Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Seems that people go through phases of posting and then stopping because of work.

Everybody does, but you! 😛

I'll be out the next three days. Family in town as my oldest graduates high school. Woo-hoo!

Congrats to your oldest! If you get tired of the family, you can always ask Lynn for his tent!

-- Gianluca Sartori

• Thanks, but even I've had periods where I haven't posted much. Course, I have to keep this baby going, so I don't get too much of a break.

I doubt I'll need the tent. Only have people here for 4 days, and since I see my brother and nephews once a year or less, I can take a few days of little ones running around.

• If someone is an expert in Sybase, does that mean that he will be an expert in MS SQL Server? Looking at a resume for an open job position.

-Roy

• No, but Sybase uses T-SQL, so there will be some familiarity with the language and syntax. Thats' about it.

• Steve Jones - Editor (5/18/2010)

Thanks, but even I've had periods where I haven't posted much. Course, I have to keep this baby going, so I don't get too much of a break.

I doubt I'll need the tent. Only have people here for 4 days, and since I see my brother and nephews once a year or less, I can take a few days of little ones running around.

No. However, they may be very good and may be able to pick it up quickly.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Steve, thats what I thought as well.

Jason, I am sure he can pick it up easy but here is my issue. I want someone coming in with more knowledge than me so that we can use his knowledge to get us more forward. If he is picking it up from me then I wont get that new ideas coming out of him.

-Roy

• Is Wayne out there changing his name?

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/UserInfo589137.aspx

Learn Extended Events

• Roy Ernest (5/18/2010)

Steve, thats what I thought as well.

Jason, I am sure he can pick it up easy but here is my issue. I want someone coming in with more knowledge than me so that we can use his knowledge to get us more forward. If he is picking it up from me then I wont get that new ideas coming out of him.

Then I would pass him by for this go around.

Learn Extended Events

• If you are wanting someone with more knowledge than you, good luck. Jason is probably right, but I think you'll struggle to find someone to move to the islands that's senior. Usually senior is with family and I'm not sure how many want to move to the islands.

• Hey guyz are you ready for 24 hours of PASS sessions, it starts tomorrow http://www.sqlpass.org/24hours/2010/Sessions.aspx

Adam Machanic, Chuck Heinzelman and Brent Ozar will have an interesting sessions

🙂

-------------------------------------------------------------
    "It takes 15 minutes to learn the game and a lifetime to master"
    "Share your knowledge. It's a way to achieve immortality."

• Roy, if this person is a sybase expert then this person most likely has more of a unix background. I came into sql server from a unix telecom/dba background. It is a different perspective. This background may be usefull or it may get in the way of learning, that will depend on the person and his/her willingness/ability to learn.

When I first started I wanted to do things in windows they way I was comfortable, in unix. All my ET of my ETL was done in unix from informix or oracle then loaded to a datawarehouse in sql server from flat files. Over time I learned to do everything I was comfortable doing in unix (ie sed,awk,grep,perl scripts etc) in DTS and t-sql then later ssis. Nowadays with microsofts adaptation of regular expressions I don't think there is anything I can't do in sql server that I used to do in unix.

I also agree with Steve that you're going to have a hard time finding someone as senior as yourself for you to learn more from. I think you are more senior than you think...I've read your articles.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Use Full Links:
    KB Article from Microsoft on how to ask a question on a Forum

• Trey, You are right regarding the Unix platform. He was working with Unix more than Windows and also did quite a bit of work with Oracle Database.

Regarding my knowledge, I know quite a bit. But I know that I haven't even scratched the surface regarding SQL Server. But I am always learning. That is the main reason why I hang around here. You learn so much out here that the books will never be able to teach me.

-Roy

• Anbody here want to help this OP, moving from MSDE to Window 7 platform.

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/FindPost923611.aspx

be much appreciated

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Ron

Please help us, help you -before posting a question please read[/url]
    Before posting a performance problem please read[/url]

• Steve,

I like the change to the headlines section on the front page.

Learn Extended Events

• CirquedeSQLeil (5/18/2010)

Steve,

I like the change to the headlines section on the front page.

Agreed, it's a nice change.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Use Full Links:
    KB Article from Microsoft on how to ask a question on a Forum

Viewing 15 posts - 15,346 through 15,360 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply