SSC Points

• It has been 4 days since i posted about the points not being sync'd, my points are not even going up when i post in forums, nearly 500 points difference from the home page total which is correct.

I know you guys are busy but I cannot be the only one where the points are not getting updated.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [highlight]Recommended Articles on How to help us help you and[/highlight]
    [highlight]solve commonly asked questions[/highlight]

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help by Jeff Moden[/url]
    Managing Transaction Logs by Gail Shaw[/url]
    How to post Performance problems by Gail Shaw[/url]
    Help, my database is corrupt. Now what? by Gail Shaw[/url]

• Silverfox (9/15/2009)

It has been 4 days since i posted about the points not being sync'd, my points are not even going up when i post in forums, nearly 500 points difference from the home page total which is correct.

I know you guys are busy but I cannot be the only one where the points are not getting updated.

I am seeing the same total here and for your profile, Silverfox (673 right now). By "Home page" did you mean somewhere else?

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• RBarryYoung (9/15/2009)

Silverfox (9/15/2009)

It has been 4 days since i posted about the points not being sync'd, my points are not even going up when i post in forums, nearly 500 points difference from the home page total which is correct.

I am seeing the same total here and for your profile, Silverfox (673 right now). By "Home page" did you mean somewhere else?

Barry check out the Top Members list on the SSC homepage. I can see the discrepancy SilverFox is reporting.

• OK, I see.

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    [/font]

• Hmmm, I notice that my own count is off by about 30 pts, which just happens to be about how many QotD points I've gotten in the last 30-40 days. Maybe that's the problem? Are QotD points being added in correctly anymore?

[/font]

• I just noticed my points are off by about 25 as well.. 907 vs 932.. Hm, I wonder if it is tied to the freakyness I was having posting last night..

CEWII

• Mel and his team have been busy on a couple things and we made some changes to other areas this week. I'll ask him to have another look at this and provide some clarifications. The QODs are worth differing point values, so I wonder if there's an error in there.

We'll get the sync done here soon. It's something we need to do.

• Just don't mess up my scores. Mine finally match all across like they should! :w00t:

• Steve Jones - Editor (9/15/2009)

Mel and his team have been busy on a couple things and we made some changes to other areas this week. I'll ask him to have another look at this and provide some clarifications. The QODs are worth differing point values, so I wonder if there's an error in there.

We'll get the sync done here soon. It's something we need to do.

I certanity hope so Steve, everyday I check my points hoping that they will match one day, if it was only like 20 points out i wouldnt mind, but over 400+ out is quite a difference.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help by Jeff Moden[/url]

• Sorry for the double post, I can see that my title has changed and my points are up to date, so extremely happy, Many thanks to whoever made the change/fixed/ran the job :w00t:

• Right, after some battling with linked servers again, we're up and running correctly. For anyone that's interested, the issue we had was as follows:

There's an SP in the Forums DB on one server that does the sync. It looks up some information in the main site DB via a linked server connection. Normally this has been set to pass the logon through, so the database user on the forums server is set up with some rights on the main site db. This was all fine when we ran the SP directly as that user. When it was set up to run as part of an agent job however (with run as user), it was failing as it couldn't log on to the remote server.

After some digging it turns out that when SQL Server compiles the SP (as opposed to running it) it does the action as the user account that is running the agent jobs, rather than the 'run as' account. However changing the linked server configuration to force it to always use the same user account, rather than passing through credentials, fixes it.

For an added bonus, since the job now runs pretty quickly and had very limited impact on either database, we've increased the frequency with which it runs to hourly.

Mel

Mel HarbourProject ManagerRed Gate Software

• Appreciate the explanation and solution Mel, greatly appreciated. 😎

Viewing 13 posts - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply