Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (12/9/2014)

andrew gothard (12/9/2014)

App set up so exactly the same call is made a shedload of times? I've actually seen a 'database problem' where things were admittedle on the slow side - mostly because the page was making about 10000 calls to repeatedly pull the same data. (We've got third party apps doing the same thing).

Hard to nail those in live when there's that much chaff. Works easiest if you can get a trace one process at a time in dev.

+1 here. I had a new app at a large company crash on day one. A quick profiler trace showed that they were doing this, same call, over and over. Enough to generate about my (then) 25MB trace file every second. On a SQL 2K server in 2001, this was good enough to get a VP down to my desk.

Just - wow. How did they test this little beauty? "Hey - it compiles!". "Cool, ship it"

I'm a DBA.
    I'm not paid to solve problems. I'm paid to prevent them.

• Jack Corbett (12/9/2014)

Steve Jones - SSC Editor (12/9/2014)

andrew gothard (12/9/2014)

App set up so exactly the same call is made a shedload of times? I've actually seen a 'database problem' where things were admittedle on the slow side - mostly because the page was making about 10000 calls to repeatedly pull the same data. (We've got third party apps doing the same thing).

Hard to nail those in live when there's that much chaff. Works easiest if you can get a trace one process at a time in dev.

+1 here. I had a new app at a large company crash on day one. A quick profiler trace showed that they were doing this, same call, over and over. Enough to generate about my (then) 25MB trace file every second. On a SQL 2K server in 2001, this was good enough to get a VP down to my desk.

My app does almost everything with server-side cursors through JDBC, so I'll see sp_cursorpepare and then 100's or 1000's of sp_cursorexec statements. In minutes I have like 1/2 million events for this app with RPC:COmpleted and Batch:Completed events.

Aye - I've got one of those too. Even better - unless I've completely misread the trace, someone - somewhere read that "SQL Server works better with stored procedures". "Cool" he says, so what appears to be happening is a call is made that creates a stored procedure with the required functionality with the helpful name of something like 23a5bc75648c947g, which is then executed with the required parameters. Then dropped. <Pauses for effect and listens to the jaws of every Threadizen sumultaneously hitting the floor>.

If I knew where their offices were ...

I'm a DBA.

• andrew gothard (12/10/2014)

Aye - I've got one of those too. Even better - unless I've completely misread the trace, someone - somewhere read that "SQL Server works better with stored procedures". "Cool" he says, so what appears to be happening is a call is made that creates a stored procedure with the required functionality with the helpful name of something like 23a5bc75648c947g, which is then executed with the required parameters. Then dropped. <Pauses for effect and listens to the jaws of every Threadizen sumultaneously hitting the floor>.

I dealt with a developer once that had done that. Better yet is the grant permissions statements inside of the proc that was created.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• SQLRNNR (12/10/2014)

andrew gothard (12/10/2014)

I dealt with a developer once that had done that. Better yet is the grant permissions statements inside of the proc that was created.

It sounds to me like someone needs to be beaten.

• SQLRNNR (12/10/2014)

There's a JDBC driver called JTDS that can do that automagically. It's one of the possible strategies for query preparation (prepareSQL jdbc url property).

See jdts FAQ

-- Gianluca Sartori

• Weirdest thing, my subscription to The Thread got turned off. I just figured after a couple of weeks you guys had finally given up on this thing.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• So in a meeting this morning I was going over a matrix for a 3rd-party product that lists what versions of the product are supported on what versions of Windows and SQL Server. The most recent version of the product says it is supported on SQL Server 2012 R2. I commented that I always like it when an app is supported on a version of SQL Server that doesn't exist. Then someone in the meeting (from IT who has to support SQL Server) says, "No, there is a SQL Server 2012R2, it's on the MS Licensing site". I know there isn't a SQL Server 2012R2. I'm losing faith in the people I work with.

• Jack Corbett (12/10/2014)

So in a meeting this morning I was going over a matrix for a 3rd-party product that lists what versions of the product are supported on what versions of Windows and SQL Server. The most recent version of the product says it is supported on SQL Server 2012 R2. I commented that I always like it when an app is supported on a version of SQL Server that doesn't exist. Then someone in the meeting (from IT who has to support SQL Server) says, "No, there is a SQL Server 2012R2, it's on the MS Licensing site". I know there isn't a SQL Server 2012R2. I'm losing faith in the people I work with.

I was once asked my my IT Director why I wanted a test box with SQL2005 and Windows 2003. He asked: "Why not go with Windows 2005?"

I should have said: "Ok"

:w00t:

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

So in a meeting this morning I was going over a matrix for a 3rd-party product that lists what versions of the product are supported on what versions of Windows and SQL Server. The most recent version of the product says it is supported on SQL Server 2012 R2. I commented that I always like it when an app is supported on a version of SQL Server that doesn't exist. Then someone in the meeting (from IT who has to support SQL Server) says, "No, there is a SQL Server 2012R2, it's on the MS Licensing site". I know there isn't a SQL Server 2012R2. I'm losing faith in the people I work with.

It's gotten crazy and confusing at times for some people. It might be they are incompetent, or it might be that they just were thinking of Windows.

I wish we'd go back to SQL 12, 14, 15, etc. This year stuff, and the R2 especially, is silly.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (12/10/2014)

Jack Corbett (12/10/2014)

It's gotten crazy and confusing at times for some people. It might be they are incompetent, or it might be that they just were thinking of Windows.

I wish we'd go back to SQL 12, 14, 15, etc. This year stuff, and the R2 especially, is silly.

+ 1

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

Maybe they were thinking SQL Server 2012 SP2?

--------------------------------------
    When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    --------------------------------------
    It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

• spaghettidba (12/10/2014)

SQLRNNR (12/10/2014)

There's a JDBC driver called JTDS that can do that automagically. It's one of the possible strategies for query preparation (prepareSQL jdbc url property).

See jdts FAQ

Aye. That's the one.

I'm a DBA.

I agree that it can be confusing, but when your in-house expert (which I am, even if it may be a stretch to use expert) says that wasn't a release, why argue. And I did say that there was an Windows 2012 R2, but NOT a SQL Server 2012 R2.

I don't know maybe I just needed more sleep last night, but that just got to me today.

Unless they follow through and get me a D2 version of SQL Server.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Grant Fritchey (12/10/2014)

Weirdest thing, my subscription to The Thread got turned off. I just figured after a couple of weeks you guys had finally given up on this thing.

Damn, he noticed! 😀

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

Viewing 15 posts - 46,561 through 46,575 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply