Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Jeff Moden (12/14/2014)

In the category of learning something new, I just did some testing on the differences between ONLINE and OFFLINE index rebuilds because of a post I saw on LinkedIn. I knew that ONLINE was going to be slower than OFFLINE but I'm totally shocked at the how much of a difference there is on multiple fronts. I was really skeptical of claims like "OFFLINE is 5 times faster" and "OFFLINE also does a better job of defragging", etc, etc, and, so, did a bunch of testing and found out it was all true. I'm truly amazed.

I'm also humbled by the fact that I didn't know this before.

Did you also test to see if there's as big a difference if you're using SORT_IN_TEMPDB=ON?

--------------------------------------
    When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    --------------------------------------
    It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

• Jeff Moden (12/14/2014)

In the category of learning something new, I just did some testing on the differences between ONLINE and OFFLINE index rebuilds because of a post I saw on LinkedIn. I knew that ONLINE was going to be slower than OFFLINE but I'm totally shocked at the how much of a difference there is on multiple fronts. I was really skeptical of claims like "OFFLINE is 5 times faster" and "OFFLINE also does a better job of defragging", etc, etc, and, so, did a bunch of testing and found out it was all true. I'm truly amazed.

Writeup?

I'm not surprised. Given that online essentially starts a transaction, flips two pages, commits, it should be a lot slower.

• Doesn't this look like one of out favourite "Kitchen" people (look at the query, db name is OrbeData_KithKitchens):-D

😎

• ... Mark one off, 74 days on the calendar to go. 74 days on the calendar to go, 74 days to go, ...

• Voting time again!

The tribal award finalists are out and a lot of threadizens are nominated in very different categories!

Somehow my blog ended up in the category "Best Blog", next to some industry giants like Thomas LaRock, Paul Randal and Brent Ozar.

Not sure how that happened πŸ˜€

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Awards/119953/

ps: you can also still vote for me at the author of the year award at MSSQLTips πŸ˜‰

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Eirikur Eiriksson (12/15/2014)

Doesn't this look like one of out favourite "Kitchen" people (look at the query, db name is OrbeData_KithKitchens):-D

😎

I thought that as soon as I saw it πŸ˜€ Although by all accounts, if it was, that thread would quickly become swamped with company spammers trying to hide any criticism of the kitchen company mentioned. I'm still ashamed that the guy behind a lot of the spam is reasonably local to me.

On two occasions I have been asked, "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" ... I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
    β€”Charles Babbage, Passages from the Life of a Philosopher

How to post a question to get the most help http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537

• Koen Verbeeck (12/16/2014)

Voting time again!

The tribal award finalists are out and a lot of threadizens are nominated in very different categories!

Somehow my blog ended up in the category "Best Blog", next to some industry giants like Thomas LaRock, Paul Randal and Brent Ozar.

ps: you can also still vote for me at the author of the year award at MSSQLTips πŸ˜‰

Good luck Koen!

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Grant Fritchey (12/16/2014)

Koen Verbeeck (12/16/2014)

Voting time again!

Good luck Koen!

And the same to you.

I already voted for you in several categories πŸ˜€

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Koen Verbeeck (12/16/2014)

Grant Fritchey (12/16/2014)

Voting time again!

Good luck Koen!

And the same to you.

I voted, some tough calls there. I like the categories.

But obviously the most prestigious must be "best costume", I felt JRJ didn't quite go all out at SQL Bits this year :O, and our very own Steve Jones stole the show at the Summit! πŸ˜‰

Rodders...

• rodjkidd (12/16/2014)

Grant Fritchey (12/16/2014)

Voting time again!

Good luck Koen!

And the same to you.

I voted, some tough calls there. I like the categories.

But obviously the most prestigious must be "best costume", I felt JRJ didn't quite go all out at SQL Bits this year :O, and our very own Steve Jones stole the show at the Summit! πŸ˜‰

Rodders...

Thanks for the heads-up, Koen. I always find the nominations interesting. They cover a good mix of topics and people and they always give me something to look up that I haven't seen before.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (12/15/2014)

Jeff Moden (12/14/2014)

Writeup?

I'm not surprised. Given that online essentially starts a transaction, flips two pages, commits, it should be a lot slower.

Writeup? I was thinking the same thing. It would have to be a "what I found" type of article rather than an "SME" type of article because I didn't know a thing about it before I did the testing.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Stefan Krzywicki (12/15/2014)

Jeff Moden (12/14/2014)

Did you also test to see if there's as big a difference if you're using SORT_IN_TEMPDB=ON?

Not yet but that's in the works. I also want to explore what it does to file sizes especially when you have partitioning in play that uses, for example, one file group and one file per month.

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• Gosh. I can't believe that the Hierarchies On Steroids #1 article made it to the "Bacon" list on the Tribal Awards. I wouldn't mind winning that one. The prize is a jar of "Bacon Jam" and I like bacon even more than pork chops. πŸ˜›

Koen, I'm on my way to vote for your blog. Thanks for the time you've spent on it.

Grant... voting for you on the "beyond the call of duty" category. It was absolutely awesome to have you here in Detroit for the SQL Saturday and you went out of your way to fit it into a nearly impossible schedule. Thank you, good Sir!

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Jeff Moden (12/16/2014)

Gosh. I can't believe that the Hierarchies On Steroids #1 article made it to the "Bacon" list on the Tribal Awards. I wouldn't mind winning that one. The prize is a jar of "Bacon Jam" and I like bacon even more than pork chops. πŸ˜›

Koen, I'm on my way to vote for your blog. Thanks for the time you've spent on it.

Grant... voting for you on the "beyond the call of duty" category. It was absolutely awesome to have you here in Detroit for the SQL Saturday and you went out of your way to fit it into a nearly impossible schedule. Thank you, good Sir!

Nothing to it. Plus it was a great opportunity to get to hang out with you and do curls. That doesn't happen often enough.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Jeff Moden (12/16/2014)

Steve Jones - SSC Editor (12/15/2014)

Jeff Moden (12/14/2014)

Writeup?

Writeup? I was thinking the same thing. It would have to be a "what I found" type of article rather than an "SME" type of article because I didn't know a thing about it before I did the testing.

Just my 2 Cents, by experience and if there are sufficient resources (which are needed by the ONLINE anyway), creating a new index and then drop the existing one beats ONLINE, just like The Miami Sharks, Any Given Sunday

😎

Edit: Typo

Viewing 15 posts - 46,591 through 46,605 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply