirdest thing, my subscription to The Thread got turned off. I just figured after a couple of weeks you guys had finally given up on this thing.

Damn, he noticed! 😀

Given up on The Thread? Blasphemy!!!!!

😀

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• Alvin Ramard (12/10/2014)

Koen Verbeeck (12/10/2014)

Grant Fritchey (12/10/2014)

Weirdest thing, my subscription to The Thread got turned off. I just figured after a couple of weeks you guys had finally given up on this thing.

Damn, he noticed! 😀

Given up on The Thread? Blasphemy!!!!!

😀

I was rather enjoying the peace & quiet.

Ah well, back into the fray...

The questions suck!

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• andrew gothard (12/10/2014)

spaghettidba (12/10/2014)

SQLRNNR (12/10/2014)

andrew gothard (12/10/2014)

Aye - I've got one of those too. Even better - unless I've completely misread the trace, someone - somewhere read that "SQL Server works better with stored procedures". "Cool" he says, so what appears to be happening is a call is made that creates a stored procedure with the required functionality with the helpful name of something like 23a5bc75648c947g, which is then executed with the required parameters. Then dropped. <Pauses for effect and listens to the jaws of every Threadizen sumultaneously hitting the floor>.

If I knew where their offices were ...

I dealt with a developer once that had done that. Better yet is the grant permissions statements inside of the proc that was created.

There's a JDBC driver called JTDS that can do that automagically. It's one of the possible strategies for query preparation (prepareSQL jdbc url property).

See jdts FAQ

Aye. That's the one.

Then the fix is as quick as changing a single prarameter in the JDBC url. When I used it in the past, sp_executesql was my choice and it worked quite well.

-- Gianluca Sartori

• Have you ever feel that posters are just trolling you by saying that a solution doesn't work even when you have tested it correctly? I feel that Lynn is a victim this time.

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • Luis Cazares (12/12/2014)

Have you ever feel that posters are just trolling you by saying that a solution doesn't work even when you have tested it correctly? I feel that Lynn is a victim this time.

Well, I won't be doing all the work anymore. Did it once in that thread, refuse to do it twice.

• Should have started this a while ago!

(To the tune 100 Bottles of Beer on the Wall)

... Mark one off, 78 days to go on the calendar. 78 days to go on the calendar, 78 days to go, ...

• Lynn Pettis (12/12/2014)

Should have started this a while ago!

(To the tune 100 Bottles of Beer on the Wall)

... Mark one off, 78 days to go on the calendar. 78 days to go on the calendar, 78 days to go, ...

WOOHOO!!!

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

• Lynn Pettis (12/12/2014)

Luis Cazares (12/12/2014)

Have you ever feel that posters are just trolling you by saying that a solution doesn't work even when you have tested it correctly? I feel that Lynn is a victim this time.

Well, I won't be doing all the work anymore. Did it once in that thread, refuse to do it twice.

If it's the thread I think it is, I love the way the OP got all uppity in response to asking for DDL. You know, there are those that just don't want to help others to help them, so that's the level of help they'll get. I'd like to help, but if the basics aren't there and people get irritates when I ask for it, I'm done. And using the "I'm new" excuse doesn't hold much water if the attitude doesn't match.

• ... Mark one off, 77 days on the calendar to go. 77 days on the calendar to go, 77 days to go, ...

• The ones I love are:

Me: Try this <solution>

OP: That won't work.

Me: Did you try it?

OP: It works.

Usually when the solution is a little non-obvious.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • ... Mark one off, 76 days on the calendar to go. 76 days on the calendar to go, 76 days to go, ...

• Lynn Pettis (12/13/2014)

... Mark one off, 76 days on the calendar to go. 76 days on the calendar to go, 76 days to go, ...

Hang in there and hope it's an easy 76

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (12/14/2014)

Lynn Pettis (12/13/2014)

... Mark one off, 76 days on the calendar to go. 76 days on the calendar to go, 76 days to go, ...

Hang in there and hope it's an easy 76

Hopefully better than the Philadelphia 76ers:-P

😎

• In the category of learning something new, I just did some testing on the differences between ONLINE and OFFLINE index rebuilds because of a post I saw on LinkedIn. I knew that ONLINE was going to be slower than OFFLINE but I'm totally shocked at the how much of a difference there is on multiple fronts. I was really skeptical of claims like "OFFLINE is 5 times faster" and "OFFLINE also does a better job of defragging", etc, etc, and, so, did a bunch of testing and found out it was all true. I'm truly amazed.

I'm also humbled by the fact that I didn't know this before.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• ... Mark one off, 75 days on the calendar to go. 75 days on the calendar to go, 75 days to go, ...

Viewing 15 posts - 46,576 through 46,590 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply