Data Modelers - Alternatives to Erwin

• Thank guys. I stumbled over your forum and found that I have the exact same problem as Brandie. I needed a new Data Model app that could replace Erwin. I had no idea that it would be possible to export the Erx type file from Erwin into another entity relationship tool. I've downloaded ER/Studio from Embarcadero and the pain from using Platinum ERwin 3.5.2 is now over!

I'm excited people. Thanks again.

Cameron

• We are now using Embarcadero's ERStudio as well... great tool and great customer service. As others have pointed out, it should do everything on your wish list. And I think it's cheaper than ERWin too 😉

• I used Sybase PowerDesigner a few years ago for this type of work.

I believe it can import Erwin files and it can reverse engineer many databases.

See comparison at http://www.sybase-iad-services.com/powerdesigner/pdf/PD10_vs_Erwin_wp.pdf although this is a couple of versions out of date.

• If you are a SQL Server only shop, be sure to ask Embarcadero for SQL Server only licensing. This can lead to much lower costs than the full cross-platform licenses for their products.

Best,
    Kevin G. Boles
    SQL Server Consultant
    SQL MVP 2007-2012
    TheSQLGuru on googles mail service

• You fail to mention the price of Embarkadero is actually higher than Erwin. I would be looking for something more cost effective.

• Clay Bowen (6/17/2014)

You fail to mention the price of Embarkadero is actually higher than Erwin. I would be looking for something more cost effective.

Please post a feature matrix and current pricing for the various options you feel are more cost effective than ERStudio so we can all learn which product is best and which is the best value!! I was unable to find a price for ERWin after numerous clicks. I got right to a price list to purchase ERStudio. The Data Architect version, which I think is what the vast majority of shops will need, especially those that are cost conscious, is $1415 list with $354 for 1-year mx.

Best,
    Kevin G. Boles
    SQL Server Consultant
    SQL MVP 2007-2012

• I concur with Grant about the lack of decent support for ERWin from CA, having experienced it myself. :angry:

• Clay Bowen (6/17/2014)

You fail to mention the price of Embarkadero is actually higher than Erwin. I would be looking for something more cost effective.

This is a six year old thread, but six years ago, the price for ERStudio was less than that of ERwin. However, I just went and did a live chat with an ERwin rep. They told me the retail price is $4800 for one user. According to the Embarcadero web site, the Enterprise version is $7700, which is higher. But, if you only need SQL Server, it drops to $2600, which is less. There are cheaper options too. Not sure how the price breaks down with ERwin, but overall, it looks like it might have a cheaper price point these days, depending on the options you choose.

You know what? I'd still go with ERStudio because I've had a much better experience with the tool itself and much better support from the company. Initial purchase price can sway people, but long-term pain and difficulty with a product must be factored in to the cost of that product.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• So far, I have tried many online tools. However, I will list you some of the tools that helped me a lot.

SQLDbm

SQLDBM offers you an easy, convenient way to design your database absolutely anywhere on any browser, working away without need for any extra database engine or database modelling tools or apps. Use SQLDBM to design and manage both large and small databases and data models on the fly. All while incorporating any needed database rules and objects such as database keys, schemas, indexes, column constraints and relationships.

Price: Free

AquaData Studio ER Modeler

A free 14-day evaluation copy can be downloaded. The purchase price includes 12-month support. After the first year, support can purchased for 35% of the original license price.

"Discounted licences are available for qualified Academic users and free licenses are available for qualified Open Source Software (OSS) Developers."

Price: $400

Dezign

A recent upgrade offers significantly improved features. Supports Forward and Reverse Engineering for about 20 different Databases.

Price: Offers a Free download or starts at $259 to buy.

• Brandie Tarvin - Tuesday, January 29, 2008 11:45 AM

I just downloaded a trial version of this and it won't open any of my current Erwin diagrams. Bleargh. It seems nothing I can find will allow me to simply convert over my current diagrams.Any other suggestions?

Next version of Erwin? 😉

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• halil.lacevic - Friday, October 6, 2017 5:30 PM

So far, I have tried many online tools. However, I will list you some of the tools that helped me a lot.

SQLDbm

SQLDBM offers you an easy, convenient way to design your database absolutely anywhere on any browser, working away without need for any extra database engine or database modelling tools or apps. Use SQLDBM to design and manage both large and small databases and data models on the fly. All while incorporating any needed database rules and objects such as database keys, schemas, indexes, column constraints and relationships.

Price: Free

AquaData Studio ER Modeler

A free 14-day evaluation copy can be downloaded. The purchase price includes 12-month support. After the first year, support can purchased for 35% of the original license price.

"Discounted licences are available for qualified Academic users and free licenses are available for qualified Open Source Software (OSS) Developers."

Price: $400

Dezign

A recent upgrade offers significantly improved features. Supports Forward and Reverse Engineering for about 20 different Databases.

Price: Offers a Free download or starts at $259 to buy.

Yeah-huh.  Do any of them allow you to import Erwin diagrams as the op requested?

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• Grant Fritchey - Wednesday, June 18, 2014 6:52 AM

Clay Bowen (6/17/2014)

This is a six year old thread, but six years ago, the price for ERStudio was less than that of ERwin. However, I just went and did a live chat with an ERwin rep. They told me the retail price is $4800 for one user. According to the Embarcadero web site, the Enterprise version is $7700, which is higher. But, if you only need SQL Server, it drops to $2600, which is less. There are cheaper options too. Not sure how the price breaks down with ERwin, but overall, it looks like it might have a cheaper price point these days, depending on the options you choose.You know what? I'd still go with ERStudio because I've had a much better experience with the tool itself and much better support from the company. Initial purchase price can sway people, but long-term pain and difficulty with a product must be factored in to the cost of that product.

I find that regardless of the software tool being used to do the design, you still need an accessory that no software I know of come with... a brain. 😉  We had one fellow at a company that I previously worked at.  He was an absolute wizard at using ERwin... he could design poorly designed databases faster than anyone I ever met.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Jeff Moden - Friday, October 6, 2017 9:37 PM

Grant Fritchey - Wednesday, June 18, 2014 6:52 AM

Clay Bowen (6/17/2014)

This is a six year old thread, but six years ago, the price for ERStudio was less than that of ERwin. However, I just went and did a live chat with an ERwin rep. They told me the retail price is $4800 for one user. According to the Embarcadero web site, the Enterprise version is $7700, which is higher. But, if you only need SQL Server, it drops to $2600, which is less. There are cheaper options too. Not sure how the price breaks down with ERwin, but overall, it looks like it might have a cheaper price point these days, depending on the options you choose.You know what? I'd still go with ERStudio because I've had a much better experience with the tool itself and much better support from the company. Initial purchase price can sway people, but long-term pain and difficulty with a product must be factored in to the cost of that product.

I find that regardless of the software tool being used to do the design, you still need an accessory that no software I know of come with... a brain. 😉  We had one fellow at a company that I previously worked at.  He was an absolute wizard at using ERwin... he could design poorly designed databases faster than anyone I ever met.

Hee.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Jeff Moden - Friday, October 6, 2017 9:31 PM

Brandie Tarvin - Tuesday, January 29, 2008 11:45 AM

I just downloaded a trial version of this and it won't open any of my current Erwin diagrams. Bleargh. It seems nothing I can find will allow me to simply convert over my current diagrams.Any other suggestions?

Next version of Erwin? 😉

I wish that had been an option back in 2008. Our corporate office ended its licensing agreement with Erwin before I posted this and we aren't (and weren't) allowed to buy non-approved software. So at the time I was looking into free options.

Ah, well. We managed to survive in the long run. Once I lost access to the plotter for to print out the database diagrams, people stopped asking me for them. Which is a shame. The diagrams were a quick and easy way to teach the newbies how to see our database and get the information they needed.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Brandie Tarvin - Friday, October 27, 2017 6:11 AM

Jeff Moden - Friday, October 6, 2017 9:31 PM

Brandie Tarvin - Tuesday, January 29, 2008 11:45 AM

Next version of Erwin? 😉

I wish that had been an option back in 2008. Our corporate office ended its licensing agreement with Erwin before I posted this and we aren't (and weren't) allowed to buy non-approved software. So at the time I was looking into free options.

Ah, well. We managed to survive in the long run. Once I lost access to the plotter for to print out the database diagrams, people stopped asking me for them. Which is a shame. The diagrams were a quick and easy way to teach the newbies how to see our database and get the information they needed.

Visio and ERStudio both can reverse engineer (but later versions of Visio can't IIRC) have the ability to print on 8.5X11 that you just tape together. Or you can sub-model out (in ERStudio anyway) to just include various parts that each person/group might interact with. Surely and old copy of Visio should be allowable?

Best,
    Kevin G. Boles
    SQL Server Consultant
    SQL MVP 2007-2012

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 40 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply