• sushantkumar1984 (8/13/2010)

U can roam anywhere in chicago via CTA too

As long as you know where NOT to go.

-- You can't be late until you show up.

• tosscrosby (8/13/2010)

Ray K (8/13/2010)

tosscrosby (8/13/2010)

When are you coming in?

I'll be there on the Tuesday after Labor Day (which I believe is 9/7). I'll be coming in from Denver (arriving 3:30), and leaving for Albany (departing 9:30). So my wife and I will have six hours to kill in a town with which I'm not familiar.

I'll also be changing planes at O'Hare on my way out west, but that's not quite the same thing! 😉

I know some great places downtown (5 minutes from Union). Steak? Seafood? Chicago-style Pizza (ppfftt that New York stuff!)? What's your pleasure? Mayhaps I'll stay late and show you a few of our sights. You'll nearly be in the heart of it all, and with six hours to kill.....How are you getting to O'Hare, cab or "L"?

Hey, careful what you say about "that New York stuff"!!! 😛 😀

Seriously, my wife expressed an interest in trying genuine Chicago deep dish, so I think that pretty much clinches it. Granted, we do have Uno's restaurants around here, but I'm guessing that they're not the same as the original.

Actually, I don't have to "get" to O'Hare. We're flying out to Colorado (changing planes at O'Hare), and taking the train back home (changing trains at Union Station).

That'd be cool if we could hook up -- you'd be the second person on SSC that I'd be meeting on this trip! I have tentative plans to hook up with Steve Jones while I'm in Denver!

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
    Check out my blog at https://pianorayk.wordpress.com/

• Lou Malnati's with butter crust. About 10 minutes from Union Station. THE place for Chicago pizza - IMO (and both of my daughter's too!). Uno's is good, and it's sister Due's but they're more of a touristy-type crowd. I am in sir.

• Chicago does have good deep dish pizza, but don't be dissin' the New York stuff. It's goooood.

• tosscrosby (8/13/2010)

Lou Malnati's with butter crust. About 10 minutes from Union Station. THE place for Chicago pizza - IMO (and both of my daughter's too!). Uno's is good, and it's sister Due's but they're more of a touristy-type crowd. I am in sir.

Sounds good! Let me discuss with my wife and see if she's game (I don't see why she wouldn't be). If she's okay with it, I'll send you a PM with my contact info as we get closer to the date.

It'd be cool to have a local show us around as we kill time waiting for our train!

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+

• ppppffftttt - I've seen them bend a NY slice in half and eat it. How can that be good?

• Ray K (8/13/2010)

tosscrosby (8/13/2010)

Lou Malnati's with butter crust. About 10 minutes from Union Station. THE place for Chicago pizza - IMO (and both of my daughter's too!). Uno's is good, and it's sister Due's but they're more of a touristy-type crowd. I am in sir.

Sounds good! Let me discuss with my wife and see if she's game (I don't see why she wouldn't be). If she's okay with it, I'll send you a PM with my contact info as we get closer to the date.

It'd be cool to have a local show us around as we kill time waiting for our train!

It would be my honor.

• tosscrosby (8/13/2010)

ppppffftttt - I've seen them bend a NY slice in half and eat it. How can that be good?

Unless you're eating deep dish, you are supposed to be able to fold it. That's the sign of a properly made crust!!

I don't get into this thin and crispy stuff. Does not compute. :ermm:

• sing4you (8/13/2010)

tosscrosby (8/13/2010)

ppppffftttt - I've seen them bend a NY slice in half and eat it. How can that be good?

Unless you're eating deep dish, you are supposed to be able to fold it. That's the sign of a properly made crust!!

I don't get into this thin and crispy stuff. Does not compute. :ermm:

I saw something like Pizza Wars on either The Travel Channel or Food Network (forgot which one) where they compared New York Thin Crust against Chicago Deep Dish.

Personally, I don't think you can compare them. They're apples and oranges. I love 'em both, but I love them for different reasons.

(Although, as a lifelong New Yorker, I will admit a bias toward New York style! ;-))

• Ray K (8/13/2010)

Personally, I don't think you can compare them. They're apples and oranges.

Agreed!

• Hello all

I am from Russia.

p.s.

There are no bears in the streets 😀

• alexmpd (8/19/2010)

Hello all

I am from Russia.

p.s.

There are no bears in the streets 😀

Where in Russia (just out of curiosity)?

• Ray K (8/19/2010)

Saint Petersburg

• alexmpd (8/19/2010)

Ray K (8/19/2010)

Saint Petersburg

I would love to visit Russia someday. Maybe at some point, when I actually have money to travel the world.

I've been to St. Petersburg, Florida. Does that count? 😀

• Ray K (8/19/2010)

alexmpd (8/19/2010)

Ray K (8/19/2010)

Saint Petersburg

I would love to visit Russia someday. Maybe at some point, when I actually have money to travel the world.

I've been to St. Petersburg, Florida. Does that count? 😀

I've been to Odessa, TX. :w00t:

Viewing 15 posts - 316 through 330 (of 490 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply