sql server 2005 stops every night

• sultankahut (7/16/2008)

sultankahut (7/15/2008)

Time: 3:01:10

Descripiton:

Service Broker manager has shut down.

Do you have an automatic update squedchuled at 3:00 every day on that machine ?

• I also had that same problem. Microsoft automatic updates were trying to run. I notified the SA and had them turn off automatic updates.

I tried to load the updates that were going to be applied on a test server and came across problems with SQL Server Agent after it was applied. Please see my post at: http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic535366-146-1.aspx.

If anyone else has tried to install this hotfix and had similar problems I would appreciate any help you may have.

Thanks

• chandramohann (7/21/2008)

Hi,

Yes me too faced the same problem. One our distribution box which is crucial to the business was getting shutdown everyday at morning 5.00am. We had run the profiler trace and found nothing. And after carefully studying the event log of the server we found that Windows Automatic update was scheduled to download and install updates everyday at morning 5.00am. And it had already downloaded a hotfix from windowsupdate website and trying to install everyday. As the microsoft sql server folder which contains the master and resource database was compressed it was unable to install and everyday when it tried to install it is failing. So I had removed the compression and it is working fine. So I request you to check the same scenario.

Thanks

Chandra Mohan N

Hi Guys,

I found that there is an automatic update at 3AM everyday. But it was working fine since we moved from 2000 to 2005 2 months ago. Just the question. What is the procedure for removing the compression?

Thanks

Sultan

• 😛

Hi Everybody,

I track out the problem at last. See the following update:

Event Type:Error

Event Source:Windows Update Agent

Event Category:Installation

Event ID:20

Date:22/07/2008

Time:3:06:00AM

User:N/A

Description:

Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x80070643: Security Update for SQL Server 2005 Service Pack 2 (KB948109).

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

I found that the above update was downloaded on 10/07/2008 by one of our update sever and was applied to my sql server same night to up until last night. I disabled automatic update on my server yesterday and as a result the server didn't stopped. As soon as I enabled automatic update again, the server immediately stopped. I think there is a bug within this update as it is not only affecting me but other people as well if you search on the Google.

Thanks for you guys who helped me to figure out the problem.

Sultan

• Hi,

I think its not a bug. Generally some of the updates requires the sql services to be stopped to apply. So this patch first stops the sql services and starts the patching process. Incase if the installation of the patch fails it is getting stopped at that point only instead of that if i had tried to restart the sql services once the patch fails we would not have faced this much problem. But I think this is crucial patch and I recommend you to install in your server. And also try to find why the patch failed in the eventviewer of the sql server (goto run and type eventvwr and click on ok.) Please follow the below steps to remove the compression.

Go to microsoft sql server folder in explorer and right click on the folder and click on properties in the popup menu.In the general tab click on advanced. you will get a window advanced attributes. in this windows uncheck the compress contents to save disk space check box and click on Ok.

Thanks

Chandra Mohan N

[font="Verdana"]Thanks
    Chandra Mohan[/font]

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply