Are the posted questions getting worse?

• You can say that again 😀

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• Ninja's_RGR'us (1/19/2009)

That's worth repiting Grant :w00t::D:hehe:.

What? Did the copy editors fall down on the job again. Steve, fire that mangy lot and get someone decent in here to protect us from own poor typing skills and pathetic grasp of the English language.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• That wouldn't have been so funny if you hadn't repeated it twice in a row :D:w00t::P.

Been guilty myself of a few typos over the years... so no harm done :).

• Grant Fritchey (1/19/2009)

Ninja's_RGR'us (1/19/2009)

What? Did the copy editors fall down on the job again. Steve, fire that mangy lot and get someone decent in here to protect us from own poor typing skills and pathetic grasp of the English language.

That's probably my favorite feature of the google toolbar, spell checking just like in Word.

• Jack Corbett (1/19/2009)

Grant Fritchey (1/19/2009)

That's probably my favorite feature of the google toolbar, spell checking just like in Word.

Yes, but you have to remember to press the button.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

Firefox has that built in. Why do you think I make so few spelling mistakes. It is not, I assure you, because I can spell.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Ninja's_RGR'us (1/19/2009)

That wouldn't have been so funny if you hadn't repeated it twice in a row :D:w00t::P.

Ninja is English your first spoken language or French?

-------------------------------------------------------------
    "It takes 15 minutes to learn the game and a lifetime to master"
    "Share your knowledge. It's a way to achieve immortality."

• Domagoj Orec (1/19/2009)

That wouldn't have been so funny if you hadn't repeated it twice in a row :D:w00t::P.

Ninja is English your first spoken language or French?

It's french, so I always screw up on words like exemple or example... I never know which one is for english!?!?

I couldmake more use of that spell check myself :w00t:.

• Here is one - http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic638875-145-1.aspx.

Notice his second respond after Steve’s and Garadin’s request from him. By the way one of the things that I can’t understand is completely ignoring request for information by someone that wants to help. Unfortunately there are to many cases like that.

Adi

--------------------------------------------------------------
    To know how to ask questions and increase the chances of getting asnwers:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/

For better answers on performance questions, click on the following...
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/SQLServerCentral/66909/

Here's a good blog post about people just implementing solutions form the internet or forums without caring why:

http://www.straightpathsql.com/blog/2009/1/18/empirical-evidence.html

I found this on a tweet by Jonathan Kehayias.

How odd... I just finished writing one that I called "The 'SQL Clone' Epidemic"... decided not to publish it because it gets a bit nasty about experts knocking their rings instead of providing demonstrable code or, in the case of the article cited above, emperical evidence that something is actually true and not just a myth or someones feeling (usually couched in something like "Well! In my 10 years of experience as a .... ".

Here's a tease from the article...

The code may or may not be tested against the data the user provided (if any was provided), but because of the trusted nature of the source(s) of the code, everyone walks away happy because the problem has been solved. The OP, who went from having no solution, now has a solution from a trusted source and will not only use the code, but add the code to their code library and will frequently share the code with others at the place of work. Further, the code does the job so nicely for them, they may actually buy the book that was cited as part of the post that provided the solution because there's bound to be other nifty solutions in the book. They're so impressed that they may even provide the code on future posts on forums as the way to solve this very common problem for others.

And, isn't that what all good souls do? Share solutions, identify trusted sources, copy working code, help others in need…

…and…

[font="Arial Black"]spread the epidemic?[/font]

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Hey Jeff: Would you consider distributing it privately?

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• Bob Hovious (1/19/2009)

Hey Jeff: Would you consider distributing it privately?

Sure... right after you tell me where you got that awesome rendition of the bio-hazard icon. 😛 I'd also appreciate an opinion (a review, if you will) as to wheter or not I should actually publish the article or not... it does hit a lot of folks squarely in the kisser with some pretty high speed pork chops.

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• I keep biohazard emblems for all occasions. Sort of like online mood rings. You too can compile your own library if you just search google images for "biohazard".

I would like to read your nonpublished thoughts though. I'm sure I have promulgated a number of less than optimum ideas in my time. My penance for this sin is to immediately concede the superiority of new techniques as I am exposed to them and then promulgate THOSE, until something better comes along.

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• Bob Hovious (1/19/2009)

I keep biohazard emblems for all occasions. Sort of like online mood rings. You too can compile your own library if you just search google images for "biohazard".

I would like to read your nonpublished thoughts though. I'm sure I have promulgated a number of less than optimum ideas in my time. My penance for this sin is to immediately concede the superiority of new techniques as I am exposed to them and then promulgate THOSE, until something better comes along.

It depends on HOW you "concede the superiority of new techniques".

The article isn't 100% complete... I abandoned it because I thought it might be too controversial for a forum. I'll send you what I have, so far.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• I'll take a look at it if you want, Jeff. Just to see how much of it is about me. 😀

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

Viewing 15 posts - 841 through 855 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply