SQL Server 2005 SP3

• I installed SP3 on 7 development servers last night and didn't have any issues. I'm in the process of planning a roll-out on Production. Anyone have any issues with this?

The instances I upgraded were both 32-bit and 64-bit.

• Anyone who's ever installed SP3?Would like to know whether to go for it or straight to 2k8.

What you don't know won't hurt you but what you know will make you plan to know better
  • do you want an overhaul or a new car ?

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

• I would agree, given a choice I would go with SQL 2008.

• What's the business reason? Applying SP3 is a patch. If you don't have a reason to upgrade, I'm not sure I would. If it's just to be current, SP3 is current for 2005 and since we'll likely have a new version in 2010, I'd stick with 2005 for now, unless you need something that's in 2k8.

• Tx all much appreciated. I think I'll stick with what I have for now. Having both SP3 and 2k8 was just a want and to keep to the standard. In any case I'll be migrating because of licence issues on 3rd party software using current 2k5 SP2.

What you don't know won't hurt you but what you know will make you plan to know better
  • 😀

[font="Comic Sans MS"]+++BLADE+++[/font]:cool:

• ;-):w00t::cool::hehe::-P:-D:-)

[font="Comic Sans MS"]+++BLADE+++[/font]:cool:

• This service pack requires a reboot. Does anyone know whether or not the installation of SP3 can be done let's say during a saturday evening and the actual follow up reboot be done several hours later when (during it's normal window of opportunity)? Thanks for your time.

• That probably depends on exactly how you go about installing it. However, on any reasonably current server, it's not as if this takes all that long to install, so why would you want to have the server waiting for a re-boot, when you certainly aren't going to want the server's SQL services active at the time of the install? I can't imagine making any attempt to install a service pack while it's still possible for people to connect to the server. That's asking for trouble, even if the risk might be low, and I just have to ask why? What could be so important that you'd be willing to risk the server sitting there for a few hours in a state you wouldn't want to operate in while someone could possibly be making use of it ???

Steve

(aka smunson)

:ermm::ermm::ermm:

• Patience, patience...No but Patience.MSSQL SP3 is round da corner...Beta 4 2k8..

• I have to agree with smunson. Plan the upgrade to SP3 at a time when you will be able to reboot the server. Good luck with the upgrade!

• :-P:w00t:;-):-D:cool::hehe:

• I think it should be properly tested before applying to production, SP2 is much stable for many environments.

Regards,
    Sarabpreet Singh 😎
    Sarabpreet.com
    SQLChamp.com
    Twitter: @Sarab_SQLGeek

• Install SP3 last week into my Prod env.

Had no issues with the install or the P2P setup I have.

I would recommend running it through stage/qa 1st.

Have fun!

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 178 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply