Guide To MCITP: SQL Server 2008 Administration

• Thanks for the overview.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Riad

Completely up to you how long you want to study. I took 70-432 on 31st May 2011, and 70-450 on 18th July 2011. I studied most nights between the two exams.

Once you feel confident you know the syllabus, give it a go - regardless of how much study you have/haven't done.

Mike.

• I would love to see from you

How to become an MVP?

How to Prepare for MCM?

[font="Tahoma"]
    --SQLFRNDZ[/url]
    [/font]

• Nice overview indeed!

I attended the 5-day classroom Microsoft Course 6231B (Maintaining a Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Database) and Course 6232B (Implementing a Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Database).

Before I head for the MCTS exams I will improve my T-SQL Skills first as I am not a (full-time) DBA.

Technical Systems Engineer
    MCITP | MCTS | MCSE | MCSA | MCP

• CiroM (8/5/2011)Before I head for the MCTS exams I will improve my T-SQL Skills first as I am not a (full-time) DBA.

T-SQL is not a priority for DBAs, IMHO.

I know some DBAs who use SSMS, BIDS, PerfMon very effectively doing everything they need to do in the Object Explorer without touching a single bit of code. They manage jobs, resource governor, data collector, backup solutions, policy management, SSIS, SSRS and sometimes easily forget the T-SQL code behind all of what they're doing. Sometimes they know what's needed to use sqlcmd.

You're just fine for the exam, believe me.

I'm a database developer myself but I always wanted to become a DBA. My biggest fear when I was taking the 70-432 exam and passed it was that I had zero experience in the maintenance side of databases and servers. So I'm studying like a dog right now instead of going out with friends... 😀

Best regards,

Best regards,

Andre Guerreiro Neto

Database Analyst
    http://www.softplan.com.br
    MCITPx1/MCTSx2/MCSE/MCSA

• Thanks for the info Mike. This will for sure help me plan things.

Good luck fot the BI exams. 😉

Riad

• codebyo (8/5/2011)

CiroM (8/5/2011)Before I head for the MCTS exams I will improve my T-SQL Skills first as I am not a (full-time) DBA.

Ah, well, I checked : http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/exam.aspx?ID=70-432&locale=en-us#tab3.

Since T-SQL is mentioned on that tab I was diving a bit deeper in that. The training and learning towards the exam is as important as passing the exam.

Passing the exam is not the goal, gaining knowledge about SQL Server is.

But offcourse I hope I pass the exam the first time. 😉

EDIT: Argh... I messed up the quote...

Technical Systems Engineer
    MCITP | MCTS | MCSE | MCSA | MCP

• Since T-SQL is mentioned on that tab I was diving a bit deeper in that. The training and learning towards the exam is as important as passing the exam.

Indeed. But at least on the exam 70-432 there are just a few questions that used T-SQL. The majority of the questions were very straightforward without presenting code, knowing the tools, knowing the best way around a given problem, some real world examples which I found very interesting to understand, some XML questions, many backup & restore solution problems, knowing about server-level and database-level permissions, etc.

Passing the exam is not the goal, gaining knowledge about SQL Server is.

You're right. My main concern was exactly that I needed to be familiar with many of the topics presented in the exam and not only study them. IMHO SQL Server Central is probably the best website to know that extra information that we won't find in BOL (although BOL is a wonderful reference).

Best regards,

Best regards,

Andre Guerreiro Neto

Database Analyst
    MCITPx1/MCTSx2/MCSE/MCSA

• Whilst it is possible to administer SQL Server without using T-SQL, you will benefit hugely if you do learn it. T-SQL is the foundation of everything that is done in SQL Server and will help you gain a much greater understanding of how things work.

Forget the exam for a moment - to make yourself more marketable and to help you win those bigger salaries, you need to keep improving your skill set. Learning T-SQL is just one part of that (and I've had very few interviews where I haven't been asked at least one SQL question).

With regards to the exam - there are quite a few questions that use T-SQL on there, and some questions ask what certain parameters do in certain system stored procedures.

It's definitely worth taking a look.

Mike.

• mike.mcquillan (8/7/2011)Forget the exam for a moment - to make yourself more marketable and to help you win those bigger salaries, you need to keep improving your skill set. Learning T-SQL is just one part of that (and I've had very few interviews where I haven't been asked at least one SQL question).

That's a great advice right there.

Sometimes we must get around a situation where we don't have all the tools we need installed so we must find our way with T-SQL, creating scripts or with ad-hoc commands. Although I don't have much experience (near zero) in dealing with the administration side of things, I remember having to code stuff through "sqlcmd" or "osqlw" because I couldn't access the needed visual tools or they were missing in the installation. So you're right. Knowing T-SQL is important in those and more occasions.

Thank you for sharing your experiences.

Best regards,

Best regards,

Andre Guerreiro Neto

Database Analyst
    MCITPx1/MCTSx2/MCSE/MCSA

• For All,

I found this really interesting set of blog posts and I thought it would help some folks like me, who are developers and amatuer DBA's by accident or circumstance...this lists links to all the BOL topics that are listed on the MS test prep page...I've heard that quite a bit of the test prep can come from BOL...

anyone who's passed, can you confirm this for me as I don't have a big budget for books!

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/buckwoody/archive/2009/02/25/exam-70-432-ts-microsoft-sql-server-2008-implementation-and-maintenance.aspx

Thanks,

Jim P.

• Jim

You can definitely pass any Microsoft SQL Server certification using BOL - indeed, I've done this myself.

Good luck!

Mike.

• Although I have read a book or two to study for the exams I must say that BOL has become a wonderful reference specially with the many examples illustrating every feature. You'll just need to know where to look initially.

Best regards,

Best regards,

Andre Guerreiro Neto

Database Analyst
    MCITPx1/MCTSx2/MCSE/MCSA

• If you do decide to go with an exam prep book, most come with a cd containing test software. Plus my Ms Press book came with an eval version of SQL Server 2008 and a coupon for the test. It was 10% or 15% off the exam price. But beware of any errors within the text, definitely google for any errata for the book you are using. The one I used was notorious for some of the errors. I'd also recommend using Microsoft's free V-labs for clustering, mirroring and backup/restore. No software or hardware is required on your part, just an internet connection.

No question, you need to know T-SQL to be a good DBA. You can't only rely on the visual tools in SSMS. What happens when you have to access a server that doesn't have SSMS installed or if you need to troubleshoot some code or write some maintenance scripts? There are also some tasks that you can't do using the visual tools. I can't remember if on the 70-432 test there were a lot of questions with t-sql but I don't think you'd pass if you didn't know any t-sql. I do know that all of the test prep software I used had questions with t-sql for back up and restore, creating operators, users and logins, jobs plus querying the job history tables. Same with encryption and partitioning - all t-sql based.

-Mwise

• Good points MH.

I can definitely confirm that every question involving backup/restore uses T-SQL.

Mike.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply