sql server 2005 stops every night

• The sql server I am working with stops every night since last Friday. Whenever I try to connect it in the morning it gives me following error:

Cannot connect to file01.

Additional information:

An error occured while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Providor, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server)(Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 2).

Any help would be appriciated.

• Hi,

Check whether u have set the configuration to start the sql server manually / automatic.

Regards,

Abhijit More( MCP )

• Check whether you have enough disk space at those instance of time.

• Anythng in the SQL error log from the time of the stop?

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • The sql server I am working with stops every night since last Friday-> you mean after some time you are able to connect back to the instance?

Check for any jobs that may be running during that time.

Any changes done to the server on the friday??

🙂

• GilaMonster (7/16/2008)

Anythng in the SQL error log from the time of the stop?

In the Event viewer, it shows the following message:

Time: 3:01:10

Descripiton:

Service Broker manager has shut down.

After that a series of other messages like "SQL Server is terminating in response to a 'stop' request from Service Control Manager.

• sultankahut (7/15/2008)

The sql server I am working with stops every night since last Friday. Whenever I try to connect it in the morning it gives me following error:

Additional information:

An error occured while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Providor, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server)(Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 2).

Any help would be appriciated.

In the Event viewer, it shows the following message:

Time: 3:01:10

Descripiton:

After that a series of other messages like "SQL Server is terminating in response to a 'stop' request from Service Control Manager.

• Sounds like your SQL Server instance is part of a cluster and the service broker service is one of the clustered resources. If so, then that would be pretty standard behavior to restart at the failure of a service. Is this your configuration? Curious.

David

@SQLTentmaker

“He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose” - Jim Elliot

• sultankahut (7/16/2008)

That means that either somebody stopped SQL (issuing a service stop request) or something like the cluster service stopped the service.

Go to the windows event log, look at the application log and see if you can find (from around the same time) any entry about shutting SQL down. There may be a username listed in the event log.

Is this server clustered? If so look in the cluster logs

Sounds like your SQL Server instance is part of a cluster and the service broker service is one of the clustered resources

Service broker's not a separate windows service. It's part of the DB engine

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• sultankahut (7/15/2008)

The sql server I am working with stops every night since last Friday. Whenever I try to connect it in the morning it gives me following error:

Additional information:

So what do you do to resolve things and get it running again?

Gila - Thanks for the correction.:D

David

@SQLTentmaker

“He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose” - Jim Elliot

• SultanKahut

I have experienced the same error message, starting a week ago, it occurs around 9:30 PM. Shut the machine down and was notified that an automatic update was being installed. When that completed, of course the machine completed shutting down. Restarted and all was O.K. - seems MS in their infinite wisdom was downloading an update to a

dll utilized by named pipes, worse yet the update failed, so MS keeps trying over and over again. Check to see if you machine has been configured for automatic updating and if so disable that feature.

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Ron

Please help us, help you -before posting a question please read[/url]
    Before posting a performance problem please read[/url]

• I think its good for you to log a call with Product Support (www.microsoft.com/support) .:)

• The following is the information that I find every day since this problem started and exectly at the same time:

AT 2008-07-21 03:01:14.790 AM

Configuration option 'Agent XPs' changed from 1 to 0. Run the RECONFIGURE statement to install.

AT 2008-07-21 03:01:19.870 AM

AT 2008-07-21 03:01:22.820 AM

SQL Server is terminating in response to a 'stop' request from Service Control Manager. This is an informational message only. No user action is required.

AT 2008-07-21 03:01:22.820 AM

SQL Trace was stopped due to server shutdown. Trace ID = '1'. This is an informational message only; no user action is required.

Every morning I just start it manually and sql job agent which is dependent on sql server

Thanks for you guys who are replying to me as it is helping me to get closer to the point.

Sultan

• Is there anything in the windows event log (under system) that gives any clue why the system was shut down?

Gail Shaw

• Hi,

Yes me too faced the same problem. One our distribution box which is crucial to the business was getting shutdown everyday at morning 5.00am. We had run the profiler trace and found nothing. And after carefully studying the event log of the server we found that Windows Automatic update was scheduled to download and install updates everyday at morning 5.00am. And it had already downloaded a hotfix from windowsupdate website and trying to install everyday. As the microsoft sql server folder which contains the master and resource database was compressed it was unable to install and everyday when it tried to install it is failing. So I had removed the compression and it is working fine. So I request you to check the same scenario.

Thanks

Chandra Mohan N

[font="Verdana"]Thanks
    Chandra Mohan[/font]

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply