How to know a server have dual/quad core?

• Perry Whittle:

Thank you very much for providing hits.

After googling, I found the properties of NumberOfCores and NumberOfLogicalProcessors in using Win32_Processor Class.

I copied the script you provided as vbs file and made the modification accordingly. I could get most of properties in this class. But I got an error:

Object does not support this property or method;

VBScript runtime error.

Is it correct to use the file with vbs extension name?

Thank you very much once again.

• Use SYDI-Server to get this plus a lot more information about your server that you would probably find useful.

See http://kendalvandyke.blogspot.com/2008/06/network-documentation-with-sql-2005-and.html for more details

Kendal Van Dyke
    http://kendalvandyke.blogspot.com/[/url]

• SQL ORACLE (7/29/2008)

So far only did SQLServerLifer give a right direction.

Device Manager does not provide the number of core processors....

I'm looking at the Device Manager on my computer right now as I type this, and it most certainly has the number of cores listed. I looked at it on one of the servers here about 30 seconds ago, and it had it on there too. If you can't find it, keep looking. It's on there.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• yes, run it as a VBS script. Check the property you have added, try running the script as i supplied. Can you post the script you ran

oops my bad, soory dude

to avoid the many message boxes run the vbs script from a command prompt using

cscript processor.vbs > result.txt

the text file will have a win32 processor instance section for each core present

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• I think the properties you are talking about are present only in Windows Vista edition and later ones:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/topics/vista/wmi2.mspx

Do let me know if I understand it wrong.

Manu

• MANU (7/30/2008)

I think the properties you are talking about are present only in Windows Vista edition and later ones:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/topics/vista/wmi2.mspx

Do let me know if I understand it wrong.

Manu

the root\CIMV2 namaespace should exist in all the other OS's. I have run it on Windows XP and Windows 2003 and it reports the CPU info perfectly

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Pretty,

I am unable to locate NumberOfCores and NumberOfLogicalProcessors properties in Win32_Processor Class.

It would be helpful if someone post the script for Win 2k3, Win XP that includes these properties.

Manu

• have you tried BGINFO

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/sysinternals/bb897557.aspx

Lists all Pc or server hardware details and OS details.

• BGINFO is a handy tool but I don't think it lists the number of sockets in a machine - only the number of cores.

SYDI Server does exactly what you're looking for and more - and it's free (no, I am not associated with it, I just swear by it because it works!). My previous post in this thread has a link that explains how to hook it up with SQL 2005 to build custom reports.

If nothing else you could download the tool and grab the section of WMI code that pulls the CPU information. That would answer the other question that's pending in this thread.

Kendal Van Dyke
    http://kendalvandyke.blogspot.com/[/url]

• Of course, there's always the really easy way to tell the number of CPUs on a server, when you want to license software for it.

Pop open the box and look at the motherboard.

This, of course, often requires having fingers and eyeballs, and might require a screwdriver in some cases. 🙂 It does, however, have the advantage of not requiring any knowledge whatsoever of the inner workings of the operating system.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• its easier to get the server tag id and check the manufacturers website LOL

• Tried looking via Powershell and unless your on Vista or Server 2008, you're not getting anything through the Win32_* classes that WMI exposes. Although, I haven't looked completely through the Win32_Performace* classes yet.

If you're on Vista/Server 2k8 the following works:

$colItems = Get-WmiObject -computername Foo -Class Win32_Processor

Write-Host $objItem.NumberOfLogicalprocessors

Write-Host $objItem.NumberOfCores

If only we were all solely on Vista/2k8... 😉

Edit:

To Perry's point, I checked the CIMV2 namespace and couldn't find anything.... Perry, can you elaborate a bit more on which part of the CIMV2 you used?

Your friendly High-Tech Janitor... 🙂

• Perry Whittle (7/30/2008)

its easier to get the server tag id and check the manufacturers website LOL

Yeah, because nobody ever has custom work done on a server, or adds a CPU to an existing server! That would be silly!

Property of The Thread

• The command line utility from Intel that I posted the link to seems to give all the info that is required.

I have used it with many servers, old and new, with many different windows versions and never gotten bad info. Not sure why the OP couldn't get the info they wanted from it.

• Gordon (7/30/2008)

Perry, can you elaborate a bit more on which part of the CIMV2 you used?

WIN32_Processor, as i pointed out previously this class returns an instance for each core that is present. It doesnt say there are X number of cores but rather provides data on each core it finds. Download and use the WMICodeCreator, its very handy for exposing WMI classes

GSquared (7/30/2008)

Yeah, because nobody ever has custom work done on a server, or adds a CPU to an existing server! That would be silly!

if you ordered extra CPU's when purchasing the server they appaer on the spec from the manufacturer. Whatever, you'd still get info on at least the base hardware build

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 40 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply