Geeky Oscars

• cdonlan 18448 (1/25/2013)

"Looper". It's time travel oriented but much more than that. It just came out on DVD I think.

Looped was wild. My son kept discussing the whole time travel thing over dinner after we saw it. Recommended, though a little dark.

• John Carter (it's nothing like the book series, other than in general plot), the Avengers. Didn't watch too many movies last year though.

I didn't enjoy the Hobbit. Was stretched too far, felt like it was padded just for the sake of padding. The fights felt almost comedic at times. I could have read the entire book again in the span of the 1st movie.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Steve Jones - SSC Editor (1/25/2013)

cdonlan 18448 (1/25/2013)

"Looper". It's time travel oriented but much more than that. It just came out on DVD I think.

Looped was wild. My son kept discussing the whole time travel thing over dinner after we saw it. Recommended, though a little dark.

Yes, Looper was wild. I figured I would like it based on the trailer, but I liked it even more than I expected.

- webrunner

-------------------
    A SQL query walks into a bar and sees two tables. He walks up to them and asks, "Can I join you?"
    Ref.: http://tkyte.blogspot.com/2009/02/sql-joke.html

• webrunner (1/25/2013)

TravisDBA (1/25/2013)

Argo was one of the better "edge of your seat films" I have seen in a while. It wasn't a big box office draw but man was it a good film.:-D

Yes, totally agreed. And while not strictly geeky in the future tech sense, it really did recreate the visuals and atmosphere of the 1979 Iranian coverage, which I recall from when I was a kid.

Argo was amazing because I was affected by it and remember that time from my life. That could easily be my best picture of the year.

• Maquis415 (1/25/2013)

Yes, Avengers was probably my favorite of last year. Hunger Games was very good as well. Looper surprised me - I very much enjoyed it, more than I thought I would. My husband really liked John Carter, I thought it was ok. Still have to see the Hobbit - we just finished rewatching LOTR (I know it's not necessary, but got us in the mood). Also want to see Lincoln, friends have told me it's fantastic - although not geeky?

Oh, yes, the Avengers! Excellent film! I agree, it was my favorite of 2012.

Kindest Regards, Rod Connect with me on LinkedIn.

• Fiction Favorites: Avengers and Looper (very thought provoking)

Non-Fiction (mostly) Favorites: Act of Valor and Argo

I am fascinated by the effects of technology on teamwork and the consequences of its adoption, so this was a good year for me. I rarely see movies in the theater and this year I went there 3 times. Argo and Skyfall were worth it, Hobbit wasn't. The others I streamed and enjoyed with family. Skyfall was a great addition to the Bond franchise.

I wouldn't recommend the Hobbit to those who have read the books, but I went with someone who hadn't read them and he told me it filled in many gaps from LOTR and gave him a new appreciation of the series.

Viewing 6 posts - 31 through 35 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply