Are the posted questions getting worse?

• The problem with first impression is that you can have only one.

-- Gianluca Sartori

• jcrawf02 (5/17/2010)

GilaMonster (5/17/2010)

If that is plagiarised, MS needs to be informed (I know a couple people I can speak to there), seeing as that is an MSDN blog.

Note that there's some reasonably bad info there anyway. I kinda went to town over the weekend commenting there.

Is that why the comments are disabled? 😉

They're not disabled. Anonymous comments are disabled so you need to be signed into MSDN blogs to comment. Most of the MSDN blogs are like that

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • jcrawf02 (5/17/2010)

Um, Steve, not sure what's going on here, but the Database Weekly newsletter shows a link to this article: Are you Making This Common RAM Mistake?, which seems to have been posted by an MS employee, Anu Chawla? Only the article seems to reference the author as Wayne Berry, and the same article is published under his name here[/url]? (noted that google shows he also has twitter posts about the article, can't get to twitter from here)

I'm not sure either. I'll have to check. One of the others here added that blog to the feed and I didn't notice different authors. Most of them appear to be associated with MS and this guy is a tech evangelist. Might be posted with permission.

I see a few other links to him from around the 'net, so not sure if it's OK or not.

• My wife had an interesting thought about plagiarism, which was that websites should NOT take down those articles. Instead they should keep the title, the name of the plagiarizing "author" and the first paragraph or two as trailers... then put PLAGIARIZED in big bold red letters with a cite to the original content. Lock in the offender's name and photo, if available. Essentially, put their shame on display in perpetuity.

I like it.

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• We did that at one point here. Someone had sent us a plagiarized articles and we published them. It wasn't until about 6 months later that the person was caught. We left the title and a note that the content was plagiarized, so it was removed. With the author's name.

The author appealed that we remove them, and eventually we did. It's a hard judgment to decide do we keep this forever, do we potentially ruin his career? Do we just penalize him for some time? Is there a legal issue here at some point if we remove the content, but still say this person sent it in?

• CirquedeSQLeil (5/14/2010)

Nice set of rules / guidelines[/url] for Authors.

Thanks, been trying to get those down. After editing 5 articles last week that can't figure out how to use a "the" or a "which", I had to get them down.

• The comments on the MSDN blogs are down for an upgrade - might be awhile before they are back up. I can't even see Gail's comments on the article right now.

I also noticed that at the bottom of the article on TheCoderBlogs[/url] there is a link to "the original", which, although at a different spot on MSDN, has Anuchaw's name again, but all three have Wayne Berry's sig at the bottom right before Anu's. If you look at Anu's main blog page, every single entry has someone else's sig at the bottom. Wierd.

Chad

• Steve Jones - Editor (5/17/2010)

CirquedeSQLeil (5/14/2010)

Thanks, been trying to get those down. After editing 5 articles last week that can't figure out how to use a "the" or a "which", I had to get them down.

Ouch.

I think the recommendation to have somebody else review it first prior to submitting it is important. At the very least they may catch some of those grammatical errors. Hopefully the reviewer will also offer advice as to length, content and if the article is good enough to be published in their opinion.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Steve Jones - Editor (5/17/2010)

CirquedeSQLeil (5/14/2010)

I liked the link to the tutorial for the article/indefinite article. I mess this up a lot. It was a good refresher.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Use Full Links:
    KB Article from Microsoft on how to ask a question on a Forum

• The Dixie Flatline (5/17/2010)

My wife had an interesting thought about plagiarism, which was that websites should NOT take down those articles. Instead they should keep the title, the name of the plagiarizing "author" and the first paragraph or two as trailers... then put PLAGIARIZED in big bold red letters with a cite to the original content. Lock in the offender's name and photo, if available. Essentially, put their shame on display in perpetuity.

I like it.

I also like it.

Maybe put whatever codes search engines like so that these plagiarized articles appear first when searching on their name?

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• WayneS (5/17/2010)

The Dixie Flatline (5/17/2010)

My wife had an interesting thought about plagiarism, which was that websites should NOT take down those articles. Instead they should keep the title, the name of the plagiarizing "author" and the first paragraph or two as trailers... then put PLAGIARIZED in big bold red letters with a cite to the original content. Lock in the offender's name and photo, if available. Essentially, put their shame on display in perpetuity.

I like it.

I also like it.

Maybe put whatever codes search engines like so that these plagiarized articles appear first when searching on their name?

I think it sounds great and might be fine for a bit. The problem comes in with undue slander and labeling the offender permanently for having made a bad choice. If doing something like that, I would be really careful and tread lightly. If the person is a repeat offender, then one could be less cautious with each offense. That said, I would still not post it permanently.

Learn Extended Events

• Rocky Horror Picture Show is on FMC right now. My wife is watching it and cracking up while I try to finish up some blog posts.

I think I will skip the blog posts for now:cool:

Learn Extended Events

• CirquedeSQLeil (5/17/2010)

Rocky Horror Picture Show is on FMC right now. My wife is watching it and cracking up while I try to finish up some blog posts.

I think I will skip the blog posts for now:cool:

Let's do the DBCC Timewarp again!

Gaby

• Anybody have any news from Gus? Long time no see....

-Roy

• Likely he's busy and no time to post. Seems that people go through phases of posting and then stopping because of work.

I'll be out the next three days. Family in town as my oldest graduates high school. Woo-hoo!

Viewing 15 posts - 15,331 through 15,345 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply