VMWARE vs stand alone

• If you got that many servers, I'm not sold on a pure MS base Terminal Service solution, mainly because the administrative tools are rather limited. Combined with SMS or another solution to handle application deployment, etc., it may be satisfactory.

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• I’m not pushing vmware, I recommended the stand alone blade w/2 cpu’s.  We have a heavy load of stored procedures that need optimization and I would think logically you would want as many cpu’s to allow sql server to do its query parallelism.  Plus the Profiler would not run when I tested the two vmware ESX setups at the same time.  Yes, I agree with creating an instance over vmware any day but there’s no need for it.   

When I was asked the other day to hook up to an “image” sql server to restore a backup, it did not work.  I had to delete the database that was in the “image” and recreate the database before I could do a restore.   Not worth it if SQL Server can be the best as a stand alone server without the buggy issues and unknowns of running another software program in the background with SQL Server.  Also, if that server goes down then the whole caboodle of virtual servers go down together.  That would spell nightmare for network management without a backup server to redeploy quickly to keep production alive…I would think.

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply