Are the posted questions getting worse?

• bitbucket-25253 (1/25/2013)

Steve Jones - SSC Editor (1/25/2013)

Are the posted posts about the posted questions and posted answers getting posted worse-ly than previous posters posted in the posted past?

NO, NO, NO, YES YES, YES which equals MAYBE

In other words, it depends.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (1/25/2013)

Are the posted posts about the posted questions and posted answers getting posted worse-ly than previous posters posted in the posted past?

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Brandie Tarvin (1/25/2013)

L' Eomot Inversé (1/25/2013)

... but the rest of you (with some shining exceptions) are almost as good at lowering the level as I am.

Ah-HEM. I am BETTER at lowering the level than you are, Sir.

Wait. ... Did I really just admit to that?

Crap. There goes my BS score down the tubes.

So.... if you are better at lowering the level, then your post is less accurate than Tom's post. But Tom's implied that he was the best at lowering the level, and if this statement is more accurate than yours, you must be lowering the level less than him. So for your statement to be true (Tom > Brandie), his statement must be more true (Brandie et.al. > Tom)...<smoke pours from ears>[/url] OUCH!

The only logical conclusion is that you are both wrong. er. right. I mean wrong.

Drat, now I'm lowering the level!

Chad

• I can has SQL please?

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• I'm starting to pull my hair out over on Ask. Can the super beings of this discussion take a look please? And be nice. I think the person on the other end is WAY out of their depth. So let's follow the Roadhouse rules. Fair warning, said individual has a hard time operating the Ask interface (an indication of just how F'ed their SQL Server instances probably are) so the conversation is extremely split up.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Sorry, but that falls into the 10ft bargepole category for me.

Without the precise error it's a pain. Maybe he's running out of disk space, maybe something is cancelling the job/connection

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Chad Crawford (1/25/2013)

Brandie Tarvin (1/25/2013)

L' Eomot Inversé (1/25/2013)

... but the rest of you (with some shining exceptions) are almost as good at lowering the level as I am.

Ah-HEM. I am BETTER at lowering the level than you are, Sir.

Wait. ... Did I really just admit to that?

Crap. There goes my BS score down the tubes.

So.... if you are better at lowering the level, then your post is less accurate than Tom's post. But Tom's implied that he was the best at lowering the level, and if this statement is more accurate than yours, you must be lowering the level less than him. So for your statement to be true (Tom > Brandie), his statement must be more true (Brandie et.al. > Tom)...<smoke pours from ears>[/url] OUCH!

The only logical conclusion is that you are both wrong. er. right. I mean wrong.

Drat, now I'm lowering the level!

Chad

BWHAHAHAHA.

(Steve, our evil plan worked!)

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• A good friend of mine is having brain surgery today and I'm really anxious about it. It started at 8:30 and is supposed to take 5 or 6 hours. I'm hoping to go visit her wife at the hospital at lunch so she's not just sitting there the whole time worrying. If nothing else, she can have someone to worry with.

--------------------------------------
    When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

• Stefan Krzywicki (1/28/2013)

A good friend of mine is having brain surgery today and I'm really anxious about it. It started at 8:30 and is supposed to take 5 or 6 hours. I'm hoping to go visit her wife at the hospital at lunch so she's not just sitting there the whole time worrying. If nothing else, she can have someone to worry with.

Best wishes for your friend. Bring something to munch with you, and a deck of cards or other game. Stuff like that helps. At least, it did when my dad had spinal surgery.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Brandie Tarvin (1/28/2013)

Stefan Krzywicki (1/28/2013)

A good friend of mine is having brain surgery today and I'm really anxious about it. It started at 8:30 and is supposed to take 5 or 6 hours. I'm hoping to go visit her wife at the hospital at lunch so she's not just sitting there the whole time worrying. If nothing else, she can have someone to worry with.

Best wishes for your friend. Bring something to munch with you, and a deck of cards or other game. Stuff like that helps. At least, it did when my dad had spinal surgery.

Thanks, I think I'm going to take her to lunch as a way to break up her wait.

When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

Brandie Tarvin (1/28/2013)

Stefan Krzywicki (1/28/2013)

Thanks, I think I'm going to take her to lunch as a way to break up her wait.

Ditto the best wishes.

A close friend of ours had a brain tumor removed a few years ago and recovered just fine.

Do not feel bad if they curtail visiting the patient.

Too much stimulus is not good for recovery.

Amazing what they can usually do these days!

• Grant Fritchey (1/28/2013)

I'm starting to pull my hair out over on Ask. Can the super beings of this discussion take a look please? And be nice. I think the person on the other end is WAY out of their depth. So let's follow the Roadhouse rules. Fair warning, said individual has a hard time operating the Ask interface (an indication of just how F'ed their SQL Server instances probably are) so the conversation is extremely split up.

Perfect example of a question that should be here, not on ASK

Best wishes, and hope it goes well.

A good reminder to me of why it's important to enjoy life, take care of yourself, and appreciate the time you have. You never know when you may run into a situation like this that may reduce your quality of life dramatically.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (1/28/2013)

Grant Fritchey (1/28/2013)

I'm starting to pull my hair out over on Ask. Can the super beings of this discussion take a look please? And be nice. I think the person on the other end is WAY out of their depth. So let's follow the Roadhouse rules. Fair warning, said individual has a hard time operating the Ask interface (an indication of just how F'ed their SQL Server instances probably are) so the conversation is extremely split up.

What is ASK for?

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (1/28/2013)

Grant Fritchey (1/28/2013)

I don't know that the question is a good example, but the user absolutely is. If you're that out of your depth and that far past controlling and understanding what's going on in your systems, you can't possibly post a simple question and get a simple answer. You need lots of hand holding and repetition and all the things that we do well over here on SSC.

Viewing 15 posts - 38,821 through 38,835 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply