Would You Move For a Job?

• BL0B_EATER (4/7/2016)

I Would not move, I have turned down much bigger salaries where if accepted I would've sacrificed my time with my daughters. When push came to shove I didn't have it in me.

That is what has kept me where I am, family. With my youngest getting close to graduating high school and being single again, I am free to consider relocation.

• Andy Warren (4/7/2016)

Lynn, it by Plugable, see http://www.amazon.com/Plugable-UD-3900-Universal-Docking-Ethernet/dp/B00ECDM78E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1460034655&sr=8-1&keywords=plugable+usb+3.0+dock. About $90. I'm using their two port USB switch in front of it, kinda KVM'ish.

Seems to work fine. Only issue I have now is that with 3 27" monitors that all run at 2560x1440, the dock will only drive one. With 2 it drops down to 2000xsomething. They (and others) also sell USB dongles (essentially a graphics card with a usb plug) and I'm hoping I can use those (at $60 each mind you!) to run all three at full resolution, though now that I think about it I should see if another dock will do what I want, might be cheaper to buy now. Still, even at the lowered resolution its nice.

Im still undecided on the three large monitors. Nice, but big, and a noticeable turn to left or right to use the side ones.

Well, my ideal workstation would actually have 6 monitors but I'll be happy with 3 of them. Co-work in Afghanistan had 6 24 in monitors on kvms so he could switch them between the different networks.

• Rod at work (4/7/2016)

Peter Schott (4/6/2016)

Rod, I did that very early on when I was just starting out. I ended up moving without any idea if I'd find a job and managed to get one just about the time my deadline was running out. That catapulted me into SQL Server and opened up a whole new world to my younger self. 🙂 I don't know that I'd do it now without knowing someone in the area and maybe having a place to live worked out beforehand. However, your situation is a bit more unique where it might be worth considering to get out of a bad situation. I'd definitely do some good research on where the jobs will likely be and the cost of living near-ish to those jobs or the commute costs before moving. For example, in DFW, the vast majority of tech jobs seem to be in the Northeast corner of the metroplex. (Not all, but a lot.) The cost of living nearby can be a bit expensive, but the commute can be a bear if you live further away.

Peter, thank you for the benefit of your experience! I've never done this sort of thing, but feel that I really might want to. Or at least not be forced to have to. There are certain places I'll stay away from due to cost of living (e.g.: San Francisco and apparently Atlanta and Chicago), but I'm open to other places.

I have sort of eyed the Atlanta area and it didn't seem that expensive, actually seemed to be comparable to where I live now in Colorado. That could have changed as it has been a couple of years since I last looked.

• Rod at work (4/7/2016)

Peter Schott (4/6/2016)

Rod, I did that very early on when I was just starting out. I ended up moving without any idea if I'd find a job and managed to get one just about the time my deadline was running out. That catapulted me into SQL Server and opened up a whole new world to my younger self. 🙂 I don't know that I'd do it now without knowing someone in the area and maybe having a place to live worked out beforehand. However, your situation is a bit more unique where it might be worth considering to get out of a bad situation. I'd definitely do some good research on where the jobs will likely be and the cost of living near-ish to those jobs or the commute costs before moving. For example, in DFW, the vast majority of tech jobs seem to be in the Northeast corner of the metroplex. (Not all, but a lot.) The cost of living nearby can be a bit expensive, but the commute can be a bear if you live further away.

Peter, thank you for the benefit of your experience! I've never done this sort of thing, but feel that I really might want to. Or at least not be forced to have to. There are certain places I'll stay away from due to cost of living (e.g.: San Francisco and apparently Atlanta and Chicago), but I'm open to other places.

Talking about Atlanta, I just got an email about a full time position there for a SQL Server DBA.

• Simple, No

Thomas

Thomas LeBlanc, MVP Data Platform Consultant

• Lynn Pettis (4/7/2016)

Rod at work (4/7/2016)

Peter Schott (4/6/2016)

I have sort of eyed the Atlanta area and it didn't seem that expensive, actually seemed to be comparable to where I live now in Colorado. That could have changed as it has been a couple of years since I last looked.

We've got a strong IT market here in Atlanta, and the housing market and rent are relatively inexpensive compared to other large metropolitan areas. My only complaint is traffic; the interstate is tpyically conjested in one direction due to folks driving from suburbs into work downtown in morning and home from work in evening. However, there are several companies with IT headquarters located outside the perimeter, like in Marietta or Norcross. Where I work and live, I manage to drive opposite the regular flow of traffic both ways.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• Thomas LeBlanc (4/7/2016)

Simple, No

Thomas

And as I said earlier, the area has apparently improved quite a bit in the tech area since I was there. 😉 Out of curiosity, which mall is now "the new mall"? I lost track as I was leaving the area. It was the one off of 10 towards N.O. with a mini Cafe du Monde in it. I'm glad that you're doing well in the area, Thomas.

• Eric M Russell (4/7/2016)We've got a strong IT market here in Atlanta, and the housing market and rent are relatively inexpensive compared to other large metropolitan areas. My only complaint is traffic; the interstate is tpyically conjested in one direction due to folks driving from suburbs into work downtown in morning and home from work in evening. However, there are several companies with IT headquarters located outside the perimeter, like in Marietta or Norcross. Where I work and live, I manage to drive opposite the regular flow of traffic both ways.

DFW is kind of like that - Frisco, Plano, some areas of Fort Worth have some good IT areas (though most are more inside the Metroplex - Addison, Richardson, Dallas, Irving). There are some less expensive areas to live, though that usually comes at the cost of either needing to use public transportation or dealing with a longer commute. However, there's a good tech community and it's a good area to live overall. The summers get a little hot, but there are some great companies in the area and no state income tax. 🙂 I never managed to get a local job that goes against the flow of traffic, but they do exist. Rent/housing costs can be all over the place, but there are affordable areas. Texas is growing quite a bit recently so it's definitely a seller's market for houses right now. Had a friend move to Tulsa, OK and he sold his house within a couple of days.

• Eric M Russell (4/7/2016)

Lynn Pettis (4/7/2016)

Rod at work (4/7/2016)

Peter Schott (4/6/2016)

We've got a strong IT market here in Atlanta, and the housing market and rent are relatively inexpensive compared to other large metropolitan areas. My only complaint is traffic; the interstate is tpyically conjested in one direction due to folks driving from suburbs into work downtown in morning and home from work in evening. However, there are several companies with IT headquarters located outside the perimeter, like in Marietta or Norcross. Where I work and live, I manage to drive opposite the regular flow of traffic both ways.

Is housing prices not super high like they are in San Francisco?

Kindest Regards, Rod Connect with me on LinkedIn.

• Rod at work (4/8/2016)Is housing prices not super high like they are in San Francisco?

I'm not sure housing prices as in San Francisco are like _anywhere_ else in the US. When I moved to DFW, I could get a townhome apartment, two bedroom, two bath, for ~ $800/month in a relatively nice neighborhood. Our house payment is less than that, though we have refinanced to bring it down since the initial mortgage. I'm also not sure that you could find too many houses for that rate now in our area as people are moving here at a pretty high rate.

I thought this was interesting, though may be worth checking to see how closely it lines up to your current area before trying others:

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/estimator_main

There are some other cost of living estimators online, but comparing cost of SF to DFW, it ends up being at least 40% cheaper to live here than in SF, with the most significant difference being in housing (go figure). I can't speak for Atlanta, but I imagine it would be similar.

• Peter Schott (4/8/2016)

Rod at work (4/8/2016)Is housing prices not super high like they are in San Francisco?

I'm not sure housing prices as in San Francisco are like _anywhere_ else in the US. When I moved to DFW, I could get a townhome apartment, two bedroom, two bath, for ~ $800/month in a relatively nice neighborhood. Our house payment is less than that, though we have refinanced to bring it down since the initial mortgage. I'm also not sure that you could find too many houses for that rate now in our area as people are moving here at a pretty high rate.

I thought this was interesting, though may be worth checking to see how closely it lines up to your current area before trying others:

There are some other cost of living estimators online, but comparing cost of SF to DFW, it ends up being at least 40% cheaper to live here than in SF, with the most significant difference being in housing (go figure). I can't speak for Atlanta, but I imagine it would be similar.

Making it easier for others:

• Rod at work (4/8/2016)

Eric M Russell (4/7/2016)

Lynn Pettis (4/7/2016)

Rod at work (4/7/2016)

Peter Schott (4/6/2016)

Is housing prices not super high like they are in San Francisco?

The average price for a four bedroom home in a quiet middle class suburban neighborhood a half hour drive from downtown is 170k - 250k. So, no, the home prices in the greater Atlanta metro area are totally not on the same level as San Francisco. Of course you can also pay $500 - $1,000,000 for a two bedroom high-rise condo inside the perimeter, or $30k for a trailer at the end of an unpaved road (but still a half hour drive from downtown), if that's what you're looking for.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• Lynn Pettis (4/8/2016)

Making it easier for others:

I don't know how accurate it is for the USA, because I've never tried to live there - and short visits don't give much of a clue.

But for places I do know it doesn't seem to be sensible. For example it reckons Manchester is 5% more expensive than Edinburgh, but I'm pretty sure it's about 10% less expensive than Edinburgh. It doesn't have enough to data to give an estimate for Arrecife (perhaps for those who think null is a value I should say its estimate is "?"), but the data it does have is not much good - a 10Mbps ADSL connection is almost twice what it states, while a summer dress is less than 50% of what it shows (unless you deliberately go into the most expensive shops), and the rest of the prices are all over the place too.

So I would be inclined not to trust any of the numbers.

Tom

• Rent, home prices, property taxes, local sales tax, daily commute time: any large metropolitan city offers it all. Averaging and ranking a city based on it's aggregate whole may be useful for local governments and businesses, but as an individual we can choose where exactly we live and shop. Within my local zip code, home prices range between 50k - 500k, and there is a Walmart across the street from a high-end boutique shopping center.

• Definitely true, but when you're in some areas getting to the less expensive shopping will cost in time and gas. When I moved into our current home, there were no direct highways to get out and the local grocery store was noticeably more expensive than going to the city 10 miles away. Getting to the city took easily 20-40 minutes at the time. However, home prices were relatively inexpensive and you can still find some that are lower, though values have jumped quite a bit in the last 10 years. We got a major chain grocery store close by a year or so after moving in and even more in recent years, but until that time you had to factor in more expensive groceries or cost of gas to get out to the less expensive stores. From what I gather, San Francisco is just expensive all around - taxes, high cost of places to live or lengthy commute are probably the main contributors. However, I'll generally agree that you can find less expensive costs around the major metro areas. I remember a girl who went to school Rochester, NY coming from California. She was amazed at how much less everything cost in Rochester. 🙂

I was just throwing a couple of things out there to consider and wasn't vouching for accuracy. However, you can count on taxes, general shopping, and housing as reasonable indicators. Knowing the local and state tax rates can help quite a bit when factoring in your adjustments from one area to another. I know when I moved from LA to TX, the cost of living was slightly higher, but I lost the state income tax so it was a net positive for me (and being able to find a job more easily at the time made a difference as well). However, I was young enough to be able to consider that move much more freely.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 144 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply