NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM account

• Is there a way to login with NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM account in sqlserver 2008 r2?

• memymasta (11/14/2011)

Is there a way to login with NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM account in sqlserver 2008 r2?

Why do you want to do that?

Local System Account

Local System is a very high-privileged built-in account. It has extensive privileges on the local system and acts as the computer on the network. The actual name of the account is "NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM".

• Why do you want to do that?

I accidently disabled admin acc, and dont have access to sa...

• Security Note: Always run SQL Server services by using the lowest possible user rights. Use a specific low-privilege user account or domain account instead of a shared account for SQL Server services. Use separate accounts for different SQL Server services. Do not grant additional permissions to the SQL Server service account or the service groups. Permissions will be granted through group membership or granted directly to a service SID, where a service SID is supported...

• Is there a way?

I would need to access NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM to enable admin again...

• I accidently disabled admin acc,

Then enable it (yourself ot with help of IT Support).

• Then enable it (yourself ot with help of IT Support).

I dont have access to sysadmin account... except maybe NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM.

IS it possible to log into Managment Studio with NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM account... (it is activated and have sysadmin rights)

• dont have access to sa...

Is it not enabled? Or you are not SA?

If second, Let your SQL Server DBA handle it.

• Is it not enabled? Or you are not SA?

I dont remember the password for sa, but i am dba, running the server on local machine.

• memymasta (11/14/2011)

Is it not enabled? Or you are not SA?

I dont remember the password for sa, but i am dba, running the server on local machine.

I don't understand it. How can you disable a service & can't enable it? Please explain what have you done?

• memymasta (11/14/2011)

Is there a way?

I would need to access NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM to enable admin again...

Create a scheduled task in windows scheduler and set it up to run cmd.exe with system account. Schedule execution within 1 minute and wait for the command prompt to pop up.

Once cmd is showing, run SSMS.

-- Gianluca Sartori

• from my understanding you CANNOT login as the SYSTEM account as this is the computer itself and you cannot login as a computer

you could try impersonation but I am not saying this will work as I have never had to impersonate the system account

• Basically i had all the standard install accounts like sa, nt authority and the like enabled.

I accidently disabled login for my windows account named "Administrator".

And i dont remember the password for sa account.

There should be a way to enable my windows "Administrator" login again.

• answered my own point

you cannot impersonate NT AUTHORITY

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms181362.aspx

name must be a singleton account, and cannot be a group, role, certificate, key, or built-in account, such as NT AUTHORITY\LocalService, NT AUTHORITY\NetworkService, or NT AUTHORITY\LocalSystem. [/i]

• I accidently disabled login for my windows account named "Administartor".

And this is my question... If you have rights to Disable it, it means you have to rights to Enable it back. Just UNDO your step.

OR

Do you have any other Windows Login which has sufficient rights? Use it for the same.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply