How to know a server have dual/quad core?

• It is a question related to lisencing and confiuration of a server box. How do we know a server have dual or quad core processors?

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

• I assume this will work on a server as it works on my PC. Right-Click on My Computer -> Properties and on mine it says Intel Core 2 CPU.

Remember MS licensing is per processor not per core so a single quad core processor only needs a single processor license even though it shows as 4 processors in SSMS.

• you could ask your windows administrator or get the product type and tag and consult the server manufacturers website, if its Dell for example you could use the service tag to get info on the machine from the Dell website. HP offer similar support

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• Jack Corbett (7/29/2008)

I assume this will work on a server as it works on my PC. Right-Click on My Computer -> Properties and on mine it says Intel Core 2 CPU....

"Core 2" doesn't actually mean 2 cores. "Core 2" is a brand name for the replacement for the "Pentium" brand name. Core 2 can come in single-, dual-, and quad-core formats, but all of them say "Intel Core 2". (That's why there are "Core 2 Quad" CPUs, with 4 cores, but it still has that "Core 2" in the name. "Core 2 Extreme" is also a 4-core "Core 2".)

To tell how many cores you have, right click on "My Computer" or "Computer", select Manage, select Device Manager, and open up the Processors branch. The total number of CPUs, which is how you determine your licensing requirements, is on the My Computer, Properties, General tab. Number of cores doesn't matter for that.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• There's a nice little utility called CPU-z. It will provide you a nice little report of your processor (make, code name, cores, and even if Hyper Threading is turned on) like this

Number of processors 4

Number of cores 2 per processor

Number of threads 4 per processor

Name Intel Xeon 7020

Code Name Paxville

Specification Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 2.66GHz

DAB

• a WMI query should produce this too

strComputer = "."

Set objWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:\\" & strComputer & "\root\CIMV2")

Set colItems = objWMIService.ExecQuery( _

"SELECT * FROM Win32_ComputerSystemProcessor",,48)

For Each objItem in colItems

Wscript.Echo "-----------------------------------"

Wscript.Echo "Win32_ComputerSystemProcessor instance"

Wscript.Echo "PartComponent: " & objItem.PartComponent

Next

the output of this should be one row for every core

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• So far only did SQLServerLifer give a right direction.

Device Manager does not provide the number of core processors.

System Information from System Tools does not provide this information either.

I would like to know how not from whom to find the information.

SQLServerLifer:

A third party tool may work. Is it possible to find this information from built-in functionality in OS?

Perry Whittle:

Could you provide more information about your statement?

Many thanks for the inputs from all of you!:)

• GSquared (7/29/2008)

Jack Corbett (7/29/2008)

I assume this will work on a server as it works on my PC. Right-Click on My Computer -> Properties and on mine it says Intel Core 2 CPU....

"Core 2" doesn't actually mean 2 cores. "Core 2" is a brand name for the replacement for the "Pentium" brand name. Core 2 can come in single-, dual-, and quad-core formats, but all of them say "Intel Core 2". (That's why there are "Core 2 Quad" CPUs, with 4 cores, but it still has that "Core 2" in the name. "Core 2 Extreme" is also a 4-core "Core 2".)

To tell how many cores you have, right click on "My Computer" or "Computer", select Manage, select Device Manager, and open up the Processors branch. The total number of CPUs, which is how you determine your licensing requirements, is on the My Computer, Properties, General tab. Number of cores doesn't matter for that.

No kidding, I was just assuming. Oh well.

• http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

Not only does it provide the above data but also

Technology 90 nm

Core Speed 2666.7 MHz

Multiplier x Bus speed 16.0 x 166.7 MHz

Rated Bus speed 666.7 MHz

Stock frequency 2666 MHz

Instruction sets MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, EM64T

L1 Data cache (per processor) 2 x 16 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64-byte line size

Trace cache (per processor) 2 x 12 Kuops, 8-way set associative

L2 cache (per processor) 2 x 1024 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64-byte line size

DAB

• SQL ORACLE (7/29/2008)

So far only did SQLServerLifer give a right direction.

Device Manager does not provide the number of core processors.

System Information from System Tools does not provide this information either.

I would like to know how not from whom to find the information.

SQLServerLifer:

A third party tool may work. Is it possible to find this information from built-in functionality in OS?

Perry Whittle:

Could you provide more information about your statement?

Many thanks for the inputs from all of you!:)

the following code is better and returns an instance for each processor core. Run the following code on the server (try it on your machine first if you want)

strComputer = "."

Set objWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:\\" & strComputer & "\root\CIMV2")

Set colItems = objWMIService.ExecQuery( _

"SELECT * FROM Win32_Processor",,48)

For Each objItem in colItems

Wscript.Echo "Win32_Processor instance"

Wscript.Echo "Caption: " & objItem.Caption

Wscript.Echo "CpuStatus: " & objItem.CpuStatus

Wscript.Echo "CreationClassName: " & objItem.CreationClassName

Wscript.Echo "CurrentClockSpeed: " & objItem.CurrentClockSpeed

Wscript.Echo "CurrentVoltage: " & objItem.CurrentVoltage

Wscript.Echo "DataWidth: " & objItem.DataWidth

Wscript.Echo "Description: " & objItem.Description

Wscript.Echo "DeviceID: " & objItem.DeviceID

Wscript.Echo "ExtClock: " & objItem.ExtClock

Wscript.Echo "Family: " & objItem.Family

Wscript.Echo "L2CacheSize: " & objItem.L2CacheSize

Wscript.Echo "Level: " & objItem.Level

Wscript.Echo "LoadPercentage: " & objItem.LoadPercentage

Wscript.Echo "Manufacturer: " & objItem.Manufacturer

Wscript.Echo "MaxClockSpeed: " & objItem.MaxClockSpeed

Wscript.Echo "Name: " & objItem.Name

Wscript.Echo "ProcessorId: " & objItem.ProcessorId

Wscript.Echo "ProcessorType: " & objItem.ProcessorType

Wscript.Echo "Revision: " & objItem.Revision

Wscript.Echo "Role: " & objItem.Role

Wscript.Echo "SocketDesignation: " & objItem.SocketDesignation

Wscript.Echo "Status: " & objItem.Status

Wscript.Echo "Stepping: " & objItem.Stepping

Wscript.Echo "Version: " & objItem.Version

Next

By the way, whats wrong with my idea of getting the server tag/id and getting the info from the manufacturers website, thats what i do to find out info on a server if i need it :Whistling:

• Perry Whittle:

I just ran your script. It did not provide the information on the core processors. The information the script retrieved is the same as the device manager.

Many thanks for your input.

• I ran it. It told me exactly what msinfo32 tells me: total number of cores. It didn't tell me physical sockets or whether or not Hyper Threading was turned on.

• I just ran it, and the info seems pretty clear to me: No Hyper-Threading, 8 cores, 4 cores per package, 2 physical processors, all cores in use.

Capabilities:

Hyper-Threading Technology: not capable

Multi-core: Yes

Multi-processor: yes

Hardware capability and its availability to applications:

System wide availability: 2 physical processors, 8 cores,8 logical processors

Multi-core capabililty : Maximum 4 cores per package

HT capability: Maximum 1 logical processors per core

All cores in the system are enabled for this application.

• By the way, whats wrong with my idea of getting the server tag/id and getting the info from the manufacturers website, thats what i do to find out info on a server if i need it

Perry Whittle:

Nothing wrong with you. I greatly appreciate your input. I just would like to know whether or not I am able to find it by myself.

Many thanks once again to all of your inputs.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply