Would You Move For a Job?

• The other thing to keep in mind is that in large metropolitan areas the quality of public services can vary vastly over a very short distance, for example police showing up within minutes of being called or not showing up at all.

• TomThomson (4/8/2016)

Lynn Pettis (4/8/2016)

Making it easier for others:

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/estimator_main

I don't know how accurate it is for the USA, because I've never tried to live there - and short visits don't give much of a clue.

But for places I do know it doesn't seem to be sensible. For example it reckons Manchester is 5% more expensive than Edinburgh, but I'm pretty sure it's about 10% less expensive than Edinburgh. It doesn't have enough to data to give an estimate for Arrecife (perhaps for those who think null is a value I should say its estimate is "?"), but the data it does have is not much good - a 10Mbps ADSL connection is almost twice what it states, while a summer dress is less than 50% of what it shows (unless you deliberately go into the most expensive shops), and the rest of the prices are all over the place too.

So I would be inclined not to trust any of the numbers.

Same for Cheltenham England, only real correct data is rental prices and petrol, maybe food...although on mine, it states a summer dress is £3 from high street shops, and a pair of midrange running shoes are £6 (I wish) 😀

• tindog (4/11/2016)

TomThomson (4/8/2016)

Lynn Pettis (4/8/2016)

I don't know how accurate it is for the USA, because I've never tried to live there - and short visits don't give much of a clue.

But for places I do know it doesn't seem to be sensible. For example it reckons Manchester is 5% more expensive than Edinburgh, but I'm pretty sure it's about 10% less expensive than Edinburgh. It doesn't have enough to data to give an estimate for Arrecife (perhaps for those who think null is a value I should say its estimate is "?"), but the data it does have is not much good - a 10Mbps ADSL connection is almost twice what it states, while a summer dress is less than 50% of what it shows (unless you deliberately go into the most expensive shops), and the rest of the prices are all over the place too.

Same for Cheltenham England, only real correct data is rental prices and petrol, maybe food...although on mine, it states a summer dress is £3 from high street shops, and a pair of midrange running shoes are £6 (I wish) 😀

Should I apologize for making it easier for others to check out the site posted by someone else?

• Eric M Russell (4/6/2016)

We have open positions for SQL Server DBAs and Database Developers (v2008 - v2016), if anyone is interested in the North Atlanta area, specially Kennesaw/Marietta. Good job market, affordable housing, lots of parks and cross-metro bicycle tracks. Reply here by SSC private message if you're interested.

Well, after 25+ years at my company I was let go last week, I'm going to see what's available first in my area Eric, but I may be contacting you. Thanks for posting you had some openings.

-------------------------------------------------------------
    we travel not to escape life but for life not to escape us
    Don't fear failure, fear regret.

• Lynn Pettis (4/11/2016)

tindog (4/11/2016)

TomThomson (4/8/2016)

Lynn Pettis (4/8/2016)

Should I apologize for making it easier for others to check out the site posted by someone else?

Could be accurate for the USA, I'm in no place to confirm...

• Sorry to hear that, below86.

• below86 (4/11/2016)

Eric M Russell (4/6/2016)

We have open positions for SQL Server DBAs and Database Developers (v2008 - v2016), if anyone is interested in the North Atlanta area, specially Kennesaw/Marietta. Good job market, affordable housing, lots of parks and cross-metro bicycle tracks. Reply here by SSC private message if you're interested.

Well, after 25+ years at my company I was let go last week, I'm going to see what's available first in my area Eric, but I may be contacting you. Thanks for posting you had some openings.

Sorry to hear that, below86. What area do you live in?

Kindest Regards, Rod Connect with me on LinkedIn.

• below86 (4/11/2016)

That's tough, and should be a wake up call for all of us. However, don't get discouraged, there are a lot of companies out there who could use the wisdom and experience of gray haired DBA to help balance out an IT department full of Millenials. Seriously, there are companies out there searching for someone just like you.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• Eric M Russell (4/12/2016)

below86 (4/11/2016)

That's tough, and should be a wake up call for all of us. However, don't get discouraged, there are a lot of companies out there who could use the wisdom and experience of gray haired DBA to help balance out an IT department full of Millenials. Seriously, there are companies out there searching for someone just like you.

Thanks Rod, Beatrix, and Eric, I'm in Iowa.

It's been a little tough, got a good severance package, that helps take some of the sting out of it. I got the gray hair part down, :-), but it would be more of a developer than a DBA.

Trying to work on putting a resume together, It's been a long time since I had to do that. :w00t:

• below86 (4/11/2016)

Sorry to hear that. Are you near one of the user groups? Iowa or Quad Cities? There are some people there that might help.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (4/12/2016)

below86 (4/11/2016)

Sorry to hear that. Are you near one of the user groups? Iowa or Quad Cities? There are some people there that might help.

Both are 2+ hours away, I'm working with some people who are going to help with the resume and job search for now. We'll see what becomes of that. 🙂

• below86 (4/12/2016)

Eric M Russell (4/12/2016)

below86 (4/11/2016)

Thanks Rod, Beatrix, and Eric, I'm in Iowa.

It's been a little tough, got a good severance package, that helps take some of the sting out of it. I got the gray hair part down, :-), but it would be more of a developer than a DBA.

Trying to work on putting a resume together, It's been a long time since I had to do that. :w00t:

below86, if you don't mind I'd like to share with you what helped me when I was recently unemployed.

Off the top of my head there's two things that come to mind. I'm more like you; first I'm a developer and then second a DBA. (I was actually the "accidental DBA", since the original DBA had left some 6 years prior, I had to take over his duties and responsibilities.) The biggest thing that hurt me when I was unemployed is that at my old job we never used unit testing. (There's many reasons for that, none of them good.) I had to teach myself unit testing. I found an excellent video series on Microsoft's Channel 9 by Robert Green, which I found invaluable. I watched it, played around with unit testing until I felt comfortable. Believe me, that was a necessary skill for my job search. Every since job I applied for required unit testing. And it really isn't hard. If you don't know unit testing, then I highly recommend going to Channel 9 to watch Robert Green's Visual Studio Toolbox series on unit testing.

The second thing which I found quite useful is New Horizons Learning Center has an online group for people who are in transition. You can partake in weekly online video discussions as to improving your resume, better using LinkedIn, making your own brand and so on. And it's all free. I didn't find it until just about 6 weeks before I got my new job, but it was very helpful in learning things like that. In fact I wish I'd found this much earlier in my job search. I'm at work now and all of my notes at home, so I can't share more with you, but Google/Bing it and you'll find it, I'm sure. Well worth it, when you're in transition.

Hand in there, my friend. I feel for you. Please keep us posted.

Kindest Regards, Rod Connect with me on LinkedIn.

• While job searching last year, the biggest obstacle I had to overcome was IT recruiters. My advise is: Don't rely (or even waste your time) on 3rd party recruiters, always start your job search by applying for direct hire positions through the company's job board or by making contacts with hiring managers or employees of company through neworking groups or LinkedIn.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• Eric M Russell (4/12/2016)

While job searching last year, the biggest obstacle I had to overcome was IT recruiters. My advise is: Don't rely (or even waste your time) on 3rd party recruiters, always start your job search by applying for direct hire positions through the company's job board or by making contacts with hiring managers or employees of company through neworking groups or LinkedIn.

I'll think I'll be the one submitting my resume, they will just help my identify the companies. I tried using a recruiter about 18 years ago, wow time flies. I found them very frustrating and not at all helpful. I went on a job interview once and the interviewer must have asked me about my knowledge of 3 different languages, that I didn't have, but the recruiter had changed my resume to look like I did.

• I actually didn't have a problem with recruiters the last time around when I was looking for a job, but I was pretty specific about what I wanted and what I could do. I wasn't bothered too much with things way outside of my desired salary, location, or skillset. I actually got an interview and offer w/ one company that just turned out not to be a good fit culture-wise. Of course, the actual next job came through a friend who knew someone who was looking, but I'll admit that I was tempted by the offer that came through the recruiter. It's not the route for everyone, but they do have their place and some companies only hire through recruiters.

It may be worth using the recruiters to see what's out there. Their job is to get you placed, preferably happily because their job depends on that. If they send you on an interview that's a waste of time, add them to your "do not answer" list and move on. The ones I worked with around DFW were good about sending me the correct job description, salary range, and location first. They probably would have been more helpful if I was willing to drive to the other side of the metroplex to work (where a good portion of the IT jobs are located).

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 144 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply