SQL or Oracle

• Bruce W Cassidy (2/1/2009)

Max (1/30/2009)

Personally, I think we should scour the earth of all rdbms and use an abacus, ok, at a push flat files, but there my generosity ends.

[font="Verdana"]We could run our business on flat files! Lots and lots of flat files! [/font]

Been there, done that. We called it "The Seventies".

Trust me, this is better.

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• Heh... I remember DBase II and III... every table was a flat file. It was absolutely awesome...

Want to backup just some tables? No problem. Want to copy just some tables to another DB? No problem. Want to actually look at an index to see what's up? No problem. Have a table go corrupt? Not likely but it also wouldn't take out the whole bloody database!

I really hate the idea of the MDF and LDF files... all the eggs in two baskets that are joined at the handles. And, the apps you wrote didn't need another bloody layer called an API... you could get to the data directly or go through an API... you actually had a choice.

Of course, I used to think punched cards and wired program boards were a lot of fun, too! 😛

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Jeff Moden (2/1/2009)

Of course, I used to think punched cards and wired program boards were a lot of fun, too! 😛

You should see the faces of the young-un's here when I mention that in HS and college, I coded on punched cards. They think it's some kind of a joke. And, man, if you dropped that stack without having numbered those cards........back to the key-punch machine! The tykes of today just don't have a clue about the hardships we faced!! 😛

-- You can't be late until you show up.

• tosscrosby (2/2/2009)

Jeff Moden (2/1/2009)

You should see the faces of the young-un's here when I mention that in HS and college, I coded on punched cards. They think it's some kind of a joke. And, man, if you dropped that stack without having numbered those cards........back to the key-punch machine! The tykes of today just don't have a clue about the hardships we faced!! 😛

Yeah, yeah. And when I was in high school, I had to ride horses through the snow, up hill, in the woods, to get home from school, and chop wood with an axe and build a fire to keep from freezing to death... oh wait ... that's true. Never mind.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Heh.. I still do the wood/axe/fire thing for heat. The price is right and the exercise is good too. Nothing like smacking a piece of wood with a good heavy maul to ease your frustrations.

To help us help you read this[/url]For better help with performance problems please read this[/url]

• Luke L (2/2/2009)

Heh.. I still do the wood/axe/fire thing for heat. The price is right and the exercise is good too. Nothing like smacking a piece of wood with a good heavy maul to ease your frustrations.

Fire's are prettier and more fun than electric/gas HVAC too. The frostbite from riding horses home in a blizzard and finding that the fire had gone out is the part that I object to.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• GSquared (2/2/2009)

Luke L (2/2/2009)

Heh.. I still do the wood/axe/fire thing for heat. The price is right and the exercise is good too. Nothing like smacking a piece of wood with a good heavy maul to ease your frustrations.

Fire's are prettier and more fun than electric/gas HVAC too. The frostbite from riding horses home in a blizzard and finding that the fire had gone out is the part that I object to.

Oh no, lost the topic again...

RI's great, yay! Now I just need to convince my colleagues... rofl! Then again data marts don't have to have RI, just lots of covering indexes.

Max

• Any thread that stays on-topic for more than five posts is usually a flame anyway. 🙂 (Check out some of the threads we've had for Question of the Day where there was ANYTHING at all wrong with the question.)

I think this one is pretty much done and ready to come out of the oven anyway.

Property of The Thread

• [font="Verdana"]Relational Integrity is over-rated.

OMG, did I really just say that? And I was just reading an article by Joe Celko too! Aaaargh! 😛

[/font]

• Bruce W Cassidy (2/2/2009)And I was just reading an article by Joe Celko too! Aaaargh! 😛

[/font]

A solution of Boric Acid, Silver Sulphate, and a little saline water will get the red out after that! 😛

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• Bruce W Cassidy (2/2/2009)

[font="Verdana"]Relational Integrity is over-rated.

OMG, did I really just say that? And I was just reading an article by Joe Celko too! Aaaargh! 😛

[/font]

If Joe sees your post you are going to be "refreshed" :D:D:D

* Noel

• Jeff Moden (2/2/2009)

[A solution of Boric Acid, Silver Sulphate, and a little saline water will get the red out after that! 😛

...commonly known as tequila, folks.

Max

• noeld (2/2/2009)

Bruce W Cassidy (2/2/2009)

[/font]

Sorry... that's not an ISO standard. 😛

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Jeff Moden (2/2/2009)

noeld (2/2/2009)

[/font]

Besides, everyone knows it's because you don't even want to blink because you might miss something.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Jeff Moden (2/2/2009)

Jeff Moden (2/2/2009)

noeld (2/2/2009)

[/font]

Besides, everyone knows it's because you don't even want to blink because you might miss something.

[font="Verdana"]Are you the reason they put hierarchies into SQL? So you could quote yourself? Self-referential and all that... :cool:[/font]

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 250 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply