The Daily Commute

• sorry hehe it takes 1hr and 6min to London waterloo, that is still quicker, I just checked out nationalrail.co.uk I still knew it was quicker. cost is 12:80 for the day with a travel card that is not back cheaper than here still. costs me over 15 pounds a day here and takes much longer. sorry to be hasty with the 5 pound fair. hehe that must have been a while back however, you do still have the day travel card and Sorry reading is still futher away that I live from Tokyo. I was checking it out I live around the eq of travel from Croydon to London. so London is still better for travel than japan and cheaper. So London don't complain. πŸ˜‰

• tedo (7/29/2008)

sorry hehe it takes 1hr and 6min to London waterloo, that is still quicker, I just checked out nationalrail.co.uk I still knew it was quicker. cost is 12:80 for the day with a travel card that is not back cheaper than here still. costs me over 15 pounds a day here and takes much longer. sorry to be hasty with the 5 pound fair. hehe that must have been a while back however, you do still have the day travel card and Sorry reading is still futher away that I live from Tokyo. I was checking it out I live around the eq of travel from Croydon to London. so London is still better for travel than japan and cheaper. So London don't complain. πŸ˜‰

No worries mate. Yep I get that Waterloo train. The Β£12.80 is after 9.30am, it would cost double to get to work...

Croydon's actually really handy, straight up to London Bridge in about 20 mins. Chav City, yuck!

β€œWrite the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• I was about to ask where you get your train fair prices!

Β£17.80 for a daily travelcard. I just get the return from Waterloo though and walk to Piccadilly. Comes in at Β£190 per month.

Moving tomorrow, so the monthly goes up by Β£30...Still...an extra 20 minutes sleep on the train πŸ™‚

• cool sounds good, hehe when I lived in London, I lived in oval, what a crap whole that was but very handy to London, and cheap I could walk most places if I never wanted to get robbed, πŸ˜‰ esp around stockwell. lol Croydon was not so bad however, you don't want to live in norbury, πŸ˜‰ or maybe west croydon, purley is the place to live. πŸ˜‰

• Karma (7/9/2008)

Lynn Pettis (7/9/2008)

Clive Strong (7/9/2008)

WFH...Hmmmm the Xbox360 is there - bad idea.... πŸ˜›

But yes, the price of petrol is a killer...As I catch the train, I rarely use the car these days, but I had to fill up this weekend and it came out at Β£65 ($120 roughly)...

Curious, how many US gallons was that? My wife complains about filling up her Envoy (gas guzzling SUV). I put in $75.00 dollars worth the other day (pay at the pump using Visa stopped at that point, after about 18.5 gallons).

Petrol = Gas, Petrol in the UK ~Β£1.19 a litre that gives you 14.4 US gallons for Β£65 ($120)

K.

Just had to share - my wife and I went to Niagara Falls, and we spent four days driving around the area in Ontario (I'm from the US) and the whole time I was just steamed that the gas stations said 0.99 (this was a year or so ago), and I was convinced that we were getting screwed back home. I decided to fill up before heading back home, and FINALLY the light bulb came on as I pulled up to the pump and realized the price was per litre, not per gallon. Hilarious. I took a picture on my cell phone so I could remember it and laugh at myself.

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• I'm a little over 11 miles (car route)

Saugatuck to Glenbrook, Connecticut USA

takes about half an hour in the mornings (leave 7:40 or 6:30 if I am going to the gym first)

coming home? much longer, unless I leave after 6:30

there is a train which leaves Westport at 7:30 (a 5 minute walk)

arrives in Stamford 20 minutes later and I wait half an hour for the New Canaan line (Glenbrook first stop)

I have taken my bike - takes about an hour, hour and 15 minutes, depending on route

• Matt Conway (7/4/2008)

For those of you in the UK my daily commute involves travelling up/down the M62 from Manchester to Leeds!!!!

The M62 doesn't go up/down (except vertically) - it goes across! The M6 and M1 go up and down πŸ™‚

I do 30 miles each way from just outside Liverpool to Chester - often it takes me 30 minutes to get across Runcorn Bridge, and it would take even longer to go via the Mersey tunnels.

The quickest I've done the journey is 20 minutes, the slowest was over 2.5 hours (due to roadworks on the bridge)

• Runcorn bridge can be a nightmare some days.. though defo better than the tunnels

--------------------------

I long for a job where my databases dont have any pesky users accessing them πŸ™‚

• Chris Quinn (8/1/2008)

Matt Conway (7/4/2008)

For those of you in the UK my daily commute involves travelling up/down the M62 from Manchester to Leeds!!!!

The M62 doesn't go up/down (except vertically) - it goes across! The M6 and M1 go up and down πŸ™‚

I do 30 miles each way from just outside Liverpool to Chester - often it takes me 30 minutes to get across Runcorn Bridge, and it would take even longer to go via the Mersey tunnels.

The quickest I've done the journey is 20 minutes, the slowest was over 2.5 hours (due to roadworks on the bridge)

Well, technically if i start in Manchester i have to drive 'up' the M62 to get over the Saddleworth Moor...then back down again after Halifax to Brighouse..and back up again to Leeds πŸ™‚

• 2km (5mins) commute each way - if there are traffic problems then add another 5mins max. Traffic-related stress relieved by a walk along the beach after work :w00t:

• I live in Australia, and I travel a half hour by car AWAY from the city, so I don't really have any traffic.

However, I also have permission to spend some of my time working from home which is accomplished using Remote Desktop to login to my computer at the office.

In this day and age, in the field we're in, I don't understand why more people aren't telecommuting. It really gets my goat to have to spend an hour a day traveling even SOMETIMES at this point. There's no reason for it, as I am just as effective working from home as from the office, and in fact, am usually more efficient, as I don't have to keep being interrupted by users and others.

I think working one day/week in the office and spending that whole day liaising with people who need to meet with me, and working 4 days/week from home would work the best.

What do you all think out there?

• I drive for 15 minutes to get to my office. Working at home can be benificial if you dont have kids OR the are school going. Mine are too young for school. Its been over a month since I last used my PC at home...:w00t:

Today I will switch it on to see if its working or not...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sometimes, winning is not an issue but trying.
    You can check my BLOG
    [font="Arial Black"]here[/font][/url][/right]

• Also, working at home also depends on the policy oif the company you are working in. If it is a bank or even a Software development firm, the don't and they can't allow you to work at home. there are very limited options available for working at home... I think...

Atif Sheikh

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sometimes, winning is not an issue but trying.
    You can check my BLOG
    [font="Arial Black"]here[/font][/url][/right]

• Atif Sheikh (8/4/2008)

Also, working at home also depends on the policy oif the company you are working in. If it is a bank or even a Software development firm, the don't and they can't allow you to work at home. there are very limited options available for working at home... I think...

Atif Sheikh

Not so. On a six-month contract with Barclays two years ago, all members of our team were expected to wfh for a couple of days a week. I chose not to because Churchill Place was close to my old flat.

β€œWrite the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• I drive 2 miles to the bus station, then sleep for 30 mins to work through the traffic on the bus πŸ˜€

20 miles a week extra 5 hours sleep bonus πŸ˜€

--Shaun

Hiding under a desk from SSIS Implemenation Work :crazy:

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 97 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply