No R2

• Gary Varga (6/11/2013)

chrisn-585491 (6/11/2013)

I can see a scenario where organizations turn to cloud based services to host their e-commerce database or quickly spin up some one-off analytical solution requested by management.

That's about what I see. But the daily bread, the data, the crown jewels will more than likely be in-house for a long, long, while.

I disagree. Of course it is one of those "only time will tell" discussion but do feel free to tell me "I told you so" in a post to this forum...

...but not for 5 years :crazy:

Yeah, I'm in the 3-5 years crowd. Let's just see if there's still a Microsoft as we know it at that point.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• chrisn-585491 (6/11/2013)

I can see a scenario where organizations turn to cloud based services to host their e-commerce database or quickly spin up some one-off analytical solution requested by management.

That's about what I see. But the daily bread, the data, the crown jewels will more than likely be in-house for a long, long, while.

I'm not so sure. I can see a single point of reference for many apps, but I suspect there may be interfaces or proxies built that push some of this stuff to a cloud environment. Why not use a cloud if you can firewall access to it from the corporate network only and save on the need to manage your own machines. Why not use it in places for non financial/PII/medical information? I could see lots of small departmental apps moving. For that matter, I could see all kinds of quick analysis stuff moving because it's easier or quicker to throw something up in a cloud environment if your IT group isn't responsive.

• Suddenly the whole VPN access to locally hosted apps almost, almost, disappears.

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (6/11/2013)

. . . I could see all kinds of quick analysis stuff moving because it's easier or quicker to throw something up in a cloud environment if your IT group isn't responsive.

It takes IT several months to get and set up a server, even if the budget is approved. It takes literally five minutes to provision a new Azure SQL server. Bonus: if you have several, setting up load balancing takes say two minutes.

My client uses Azure for a system that tracks and reports on disposal of compostable waste at supermarkets; confidentiality is not the number one consideration.

• It takes IT several months to get and set up a server, even if the budget is approved.

Really? Depending on the server it takes us days, at most, once approved.

It takes IT several months to get and set up a server, even if the budget is approved.

Wow - you do a much better job than the IT of my big clients.

• Why not use it in places for non financial/PII/medical information?

Confidential info is my day job. No cloud there!

But I crunch data on the side for a some non profits and it's easier to set up quick and dirty data analysis in Linux than deal with MS licenses and such. Different set of tools too. Interesting contrast, almost night and day... 😛

• Revenant (6/11/2013)

Steve Jones - SSC Editor (6/11/2013)

. . . I could see all kinds of quick analysis stuff moving because it's easier or quicker to throw something up in a cloud environment if your IT group isn't responsive.

It takes IT several months to get and set up a server, even if the budget is approved. It takes literally five minutes to provision a new Azure SQL server. Bonus: if you have several, setting up load balancing takes say two minutes.

My client uses Azure for a system that tracks and reports on disposal of compostable waste at supermarkets; confidentiality is not the number one consideration.

It takes days to provision and install the server, but it can take weeks for management and accounting to approve the purchase order. It can take a single afternoon to provision, if they decide on a VM, which most of our SQL Server stances are.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• Eric M Russell (6/11/2013)

Revenant (6/11/2013)

Steve Jones - SSC Editor (6/11/2013)

It takes days to provision and install the server, but it can take weeks for management and accounting to approve the purchase order. It can take a single afternoon to provision, if they decide on a VM, which most of our SQL Server stances are.

That is true; however, setting up a new VM does not increase your resources or computing power, it only allocates available resources and power.

I was trying to point out that my small, start-up clients greatly appreciate that they can change the class of the server from Dev to Biz, allocate more memory, and get more disk space by literally just a few clicks. Yes, Azure bill will go up but that's the cost of doing business.

In other words, I have more and more clients who specifically ask for Azure and I get the gig because I have Azure SQL on my resume.

It takes IT several months to get and set up a server, even if the budget is approved.

What size company? What environment? I know that come large companies that have a mostly virtualized infrastructure put up servers in days, but only for a certain size. Anything that needs more than 4-8 cores (4 sockets) tends to take weeks if not months.

• Clouds eventually move on, like a lot of fads tend to do.:-D

"Technology is a weird thing. It brings you great gifts with one hand, and it stabs you in the back with the other. ...:-D"

• TravisDBA (6/12/2013)

Clouds eventually move on, like a lot of fads tend to do.:-D

Cloud services are to SQL Server what web services are (or were) to application development. It's an interesting option that fits a specific usage pattern, but I wouldn't bet the farm that most everyone will be doing it five years from now.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• Eric M Russell (6/12/2013)

TravisDBA (6/12/2013)

Clouds eventually move on, like a lot of fads tend to do.:-D

Cloud services are to SQL Server what web services are (or were) to application development. It's an interesting option that fits a specific usage pattern, but I wouldn't bet the farm that most everyone will be doing it five years from now.

Are they? I see cloud database services (SQL Azure) or Beanstalk (AWS) more like web hosting. They are services that will catch on in many places because they're easy. Lots of people still host their own web servers, but many more don't.

The IaaS stuff is more like renting a box in a colo somewhere, without the hassles or procuring hardware or managing power, space, etc. That has caught on pretty well and the way AWS/Azure work, it's much more effective in some ways than doing your own. The reliability is lower for a particular box, but the restart/rebuild is way faster than it would be for many of us.

Viewing 13 posts - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply