Emergency!!!!!!!! Production Databases

• When i login into box, i see databases in suspect mode.

• CirquedeSQLeil (2/18/2010)

dennisengel (2/18/2010)

Yes, i can connect using SSMS. However in object explorer details i see only database names i don't see any details for these databases.

This seems different from the posted issue.

Is nobody able to connect to the databases, or just not able to see properties?

If it is that you are not able to see properties, are you using an account with adequate permissions?

The other questions from Gail and myself are still pertinent.

Nobody can connect to these 5 databases, It is not that properties, I have SA role on this box, it is not a permission issue.

• dennisengel (2/18/2010)

When i login into box, i see databases in suspect mode.

What does SELECT name, status, status2 FROM sysdatabases return for the databases that you can't connect to?

What is the exact error you get when trying to query one of those databases from a query window?

What's in the SQL error log. Any messages relating to those databases?

btw, this 'emergency' has been ongoing for 24 hours almost. I gather it's not all that urgent to get these DBs up and running. If it is, maybe give MS customer support a call. It'll cost, but it'll be quicker than going backwards and forwards here for another day or two.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • As far as i can make out, your company has now been down for 24hrs.

That to me points to the ,amazingly obvious, fact that you do not have enough skills in-house.

You need to do two things

1) Pay a consultant to sort the problem you are presently experiencing. Where are you ? Im sure a local MVP could recommend someone.

2) Get more training.

If my database were down for that period , we would be losing money hand over fist.

Clear Sky SQL
    My Blog[/url]

• If SQL cannot start databases SSMS will show the databases without a plus sign next to them, EM shows them as suspect.

please,please post the info Gail has asked for.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

• Dave Ballantyne (2/18/2010)

If my database were down for that period , we would be losing money hand over fist.

If my former company's primary DB had been down for 24 hours, they'd be out of business.

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• Status: 65536 Status 2: 1627389952 values for suspect databases.

• And the rest of my questions?

Gail Shaw

• GilaMonster (2/18/2010)

If my former company's primary DB had been down for 24 hours, they'd be out of business.

Being a call centre based company, we do have the luxury of being able to write down callers numbers to call back at a later point for an hour or two :-). Meanwhile the DBA , who ,presumably, bluffed his way into the job , gets a very stern talking to 🙂

Clear Sky SQL
    My Blog[/url]

Status: 65536 Status 2: 1627389952 values for suspect databases.

If that is the status values for suspect databases. Looks like it is a clean shut down, no corrupt files.

1) Do you have clean backups for these databases?

2) If so go head and bring one database offline and then bring online that should work, if database come online clean, recycle SQL services, should fix all databases.

If you see any error messages like "Device activation error" then it may be disk problem.

EnjoY!

EnjoY!

Status: 65536 Status 2: 1627389952 values for suspect databases.

As far as I can tell (it's not documented) 65536 in Status is ONLINE.

1627389952, the only thing I can tell from that is that full text is enabled. Not very useful so far.

Gail Shaw

• GT-897544 (2/18/2010)

2) If so go head and bring one database offline and then bring online that should work, if database come online clean, recycle SQL services, should fix all databases.

Without checking the error log?

Gail Shaw

GT-897544 (2/18/2010)

Sure i would check SQL\Windows logs before doing this.

EnjoY!

GT-897544 (2/18/2010)

Of course, Gail. That is a last resort, I mean really, who reads error logs??

(apologies, getting very sarcastic late in the day...)

• Deleted.... Wrong thread....

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 55 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply