NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM account

• And this is my question... If you have rights to Disable it, it means you have to rights to Enable it back. Just UNDO your step.

OR

Do you have any other Windows Login which has sufficient rights? Use it for the same.

When rights for login for windows "Administartor" account were disabled in couldnt change it back.

I do have another authentication account that i can login with, but it doesnt have sysadmin right.

I could create another windows user account with admin right...

• when you installed sql and got to the authentication mode page, what account did you add, was it your own windows account or was it the administrators account or a different account? as SQL wont let you skip this step unless you put an account in the box?

have you got bultin\administrators as a group within SQL as this needs to be added manually in 2008 onwards, if not creating a new local account with admin access wont help you

I take it that the administrator account was the only account which has SA access and as you dont know the password for the SA account, the only way I know now, would be to rebuild your master database giving a new SA password, this will lose all the logins, detach all databases so you will need to ensure you know all the passwords for all accounts before doing this, its not pretty

• Same (or almost same) discussion & weird (and risky) solutions here. Try them at your own risk.

SA account Locked out

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sqlsecurity/thread/e3783055-09c3-458d-8cf0-602ad16cac6f/

• If you have disabled the built-in Administrator account, booting into

Safe Mode will automatically enable it again (temporarily, for that

Safe Mode session).

Disclaimer: NOT TESTED. Post by an ‘MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User’

• Sweet! That seems to be the way to go, gonna try it out later when the traffic gets lower and i can shutdown the server.

I'll update and tell how how it went...

• Dev (11/14/2011)

If you have disabled the built-in Administrator account, booting into

Safe Mode session).

Isn't this just for windows, does it enable it in SQL

have you got a link where I could read up on that, seems good if it does work like that.

• anthony.green (11/14/2011)

Dev (11/14/2011)

If you have disabled the built-in Administrator account, booting into

Safe Mode session).

Isn't this just for windows, does it enable it in SQL

have you got a link where I could read up on that, seems good if it does work like that.

Yes, it's for Windows. You can login to SSMS with it & can reset SA.

Check the last post by Malke...

http://help.lockergnome.com/windows/istrator-account-disabled--ftopict517492.html

• I would of said that if the account in SQL is set as disabled then even if you do boot into safemode that it wouldnt make much of a difference as it only re-enables the administrator account on the windows instance not SQL, saying as this is about SQL and not windows, you would assume that you can still login as Administrator to windows which wont solve the issue about connecting to SQL.

The only way to get a admin connection to SQL would be to rebuild the master database.

• Ok guys, the solution was:

1. Create a new user in windows with admin rights and log into that account.

2. Start SQLServer in single connection mode. Link

3. Connect to Managment Studio with windows authentication mode.

4. Enable log in for old win-admin account.

Thanks for your input.

• memymasta (11/14/2011)

Ok guys, the solution was:

1. Create a new user in windows with admin rights and log into that account.

2. Start SQLServer in single connection mode. Link

3. Connect to Managment Studio with windows authentication mode.

4. Enable log in for old win-admin account.

Thanks for your input.

So it proves my theory... 😉

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply