Data Modelers - Alternatives to Erwin

• Anyone remember what last Version of Visio that supported reverse engineering of databases?

• Lynn Pettis - Friday, October 27, 2017 9:54 AM

Anyone remember what last Version of Visio that supported reverse engineering of databases?

It was like 2005 or maybe 2008.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• I just got news of a new modeling tool. I haven't looked at it. If any of you feel like being a sacrificial anode, here's the link.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• I am confused by the description for reverse engineering.  Some one care to translate?

• Lynn Pettis - Friday, October 27, 2017 10:41 AM

I am confused by the description for reverse engineering.  Some one care to translate?

Oh we're totally misusing the term. Don't worry. You're not misreading that. @=)

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Do you already have an existing database but no ER diagram or physical model? With SQLDBM, this is no problem! Use the reverse engineering feature to export your database schema as a SQL script, and then run these scripts in MSSQL Studio or SSDT (SQL Server Developer Tools) to generate the XML database-creation scripts. After that, simply upload the XML statements into SQLDBM, and then create your physical model or ERD.

Step 1, use the tool the export the database schema as a SQL Script.
    Step 2, run these scripts in MSSQL Studio or SSDT to generate the XML database-creation scripts.
    Step 3, upload the XML statements into SQLDBM.
    Step 4, create your physical model or ERD.

Step 2 confuses me as I didn't know SSMS generated XML database-creation scripts.

• Lynn Pettis - Friday, October 27, 2017 9:54 AM

Anyone remember what last Version of Visio that supported reverse engineering of databases?

Yes.  The "good" one. 😉

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Jeff Moden - Friday, October 27, 2017 4:49 PM

Lynn Pettis - Friday, October 27, 2017 9:54 AM

Yes.  The "good" one. 😉

lol, Jeff.  I was actually asking what version that was so I can see if our IT group can still get it or not.  Last I looked they had all sorts of older versions of many software packages.  I just need to know what to request.

• In all seriousness, I found a hack on SO and I'm in the process of reverse engineering a 2016 Enterprise database using Visio 2010 Pro.  I'll let you know how it goes when it finishes.

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• It's done and it worked just fine.  I reverse engineered all the tables in a 1,391 table, 1.3TB database in 327 seconds with no display turned on, added a table to the display, told it to find all related tables and it all operated as expected.  I went to the home menu and told it to align and distribute and it all worked just fine.  I used the Generic OleDB Driver but you can download the latest Microsoft® ODBC Driver 13.1 for SQL Server but I've not tried that yet.

The key is and always has been that "DATABASE" won't show up on the menu unless you open visio with the correct template, which may be found under "Software and Database" when you are on the "NEW" selection under the "FILE" tab and select "Database Model Diagram" under that.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Grant Fritchey - Friday, October 27, 2017 10:35 AM

I just got news of a new modeling tool. I haven't looked at it. If any of you feel like being a sacrificial anode, here's the link.

Hi Grant,
    Please check it out SqlDBM again, if you have not recently. We have made lots of progress in the tool and it is very mature now.
    Feel free to reach us if you have any questions.

Viewing 11 posts - 31 through 40 (of 40 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply