Slow Backups after Migrating to 2005

• I'd look at VM-Ware and the SAN. VM-Ware should be relatively easy to check. However the SAN, dependent on vendor, architecture and overall usage could be a bit more involved.

We have benchmarked a 'native' backup in our environment striping to 4 backup files with a database of .825 Tb data and .125 Tb log - it executes in 1 hour 15 minutes.

Using LiteSpeed to one file it takes 55 minutes.

RegardsRudy KomacsarSenior Database Administrator"Ave Caesar! - Morituri te salutamus."

• first did you install the VMWare additions in your virtual machine?

second it could be a vmware issue. a lot of app makers had to release separate vmware aware versions of their applications to make sure everything worked right

• We just tried a full backup with Backup Exec to compare and that took 7 hours. A vast improvement ! With Redgate I had set compression to '0', but it had no effect. I have not tried creating multiple backup files with Redgate yet.

" ... did you install the VMWare additions in your virtual machine? ..."

I'm not sure what VMWare additions you mean ...

Thanks for all the replies !

• after the upgrade from sql2000 to sql2005 did you run the DBCC Updateusage and rebuild indexes?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• After upgrading to 2005 I ran:

EXEC sp_dbcmptlevel @dbname ='DatabaseName', @new_cmptlevel = '90'

dbcc updateusage ('DatabaseName') with count_rows

use DatabaseName

exec sp_msforeachtable 'alter index all on ? rebuild WITH ( FILLFACTOR = 95, PAD_INDEX = OFF, STATISTICS_NORECOMPUTE = OFF, ALLOW_ROW_LOCKS = ON, ALLOW_PAGE_LOCKS = ON, SORT_IN_TEMPDB = OFF )'

Should I also run:

sp_MSforeachtable "UPDATE STATISTICS ? WITH Fullscan"

I believe the Index rebuild will also update statistics, but would the "fullscan" be beneficial ?

• homebrew01 (4/6/2009)

After upgrading to 2005 I ran:

EXEC sp_dbcmptlevel @dbname ='DatabaseName', @new_cmptlevel = '90'

dbcc updateusage ('DatabaseName') with count_rows

use DatabaseName

exec sp_msforeachtable 'alter index all on ? rebuild WITH ( FILLFACTOR = 95, PAD_INDEX = OFF, STATISTICS_NORECOMPUTE = OFF, ALLOW_ROW_LOCKS = ON, ALLOW_PAGE_LOCKS = ON, SORT_IN_TEMPDB = OFF )'

Should I also run:

sp_MSforeachtable "UPDATE STATISTICS ? WITH Fullscan"

I believe the Index rebuild will also update statistics, but would the "fullscan" be beneficial ?

Nope you dont have to, in SQL 2005 when you rebuild indexes it will update statistics with FULL SCAN.

• homebrew01 (4/3/2009)

We just tried a full backup with Backup Exec to compare and that took 7 hours. A vast improvement ! With Redgate I had set compression to '0', but it had no effect. I have not tried creating multiple backup files with Redgate yet.

" ... did you install the VMWare additions in your virtual machine? ..."

when you finish installing the OS on a VmWare or a MS virtual machine you have to install the VM additions. forgot what MS calls them. it's a small app to improve performance. and it really does.

on the free version of ESX server when you go to the properties of the VM in the management tools there is an option to push the install. forgot where. but once you do it you'll see the install start in the VM when you have the console open. a reboot is usually required

• homebrew01,

Please update us if you learn anything from the advice here. This is a great discussion.

• SQL Noob (4/6/2009)

on the free version of ESX server

presumably you are refferring to VMWare Server 2, there is a vast difference between ESX server and Vmware Server

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Homebrew01

BTW what edition/version of vmware are you using?

• Perry Whittle (4/6/2009)

SQL Noob (4/6/2009)

on the free version of ESX server

presumably you are refferring to VMWare Server 2, there is a vast difference between ESX server and Vmware Server

ESX 3.5 has been free for a few months and you only pay for the support and some of the management tools. but it's a free download and they'll send you the key

• thanks, thats something i didnt know. I knew you could get ESX3.5i (got a copy myself) but i didnt know they gave away ESX 3.5, presumably you dont get virtual center server or any other licenced features like HA or DRS?

• Perry Whittle (4/6/2009)

Homebrew01

BTW what edition/version of vmware are you using?

Hi, we're on VMware ESX Server 3.5.0 and EqualLogic v4.0.6

• Perry Whittle (4/7/2009)

thanks, thats something i didnt know. I knew you could get ESX3.5i (got a copy myself) but i didnt know they gave away ESX 3.5, presumably you dont get virtual center server or any other licenced features like HA or DRS?

they give you a bare bones management GUI, but none of the good features. Citrix just released a free bare metal hyper visor with more features than vmware, and they'll probably follow as well.

• SQL Noob (4/6/2009)

homebrew01 (4/3/2009)

We just tried a full backup with Backup Exec to compare and that took 7 hours. A vast improvement ! With Redgate I had set compression to '0', but it had no effect. I have not tried creating multiple backup files with Redgate yet.

" ]... did you install the VMWare additions in your virtual machine? [/size]..."

'when you finish installing the OS on a VmWare or a MS virtual machine you have to install the VM additions. forgot what MS calls them. it is a small app to improve performance. and it really does'

on the free version of ESX server when you go to the properties of the VM in the management tools there is an option to push the install. forgot where. but once you do it you'll see the install start in the VM when you have the console open. a reboot is usually required

if anyone knows the correct terminology or has any more info, I'd really appreciate it !

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply