DBA without sa rights???

• John Rowan (12/8/2016)

Time to start looking...

Ooops, Friday is coming up. You know what happens on Friday's in corporate America, especially when the screws have been tightened on access security ...

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• Seriously, get a new job ASAP.

Someone has been looking to "get you", and the new database gave that person an excuse. You told your boss that you can't do your job, and he/she told you that you aren't allowed to do your job now because you were a "bad boy." You have literally been placed in "time out." Do you see how infantile this is? And you're trying to find a way to sneak back in? They're getting to you.

Don't let these bullies into your head. Get out of there as fast as you can. There are plenty of workplaces full of (mostly) functional adults who are interested in doing productive work for their customers. Let the bullies have this sandbox.

• Anyone know any openings in the North Dallas area (Plano, Frisco would be best). I cannot afford to relocate.

• huh, I'm in downtown Fort Worth! Looks like we're almost neighbors. Do you want to do DBA work, web development, etc? There are technical recruiting firms here in the area that could place you full time or on contract. PM me if you need some contact info.

John Rowan

======================================================
    ======================================================
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url] - by Jeff Moden

• You're either a DBA, or not. DBA's need to have sysadmin role in the instance or they cannot do their job. How can they set instance level settings such as "max server memory", or span TempDB across multiple files? DBA's create databases. Now did you break protocol by creating the database directly in prod? Are there processes in place that you may have violated? Again that would be something to discuss with your manager. Also is DBA, the actual title you were given by your manager, or a self appointed one?

We have a few network admins that work here, and they are not the top of the food chain, and they do not have authority to revoke a DBA's permission. That would only come from the most senior DBA, or the manager.

Whether you're terminated, or not; it's time to update your resume and get out of there, unless you enjoy sitting around doing nothing. It definitely sounds like a pretty poor culture/environment.

Steve

• ZZartin (12/8/2016)

Don't bother trying to fight with a power hungry network admin. Make it known immediately to your supervisor that you are unable to do your job in an effective matter and that said network admin is the reason, let him fight with the higher ups about it that's his job after all. Also make sure it's immediately known every single time something is delayed or there is customer impact that said network admin is the reason why, make sure your manager and any customers are aware of this. Eventually he'll either get swamped doing your job or be forced to give you back access.

+1

-------------------
    A SQL query walks into a bar and sees two tables. He walks up to them and asks, "Can I join you?"
    Ref.: http://tkyte.blogspot.com/2009/02/sql-joke.html

• Hi Jim,

Most DBAs live lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave having never called folks out on their bull$hit.

Keep us posted on your story and good luck with your struggle.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• In all of this, always be polite and courteous with whoever you deal with. You are a professional and you need to always be seen to act like one.

The only way forward is to keep discussing the problem with your management. Copy them in all emails where you cannot do your normal job due to lack of permissions. Keep trying to organise discussions with the Network Admin, and include your and their managers in any meeting invites.

Also, as always, make sure your Resume is up to date and published to Recruitment Agencies. Even if you do resolve this problem there is no harm in getting calls about other opportunities, and even going to interviews to see what an alternative job is like. (My old employer actually encouraged us in IT to be registered with a number of agencies - some folk did leave for something better, and some returned after a year or so with experience of doing things differently, but a lot stayed because they liked what they had.)

Original author: https://github.com/SQL-FineBuild/Common/wiki/ 1-click install and best practice configuration of SQL Server 2019, 2017 2016, 2014, 2012, 2008 R2, 2008 and 2005.

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor they call me a communist - Archbishop Hélder Câmara

• webrunner (12/9/2016)

ZZartin (12/8/2016)

Don't bother trying to fight with a power hungry network admin. Make it known immediately to your supervisor that you are unable to do your job in an effective matter and that said network admin is the reason, let him fight with the higher ups about it that's his job after all. Also make sure it's immediately known every single time something is delayed or there is customer impact that said network admin is the reason why, make sure your manager and any customers are aware of this. Eventually he'll either get swamped doing your job or be forced to give you back access.

+1

+1000

Also, regarding what Ed said:

EdVassie (12/10/2016)

In all of this, always be polite and courteous with whoever you deal with. You are a professional and you need to always be seen to act like one.

This is going to be a hard one, but try to listen to it anyway. If you come off half-cocked and belligerent, you won't get far. Also, the network admin is in the position of power because he has the permissions and you don't. Don't fight him head-on...let your boss(es) handle it.

If you get no traction or you decide it isn't worth the fight:

1. Make sure your resume is up to date

2. Ensure your suit still fits (speaking from experience ;-))

3. PM Mr. Rowan and see what else is out there.

Best of luck. If you don't mind, I'm looking forward to hearing how it plays out.

• Ok, so I have my rights back for now. Temporary cease fire until after our Christmas break. Then we have to discuss limiting again.

On a brighter note, I have already had great conversations with four recruiters.

• Perhaps the network administrator didn't want to be the primary point of contact for support calls over the Christmas holidays.

• jim.powers - Thursday, December 8, 2016 10:36 AM

Anyone know any openings in the North Dallas area (Plano, Frisco would be best). I cannot afford to relocate.

Jim i was reviewing this again, and was hoping you either resolved your turf war, or found a better postion;
    hows things going now?

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Hi Lowell,

Thanks for checking back. I started with the Denver Dumb Friends League (ddfl.org) on January 23rd. This has been a great move. The people are wonderful to work with. I have a big mess to clean up from haphazard report writing along with a new data warehouse project. They have actually brought in a contractor to get the DW rolling for me. When he is finished in June with the smaller local scope that is immediately needed, I'll be able to take it and grow it to the ultimate goal of serving the entire community. I'm very excited about the possibilities here.

• jim.powers - Tuesday, February 28, 2017 8:54 AM

Hi Lowell,

Thanks for checking back. I started with the Denver Dumb Friends League (ddfl.org) on January 23rd. This has been a great move. The people are wonderful to work with. I have a big mess to clean up from haphazard report writing along with a new data warehouse project. They have actually brought in a contractor to get the DW rolling for me. When he is finished in June with the smaller local scope that is immediately needed, I'll be able to take it and grow it to the ultimate goal of serving the entire community. I'm very excited about the possibilities here.

Glad to hear you found a new gig, and you are just up the road a bit.  Good luck at your new position and welcome to Colorado!

• jim.powers - Thursday, December 8, 2016 8:56 AM

Agreed...

Absolutely agreed.  Especially if your boss isn't going to bat for you.  It may be time for them to find out that the T-Shirt on the subject is correct (https://www.sunfrog.com/Data-Base-Administrator--SOLVE-192312050-Black-Guys.html?15435) and for them to find out the answer to the question of "What does a DBA do"?  The answer is, "You'll find out when we stop doing it". 😉

If you decide to bail, make no threats, have no regrets, don't burn any bridges, and cause no harm.  Tip your hat for having had the opportunity to serve and move on.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply