Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Brandie Tarvin (1/29/2013)

Steve Jones - SSC Editor (1/28/2013)

Perfect example of a question that should be here, not on ASK

What is ASK for?

I'm still not 100% sure. But, the concept is that some questions are direct, needing a direct answer. And, further, that these direction question/answer pairs can be marked such that the answer is definitively known. This makes web searches for the information more useful because people see the same question they have, and the marked answer that has been vetted by the community based on the voting.

That's the concept. The reality is, you need a collection of people acting as petit police to actually clean the bad questions right off the board like over at Stack Overflow. It does result in a cleaner set of question/answers, but it's also a rougher, less helpful place. Further, it seems that this interface, while darned simple and clean, is still too complex for the exact people who most need help. So, you get really messy questions with posts all over creation from people who are in anguish because they're over their heads at work and now on the internet. Messy.

However, it's growing by leaps and bounds, so something is happening there.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• I noticed that there's a user who seems to be digging up very old threads (all on the same topic with approximately the same question - inquiries about "sleeping" connections) and posting nearly the same reply in every thread. It's annoying to see these necro threads pop up in the daily e-mail because this person apparently did a search for a topic and basically spammed the same reply to every thread he found. I doubt it's worth taking any time or effort to do anything about it unless he keeps it up, and even then, a friendly word about it with the poster would be my first choice. Does anyone else have any strong feelings about this behavior?

Jason Wolfkill

• someone else does the same crap for anything barcode related because he made some plug in he's selling; annoying, to say the least, I agree.

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• wolfkillj (1/29/2013)

I noticed that there's a user who seems to be digging up very old threads (all on the same topic with approximately the same question - inquiries about "sleeping" connections) and posting nearly the same reply in every thread. It's annoying to see these necro threads pop up in the daily e-mail because this person apparently did a search for a topic and basically spammed the same reply to every thread he found. I doubt it's worth taking any time or effort to do anything about it unless he keeps it up, and even then, a friendly word about it with the poster would be my first choice. Does anyone else have any strong feelings about this behavior?

Link? I guess it depends on the context. E.g. if someone stumbled on an old thread through Google as they've experienced the same issue or found a solution to it, I don't have a problem with it as long as it's on topic. Unless they have some sort of link spam in their signature and it's a crude attempt at SEO...

But the same user systematically dragging up old posts sounds odd...

• HowardW (1/29/2013)

wolfkillj (1/29/2013)

I noticed that there's a user who seems to be digging up very old threads (all on the same topic with approximately the same question - inquiries about "sleeping" connections) and posting nearly the same reply in every thread. It's annoying to see these necro threads pop up in the daily e-mail because this person apparently did a search for a topic and basically spammed the same reply to every thread he found. I doubt it's worth taking any time or effort to do anything about it unless he keeps it up, and even then, a friendly word about it with the poster would be my first choice. Does anyone else have any strong feelings about this behavior?

Link? I guess it depends on the context. E.g. if someone stumbled on an old thread through Google as they've experienced the same issue or found a solution to it, I don't have a problem with it as long as it's on topic. Unless they have some sort of link spam in their signature and it's a crude attempt at SEO...

Hi HowardW,

I didn't include a link to the poster's profile that shows his four nearly identical posts to very old threads because I didn't want to "name and shame" inappropriately. I'll PM it to you if you're really interested. This person's posts are innocuous but repetitive. I too wondered what his game is - farming for post count, maybe? - but I suppose it's possible that the person found the answer to a problem that was dogging him and was so excited he wanted to share it through as many channels as possible.

Jason

[edit] Originally addressed this reply to Lowell. Sorry for my mistake! [/edit]

Jason Wolfkill

• wolfkillj (1/29/2013)

I didn't include a link to the poster's profile that shows his four nearly identical posts to very old threads because I didn't want to "name and shame" inappropriately. I'll PM it to you if you're really interested. This person's posts are innocuous but repetitive. I too wondered what his game is - farming for post count, maybe? - but I suppose it's possible that the person found the answer to a problem that was dogging him and was so excited he wanted to share it through as many channels as possible.

Jason

Feel free to PM me with the link.

• I went through all of the ones I saw yesterday, his post is not relevant, the over-sized plan cache problem on SQL 2005 RTM and SP1 is not going to cause sleeping connections (it causes suspended ones) and sleeping connections are not related to over-sized plan caches.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (1/29/2013)

I went through all of the ones I saw yesterday, his post is not relevant, the over-sized plan cache problem on SQL 2005 RTM and SP1 is not going to cause sleeping connections (it causes suspended ones) and sleeping connections are not related to over-sized plan caches.

You were remarkably patient in responding each time with a necro-thread notice and a substantive reply. I didn't bother to follow the link. Thanks for pointing out that it is irrelevant.

I PMed Steve with the guy's name and profile.

Jason Wolfkill

• wolfkillj (1/29/2013)

GilaMonster (1/29/2013)

I went through all of the ones I saw yesterday, his post is not relevant, the over-sized plan cache problem on SQL 2005 RTM and SP1 is not going to cause sleeping connections (it causes suspended ones) and sleeping connections are not related to over-sized plan caches.

You were remarkably patient in responding each time with a necro-thread notice and a substantive reply.

Copy - paste - paste - paste - paste ...

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• GilaMonster (1/29/2013)

wolfkillj (1/29/2013)

GilaMonster (1/29/2013)

You were remarkably patient in responding each time with a necro-thread notice and a substantive reply.

Copy - paste - paste - paste - paste ...

There you go ruining his compliment...:-P

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• wolfkillj (1/29/2013)

HowardW (1/29/2013)

wolfkillj (1/29/2013)

Hi HowardW,

Jason

I've been farming for post count, and I gotta say, it's really confusing because I can't tell where you're supposed to go cash in all these points for better armor...

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• jcrawf02 (1/29/2013)

wolfkillj (1/29/2013)

HowardW (1/29/2013)

wolfkillj (1/29/2013)

Hi HowardW,

Jason

I've been farming for post count, and I gotta say, it's really confusing because I can't tell where you're supposed to go cash in all these points for better armor...

You have to print them out and mail them to Steve with qualifying box tops.

--------------------------------------
    When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    --------------------------------------
    It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

• Stefan Krzywicki (1/29/2013)

You have to print them out and mail them to Steve with qualifying box tops.

Prizes must be redeemed in person at the ranch. Please call ahead to schedule a time.

• jcrawf02 (1/29/2013)

Don't ask me, I didn't even get a t-shirt for taking the top spot.

Gail Shaw

• jcrawf02 (1/29/2013)I've been farming for post count, and I gotta say, it's really confusing because I can't tell where you're supposed to go cash in all these points for better armor...

Posting on this thread ipso facto equals farming for post count. Anybody know where I can get the "underground post count farmers" hack?

Jason Wolfkill

Viewing 15 posts - 38,836 through 38,850 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply