Where are you?

• Grant Fritchey (1/21/2010)

homebrew01 (1/21/2010)

Grant Fritchey (1/21/2010)

homebrew01 (1/12/2010)

Near Danbury Connecticut

So you're going to drive up for the next SNESSUG[/url] meeting, right?

I just looked it up ... Not exactly "down the street" from me.

Oh, what's an hour and a half to two hour round trip when there's SQL Server stuff to learn and networking opportunities?

How fast do you drive ? 2 hours each way to & from the RI border !

• Here's a second vote for Montreal, Quebec, Canada (well a bit outside, but that's where I work).

• homebrew01 (1/21/2010)

homebrew01 (1/21/2010)

homebrew01 (1/12/2010)

Near Danbury Connecticut

So you're going to drive up for the next SNESSUG[/url] meeting, right?

I just looked it up ... Not exactly "down the street" from me.

Oh, what's an hour and a half to two hour round trip when there's SQL Server stuff to learn and networking opportunities?

How fast do you drive ? 2 hours each way to & from the RI border !

Is it really 4 hours? I was joking when I suggested you drive 2. I sure wouldn't suggest 4.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Ninja's_RGR'us (1/21/2010)

Here's a second vote for Montreal, Quebec, Canada (well a bit outside, but that's where I work).

Where do you work at, and where do you live?

Cheers,

J-F

• Live in Sherbrooke, Work in Pneus Supérieurs at the moment. Also work with Sico, Fordia and a few others.

• Seattle, WA

• we don't ride elephants and lions don't wander the streets.

I'm the one with lions wandering nearby - living next to Lord Bath's Longleat house and safari park in rural Wiltshire. It's the south west end of the UK between two of the most beautiful cities - Bath and Salisbury and near to that most boring, expensive tourist magnet Stonehenge 🙂

With our miserable weather I'm jealous of Gail, remembering holidays at this time of year on the South African coast around JBay, PE, Knysna and Tsitsikama and in the Karoo - my son did a school exchange term with a school in Graaf Reinet.

• Live near Manchester, UK, work in the city. What can I say about this fine city? Well, it used to be said that the fastest way out of Manchester was a bottle of gin...I think it's improved since then. Well, a little at any rate. 🙂

• I'm from Croatia

-------------------------------------------------------------
    "It takes 15 minutes to learn the game and a lifetime to master"
    "Share your knowledge. It's a way to achieve immortality."

• P Jones (1/22/2010)

we don't ride elephants and lions don't wander the streets.

I'm the one with lions wandering nearby - living next to Lord Bath's Longleat house and safari park in rural Wiltshire. It's the south west end of the UK between two of the most beautiful cities - Bath and Salisbury and near to that most boring, expensive tourist magnet Stonehenge 🙂

With our miserable weather I'm jealous of Gail, remembering holidays at this time of year on the South African coast around JBay, PE, Knysna and Tsitsikama and in the Karoo - my son did a school exchange term with a school in Graaf Reinet.

Nice area - and right next to the Loins of Longleat 😉

Born Compton Basset near Swindon, moved to Padstow, Cornwall then Gibraltar then St Eval, Cornwall then Kinloss in the North of Scotland then Aberdeen Uni then Edinburgh Uni then London. Now Reading, Berkshire & working in the pretty town of Leamington Spa.

I'd give several toes to visit parts of Southern Africa, including Knysna, Windhoek, the Okavango delta.

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• Chris Morris-439714 (1/22/2010)

I'd give several toes to visit parts of Southern Africa, including Knysna, Windhoek, the Okavango delta.

Windhoek? Why on earth do you want to visit Windhoek? There's desert and ocean there and not much else.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (1/22/2010)

Windhoek? Why on earth do you want to visit Windhoek? There's desert and ocean there and not much else.

Hundreds of thousands of people visit Stonehenge every year, and there's not much there but a pile of rocks... 😉

Chris Morris-439714 (1/22/2010)

For the extraordinary wildlife which ekes out an existence along the shore, where morning fog from the sea condenses on tough grasses providing just enough moisture for them, and the critters, to survive.

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• So not so much Windhoek as the Namib itself.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

So not so much Windhoek as the Namib itself.

Have you been there, Gail? We have a surfeit of excellent wildlife programmes covering the big African critters, but a shortage of those covering the little critters, the ones which do all the real work (bit like programming really). Those in the Namib, and they're sparse, seem to me like real survival heroes.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 490 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply