ssis and ssrs interview questions

• pleasehelpme (11/2/2009)

gilamonster,

it's not your business how people like to answer the questions in the interview. Stop whining ok, you are annoying.

Hate to disappoint you, but the ethical standards of people in this profession do have an impact on everyone in the profession. If we don't police them ourselves, then it falls to legal authority. I'd rather we police it by calling people on it directly, than resort to threat of lethal force by police.

Professions that don't self-enforce end up with bodies like the US SEC. Government authority boils down to threat of lethal force. This is true in every society this planet has ever seen.

Does it take a gun to make you behave? Doesn't for me, and I prefer to keep it that way.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

gilamonster,

it's not your business how people like to answer the questions in the interview. Stop whining ok, you are annoying.

Heh... nah... what's realy annoying is people in interviews who haven't taken advice from folks like the GilaMonster and then whine about not getting the job. ๐Ÿ˜‰

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• SQL Server Reporting Services interview questions

What can SQL Server Reporting Services do?

With Reporting Services, you can create interactive, tabular, graphical, or free-form reports from relational, multidimensional, or XML-based data sources.............

Read answer

Explain the architecture of reporting services.

Reporting Services runs as a middle-tier server as part of the existing server architecture.

SQL Server 2000 should be installed for the database server, and Internet Information Services 6.0 as a Web server............

Read answer

Describe Reporting Lifecycle.

The phases of the Reporting Life Cycle involve:

Report authoring

This stage involves creation of reports that are published using the Report Definition language. RDL is an XML based industry standard for defining reports..............

Read answer

What are the ways to tune Reporting Services?

Following are a few ways you can tune up Reporting Services:

You can expand your current Server or avail the reporting service database on another server. Depending on report characteristics and application logic, it is sometimes better to have a copy of data separate to improve the performance............

Read answer

How to schedule SSAS Database backup.

SSAS database backups can be taken using SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS). In order to create a backup using the SSAS backup option, a SQL Server Agent Job needs to be created and scheduled.............

Read answer

How to Generate an Auto Incremental Number in a SSIS Package?

Auto incremental numbers in a SSIS package can be provided using script components. The script component should be dragged and dropped to the data flow and Transformation should be the component type...............

Read answer

Lookup's are a key component in SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS). Explain its purpose

Lookup transformation combines data from two sources. The fields of these sources are matched. The lookups performed by the transformation are case sensitive................

Read answer

How to unzip a File in SSIS?

Execute Process Task in the Control Flow task can be used to unzip a file. The execute process task needs to be dragged and dropped to the control flow followed by configuration of Executables to specify the path of application, Arguments to extract zip files (path) and Working directory...............

Read answer

SQL Server Reporting Services interview questions - posted on September 30, 2009 at 15:50 AM by Vidya Sagar

What can SQL Server Reporting Services do?

SQL Server Reporting Service is one of the server-based software systems that generate reports developed by Microsoft. It is used for preparing and delivering interactive and variety of printed reports. It is administered through an interface that is web based. Reporting services utilizes a web service interface for supporting and developing of customized reporting applicatons. It can be competed with Crystal Reports and other business intelligent tools.

Explain the architecture of reporting services.

Reporting services architecture is comprises of integrated components. It is multi-tiered, included with application, server and data layers. This architecture is scalable and modular. A single installation can be used across multiple computers. It includes the following components:

- Report Manager, Reporting Designer, Browser Types Supported by Reporting services, Report server, Report server command line utilities, Report Server Database, Reporting Services Extensibility, Data sources that is supported by Reporting Services.

Describe Reporting Lifecycle.

The Reporting Lifecycle includes

- Report designing โ€“ The designing is done in Visual Studio Report Designer. It generates a class which embodies the Report Definition.

- Report processing โ€“ The processing includes binging the report definition with data from the report data source. It performs on all grouping, sorting and filtering calculations. The expressions are evaluated except the page header, footer and section items. Later it fires the Binding event and Bound event. As a result of the processing, it produces Report Instance. Report instance may be persisted and stored which can be rendered at a later point of time.

- Report Rendering: Report rendering starts by passing the Report Instance to a specific rendering extension (HTML or PDF formats). The instance of reports is paged if paging supported by output format. The expressions of items are evaluated in the page header and footer sections for every page. As a final step, the report is rendered to the specific output document.

What are the ways to tune Reporting Services?

To tune-up the Reporting Services, follow the below mentioned ways:

- Expand the Server or utilizing the reporting services of another database server. For better embedding of report contents, report applicationโ€™s logic and characteristics can have a duplicate copy of data.

- Replication of data continuously. Using nolock, the issues of locking can well be resolved and the performance of the query can be improved. This can be done by using dirty read at the time of duplicating the data is unavailable.

• Interview Qns

What is X-path?

What is Validation? How do we do?

Difference between Group-by and Order-by?

What is FILLFACTOR?

How do we return value in Store proc?

In Store Proc how do we only give read permission?

Where do we write SQL commands in DTS?

How do we take a file from network for DTS?

How do we move DB from one server to another server?

What are DBCC commands?

What is difference between logical DB and Physical DB?

What are the difference between Cluster and Non-clusters?

What is Inner Join and Outer Join?

What are the naming conventions for index?

What is * schema and snow flake schema?

What is difference between Dimensional Table and Fact table?

What are the difference between DTD and XML?

What is XML file specification?

How do we download and upload data from XML file?

1) What is olap and oltp. do u know the difference b/w them??

2) What are the components of ssrs

3)what is notification service and where do u use it

4)what is ssis? diff b/w ssis and dts

5)what is sql profiler?

6)what is msdtc?

7)what is firewall in sql server? how do u change it??

8)what is a linked server?

9)what is sql injection?

10) do u know what is lock escalation??

11) what is clustering in sql server? Explain AA and AP modes? What happens when the common hard drive fails..

12) what are isolation levels??

13) how do u write extended store proc's?? difference b/w extended and regular store proc's

14)what is an orphan sessions??

15) what is a temp table?? How do u create and its advantages and disadvantages

16) what is a transaction log? What do u do if the transaction log growth is abnormal??

17) Can DTS be used to send mail??

18) what is a DTS connector. Name some for example.

19) How do u connect to another oracle server??

20) Is the data transfer between linked servers on demand or continuous??

What type of replication did you use and what are all the steps?

What is an index and how many types and what is the difference?

How can you find out a deadlock in a stored proc?

What are the steps we have to take for best performance?

What is DTS?

How do you take transactional back and how will you restore it, if is there any differential back up?

What is isolation?

When did you use triggers?

How many ways we can transport a database?

What are all the DBCC commands generally use in daily basis?

What are all the responsibilities in a daily basis?

How many servers in your company and what is the maximum size of the database you have involved? 25 server

Have you involved in production support?

Have you worked on OLTP and OLAP, and what are they?

When will dead locks occur?

How can you remove dead locks in a stored proc?

Tell me about your experience?

What are the Stored Proc you written?

What is the purpose of the Proc?

What is the difference between Indexes?

What are the disadvantages of Indexes?

Why do we use Identity columns?

If we delete a row in a table which has Identity column and if we want to insert in the same row with different row what should we do?

How do we populate first 10rows from a table?

What is a cursor and what are the disadvantages?

How do we check the performance of a stored proc?

How to get first 3 characters from a string?

How to remove blank spaces from a String?

How SQL Server tell us to use Index on a particular column?

You can use the SQL Server Profiler Create Trace Wizard with "Identify Scans of Large Tables" trace to determine which tables in your database may need indexes. This trace will show which tables are being scanned by queries instead of using an index.

What are triggers? Tell me where do you used in your previous project?

What is group-by and order-by where do you used in your stored proc?

What is a global variable?

Diff b/w scope_identity and @identity

They both will return a newly generated ID value but the difference is:

The @@IDENTITY function returns the last IDENTITY value that was generated in your connection

It returns the last IDENTITY value generated in the scope. So what is the scope? The scope is a batch of SQL code such as s stored procedure, a trigger, or a user defined function.

How do u make sure that a query does not return a null value?

What is Colaese stmt in T-Sql?

The COALESCE Function: A more efficient approach to creating dynamic WHERE clauses involves using the COALESCE function. This function returns the first non-null expression in its expression list.

Diff b/w delete and truncate?? Which one is better and why?

Diff b/w Select into and Create

Diff b/w where clause and having clause

Having Clause is basically used only with the GROUP BY function in a query. WHERE Clause is applied to each row before they are part of the GROUP BY function in a query.

What is a corelated query?

What is update statistics?

This command is basically used when we do a large processing of data. If we do a large amount of deletions any modification or Bulk Copy into the tables, we need to basically update the indexes to take these changes into account. UPDATE_STATISTICS updates the indexes on these tables accordingly.

What is left outer join?

gilamonster,

Interesting take. Consider that many of the people here are the ones performing the interviews and asking the questions. Gail's response was very polite and professional - no hint of whining. It was also very courteous of her to respond to your questions. Show a little respect for the profession and those sharing their time with you, and you will learn far more than memorizing Q&A's.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Its not about memorizing the Q&A. Its about SQL is easy to Learn but hard to master. So Its just helping what part of SQL they have to concentrate to pass through an interview. I believe they know most the SQL but just confused and want some guidance.

I request everyone to be professional in giving their reply than arguing to each other. If you can help ...please help them who are in need but please don't discourage them.

Thanks

• malli.chitturi (11/2/2009)

Its not about memorizing the Q&A. Its about SQL is easy to Learn but hard to master. So Its just helping what part of SQL they have to concentrate to pass through an interview. I believe they know most the SQL but just confused and want some guidance.

I request everyone to be professional in giving their reply than arguing to each other. If you can help ...please help them who are in need but please don't discourage them.

Thanks

Unfortunately, this is not normally the case when people are asking for answers to possible interview questions. Most are simply attempting to complete a short term memory load in the hopes of getting a position for which they may not actually qualify for otherwise.

If they were truely interested in learning more about SQL Server they would actually be doing something to increase their knowledge. One way of doing that is to purchase the Developers Edition of SQL Server and actually setup a sandbox where they could work closely with the various aspects of SQL Server where they are weak, developing senarios that will force them to learn things, and if they run into problems coe to a site like SSC ask intelligent questions that will enhance their understanding of what they are attempting to accomplish.

Unfortunately, what we get is "please provide me answers to the following questions."

I will willing help the former, but helping the later just hurts that individual, the business that may hire them, and our community in general.

• Thats true...I agree with you.

I believe to improve our knowledge on SQL server. We should discuss the problems we are facing at the work place.

Its not about memorizing the Q&A. Its about SQL is easy to Learn but hard to master. So Its just helping what part of SQL they have to concentrate to pass through an interview. I believe they know most the SQL but just confused and want some guidance.

Thanks

Heh... yeah... ok... professionally speaking... I can only hope that the people you provide interview questions to show up on your doorstep for an interview. ๐Ÿ˜‰ Let's stop and think about this... the person asking for interview questions doesn't even know how to search the web for such things or maybe they're just bloody lazy. Do you really want someone like that on your team? I don't. I'm certainly not going to help them get on someone else's team, either. Now THAT would be "unprofessional". While you're at it, you should teach them how to search the web...

[font="Arial Black"]Click here for free tutorial[/font]

If you want to help someone like this out, do what many of us do... tell them to buy a copy of the Developer's Edition and a good book or two, learn SQL and SQL Server, and then write their own interview questions. Both they and the company the eventually go to work for will, professionally speaking, be much better off.

Now... if someone actually tries, get's stuck, and needs some help, you need to spend a little time on this forum and see the incredible help they actually do get. But, asking for interview questions? That's a whole lot unprofessional and any "strong" advice that people get for asking that is well deserved especially when they snap on someone like Gail who actually gave good advice.

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

Thanks

Your intentions are good but in my opinion misguided. No matter how you try and put a positive spin on this. You are helping people get through an interview, people without the skills to do the job.

You are hurting the industry and making our job harder. as to your comment about them knowing most of the sql but confused, I find pathetic to be honest. I didnt get the last 2 interviews i went for because I was honest about my ability, I would never ever try and memorise Q&A if you dont have the intelligence to either go for an interview based on your existing knowledge and experience or you dont want to do the prep yourself, you should not be doing this job.

So Its just helping what part of SQL they have to concentrate to pass through an interview.

Are you forgetting that areas you are tested on in an interview, are basically the areas that you need to be strongest in, because that is probably what the client needs the DBA to basically do.

If the client needs someone to do advanced ETL or Datawarehousing, do you honestly think that being able to answer a few questions about basic ETL through memorising Q&A here, qualifies you for the job.

You make things harder for me and others who have to compete in interviews against people who dont have the experience but can memorise Q&A. if you wanted to help, you would post links to subject area which explain the subject in detail rather than just posting answers.

And the whining comment mentioned previously, was uncalled for and totally unprofessional.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [highlight]Recommended Articles on How to help us help you and[/highlight]
    [highlight]solve commonly asked questions[/highlight]

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help by Jeff Moden[/url]
    Managing Transaction Logs by Gail Shaw[/url]
    How to post Performance problems by Gail Shaw[/url]
    Help, my database is corrupt. Now what? by Gail Shaw[/url]

• Jeff Moden (11/2/2009)

pleasehelpme (11/2/2009)

gilamonster,

Heh... nah... what's realy annoying is people in interviews who haven't taken advice from folks like the GilaMonster and then whine about not getting the job. ๐Ÿ˜‰

I just think everyone should post 'questions' for the OP, let the OP answer them, and then have some real discussion begin.

That would be constructive.

Hopefully those that memorize a Q & A list run into someone interviewing that has a test environment and wishes to see a 'hands on demonstration' of all that knowledge.

Like several others have mentioned, 'I don't know but here are the steps I would take' is a good answer. It shows where you are experienced, and how you go about problem solving.

Greg E

• Thanks NIRANJANA-783051

Learned some new concepts while trying to figure out the answers....

• Yes thats the way you should dig the answer. just dont mug up the Q & A . It will help you a lot

• Greg Edwards-268690 (11/3/2009)

Jeff Moden (11/2/2009)

pleasehelpme (11/2/2009)

gilamonster,

I just think everyone should post 'questions' for the OP, let the OP answer them, and then have some real discussion begin.

That would be constructive.

Ok... I'm game... and these are actually serious questions that I'd love to see discussed on this thread. I'm not poking fun at anyone with this especially since one person (Deeps-965988) actually did do something constructive with the questions which was a very refreshing change from the norm...

Dear Op(s)...

1st question... When you run into a problem you don't have the knowledge to solve, what do you do to solve the problem?

2nd question... Let's take this thread as an example... for those that asked for questions, why did you feel it necessary to ask for help instead of doing the necessary research to help yourself? There actually is a correct answer to this question and, no... I'm not asking with sarcasm. For those that read this thread but didn't ask for questions, why didn't you?

3rd question... I agree with some of the others that questions can often be used as a guiding tool to self training. Since many questions have been provided, what have you researched and taught yourself in that light since you first saw the questions? For example, one of the questions asked how to get rid of duplicate spaces in a string... can you now show at least 2 different methods as working code with sample test data and discuss the pros and cons of each method?

4th question... There are many great DBA's and SQL Developers that have had little or no formal training while other great DBA's/SQL Developers have had an extraordinary amount of training. What makes folks from either group (not trained vs trained) "great"?

5th question... In your opinion, what is the only way that a DBA or Sr. SQL Server Developer can keep from making a mistake?

6th question... Why do you want to be a DBA (or Senior SQL Developer)?

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Thanks a lot Vishal. This imfo is very useful.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 163 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply