SQL or Oracle

• GSquared (2/17/2009)

Max (2/17/2009)

Man, you guys are so lucky, we were so poor I had to push the horse up the hill. 😉

Sisyphus move over! New guy with version 2.0 is here! 🙂

You had a hill to push up, we couldnt even afford the hill....

Hope this helps...

Ford Fairlane
    Rock and Roll Detective

• You had a hill to push up, we couldnt even afford the hill....

Excellent, ROFL.

• Ford Fairlane (2/17/2009)

GSquared (2/17/2009)

Max (2/17/2009)

Man, you guys are so lucky, we were so poor I had to push the horse up the hill. 😉

Only after we built the hill, with our bare hands, after feeding the chickens and milking the cows and ploughing the fields.

Max

• Max (2/18/2009)

Ford Fairlane (2/17/2009)

GSquared (2/17/2009)

Max (2/17/2009)

Only after we built the hill, with our bare hands, after feeding the chickens and milking the cows and ploughing the fields.

Oracle sure does seem to inspire some odd metaphores...

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• IBM to buy SUN if MySQL is killed in the deal there will be a fight because many web developers like MySQL because it is simple and ISP gives them unlimited space with MySQL. These people thinks even SQL Server is too complicated to understand. So IBM will own three full RDBMS that was what the original ANSI people did not want. I think uncle sam should force IBM to sell both Informix and MySQL.

http://blogs.barrons.com/techtraderdaily/2009/03/18/sun-micro-could-there-be-multiple-bidders/?mod=yahoobarrons

:Whistling:

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• I have read the first few pages, not the entire thread. A little long 🙂

Compared to Oracle, SQL seems to be a better option for those that do not want to pay too much for their database. I have dealt mainly with SQL, not much with Oracle. So what I can say is that SQL is an interesting product, that really gives you a good tool to work your data.

Visit Talend[/URL] and Talendforge[/URL] for open source ETL and data integration.

• please note: all comments listed below are my personal opinion, all rights reserved for changing at anytime. and not to be taken literally. as It refers to any manufacturers of dairy products

Well - I officially don't like Oracle, not to be lazy in my work but why is it so bloody long winded to add an incrementing ID to a field.

step1 Create a table, place a number field,

step2 Create a sequence to generate your IDs,

Step3 Create a trigger get the next value from your sequence and do a "before insert do."

Geeze! how long! in SQL server its just create table, add Integer field, double click on Indentity in properties window.. Done.

yup. SQL server for me.. easy life...

• hb21l6 (5/14/2009)

please note: all comments listed below are my personal opinion, all rights reserved for changing at anytime. and not to be taken literally. as It refers to any manufacturers of dairy products

Well - I officially don't like Oracle, not to be lazy in my work but why is it so bloody long winded to add an incrementing ID to a field.

step1 Create a table, place a number field,

step2 Create a sequence to generate your IDs,

Step3 Create a trigger get the next value from your sequence and do a "before insert do."

Geeze! how long! in SQL server its just create table, add Integer field, double click on Indentity in properties window.. Done.

yup. SQL server for me.. easy life...

Doesn't have to be an integer column to use identity. I've made a column defined DECIMAL(18,0) an identity column.

• Or you can use a GUID in SQL Server with a default of NEWID()

• Steve Jones - Editor (5/14/2009)

Or you can use a GUID in SQL Server with a default of NEWID()

And in SQL Server 2005 (and later) you can also use NEWSEQUENTIALID ( ) as a default.

• Most of these people have no idea what they are talking about! I have used Oracle 11g and SQL 2005 and 2008 in consecutive jobs over the years and together in the same job. It is quite complex comparing all the different editions and features. I think for small databases SQL Server is probably a better option. However, comparing the enterprise editions of Oracle 11g on Linux and SQL 2008 R2, Oracle is my choice, in terms of DBA features, ease of use and tools (SQL Developer and OEM are better than SSMS). However, if you are going to use SSIS, SSAS or SSRS then you would need to factor in the cost of replacements. I managed a terabyte database on Oracle 11g, it would have been a lot more difficult doing this on SQL Server 2008. I need to spend more time with 2012 before I can comment on its features. In my opinion Windows is also an inferior OS for databases, Linux and Unix win hands down. I prefer Oracle's SQL implementation as well, even though I learnt on transact SQL, and additionally Oracle's documentation is vastly superior, though MS documentation is getting a lot better.

Viewing 11 posts - 241 through 250 (of 250 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply