Emergency!!!!!!!! Production Databases

• GT-897544 (2/18/2010)

GilaMonster (2/18/2010)

GT-897544 (2/18/2010)

2) If so go head and bring one database offline and then bring online that should work, if database come online clean, recycle SQL services, should fix all databases.

Without checking the error log?

Sure i would check SQL\Windows logs before doing this.

Then put that as the first step in your advice. Don't assume that people will know that you mean to do that (and by that I mean the people that you're trying to help out)

Also, would you do the offline/online regardless of what you found in the error log?

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Dennis

Still need to see the exact error that you get when you try, from management studio, to query one of the databases.

Still need to see any and all errors in the SQL error log relating to these databases.

Was the server rebooted just before this started? Was the SQL service restarted just before this started?

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• Lynn Pettis (2/18/2010)

GilaMonster (2/18/2010)

GT-897544 (2/18/2010)

2) If so go head and bring one database offline and then bring online that should work, if database come online clean, recycle SQL services, should fix all databases.

Of course, Gail. That is a last resort, I mean really, who reads error logs??

(apologies, getting very sarcastic late in the day...)

I was surprised why i still did not see any sarcastic answers from Sarcastic DBA's? I didn't see bored DBA answering this post yet, i don't know why no excitement yet.

EnjoY!

EnjoY!
  • GilaMonster (2/18/2010)

Dave Ballantyne (2/18/2010)

If my database were down for that period , we would be losing money hand over fist.

If my former company's primary DB had been down for 24 hours, they'd be out of business.

I don't know many companies that could survive 24 hrs of critical production databases being down for 24 hrs.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• GT-897544 (2/18/2010)

Lynn Pettis (2/18/2010)

GilaMonster (2/18/2010)

GT-897544 (2/18/2010)

I was surprised why i still did not see any sarcastic answers from Sarcastic DBA's? I didn't see bored DBA answering this post yet, i don't know why no excitement yet.

EnjoY!

You know, the 4th, 5th, and 6th posts in this thread asked the right FIRST question, what is in the error logs. Think about that.

You know, the 4th, 5th, and 6th posts in this thread asked the right FIRST question, what is in the error logs.

When you put it like that, it sounds like we are a broken record - but we need to see error messages from the logs.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

GT-897544 (2/18/2010)

Lynn Pettis (2/18/2010)

GilaMonster (2/18/2010)

GT-897544 (2/18/2010)

EnjoY!

You know, the 4th, 5th, and 6th posts in this thread asked the right FIRST question, what is in the error logs. Think about that.

If that is the status values for suspect databases. Looks like it is a clean shut down, no corrupt files.

1) Do you have clean backups for these databases?

If you see any error messages like "Device activation error" then it may be disk problem.

In my last posting that is what i said check for "Device activation error" Where will you check for error messages? user should check error logs, correct?.

I am sure if it is "Device Activation Error" then it is problem disk level, if thats the case check with Server Team.

EnjoY!

EnjoY!
  • GT-897544 (2/18/2010)

Lynn Pettis (2/18/2010)

GilaMonster (2/18/2010)

GT-897544 (2/18/2010)

EnjoY!

Is excitement what you're here for GT-897544? The DBA are trying to help, as Lynn pointed out.

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• GT-897544 (2/18/2010)

If that is the status values for suspect databases. Looks like it is a clean shut down, no corrupt files.

1) Do you have clean backups for these databases?

If you see any error messages like "Device activation error" then it may be disk problem.

In my last posting that is what i said check for "Device activation error" Where will you check for error messages? user should check error logs, correct?.

I am sure if it is "Device Activation Error" then it is problem disk level, if thats the case check with Server Team.

EnjoY!

Until the OP posts back any error messages regarding what happened when the databases went down, we don't know anything about a clean shutdown. We need to know what is in the error logs before leaping to any conclusions as to what has happened.

• Alvin Ramard (2/18/2010)

GT-897544 (2/18/2010)

Lynn Pettis (2/18/2010)

GilaMonster (2/18/2010)

GT-897544 (2/18/2010)

EnjoY!

Is excitement what you're here for GT-897544? The DBA are trying to help, as Lynn pointed out.

No, Then why those sarcastic questions?

EnjoY!
  • GT-897544 (2/18/2010)

Alvin Ramard (2/18/2010)

GT-897544 (2/18/2010)

Lynn Pettis (2/18/2010)

GilaMonster (2/18/2010)

GT-897544 (2/18/2010)

EnjoY!

What sarcastic questions?

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• GT-897544 (2/18/2010)

Alvin Ramard (2/18/2010)

GT-897544 (2/18/2010)

Lynn Pettis (2/18/2010)

GilaMonster (2/18/2010)

GT-897544 (2/18/2010)

EnjoY!

Can we keep this thread on track please? That's for everyone.

Gail Shaw

• sorry, ma'am. I'll just go stand in the corner now.

• GT-897544 (2/18/2010)

It's not.

Cleanly shutdown is indicated by value 1073741824 in the status column. OP's status column is 65536.

Gail Shaw

• GilaMonster (2/18/2010)

GT-897544 (2/18/2010)

It's not.

Cleanly shutdown is indicated by value 1073741824 in the status column. OP's status column is 65536.

Are you talking about Status 2 Column?

EnjoY!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 55 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply