Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Jeff Moden (1/3/2014)

We really dodged the bullet with the "Hercules" snowstorm than nailed New England. We only got about 6 inches here about 20 miles north of Detroit.

That's about to change... we're supposed to get a foot of snow Saturday night into Sunday night and sub zero temperatures and that's supposed to be followed by frequent lake-effect snow showers. Since I'm too busy to go skinny-dipping this week, that's ok by me.

I did live down on Key West for 26 months when I was in the Navy. It was a whole lot of fun (I lived right on Duval street just a couple of blocks from Hemingway's bar) but it was missing one thing... really cold weather to kill the really big bugs. 😉 Being an avid motorcyclist at the time, I have to tell you that I really, really hated "Love Bug" season.

Well, we got hit pretty hard by the recent storm just north of Detroit. I've got over a foot in my driveway now and it was cleared out during the day yesterday. The sub-zero temperatures are supposed to be moving in today. Sigh. New England - it's on the way to you next.

• Ok, who has the crystal ball this week?

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic1527890-146-1.aspx

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic1528036-391-1.aspx

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Ed Wagner (1/6/2014)

Well, we got hit pretty hard by the recent storm just north of Detroit. I've got over a foot in my driveway now and it was cleared out during the day yesterday. The sub-zero temperatures are supposed to be moving in today. Sigh. New England - it's on the way to you next.

Looks like I picked a bad week to stop sniffing glue... Oh wait, I'm in the UK all week where it's "cold" and rainy. I'm practically in shorts since it's 50 outside.

Have fun New England!

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• I think I'd have to vote for the 270-column table where the upload is not working properly. It made me smile and sad at the same time. If they can't explain a problem clearly, I don't hold out much hope.

• Ed Wagner (1/6/2014)

I think I'd have to vote for the 270-column table where the upload is not working properly. It made me smile and sad at the same time. If they can't explain a problem clearly, I don't hold out much hope.

Best part of that one was, "But I am explaining it clearly."

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Ed Wagner (1/6/2014)

I think I'd have to vote for the 270-column table where the upload is not working properly. It made me smile and sad at the same time. If they can't explain a problem clearly, I don't hold out much hope.

Oh good, it's not just me.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Grant Fritchey (1/6/2014)

Ed Wagner (1/6/2014)

Hilarious 😀

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Koen Verbeeck (1/6/2014)

Grant Fritchey (1/6/2014)

Ed Wagner (1/6/2014)

Hilarious 😀

And the more they explain, the more we can see was left out.

My vote is to have them check and see that the server isn't frozen, then ask if they want to partition Excel or the table in SQL?

Brrrr, it's cold out. I think our high is -18 today.

Everyone keep warm!

• Jeff Moden (1/3/2014)

We really dodged the bullet with the "Hercules" snowstorm than nailed New England. We only got about 6 inches here about 20 miles north of Detroit.

That's about to change... we're supposed to get a foot of snow Saturday night into Sunday night and sub zero temperatures and that's supposed to be followed by frequent lake-effect snow showers. Since I'm too busy to go skinny-dipping this week, that's ok by me.

I did live down on Key West for 26 months when I was in the Navy. It was a whole lot of fun (I lived right on Duval street just a couple of blocks from Hemingway's bar) but it was missing one thing... really cold weather to kill the really big bugs. 😉 Being an avid motorcyclist at the time, I have to tell you that I really, really hated "Love Bug" season.

Ugh - love bugs. I lived in Florida for seven years, and just the mention of love bugs makes me shudder. The odor of squashed love bugs roasting on the grill of the car when it's 100 degrees turns my stomach like nothing else!

Jason Wolfkill

• wolfkillj (1/6/2014)

Jeff Moden (1/3/2014)

Ugh - love bugs. I lived in Florida for seven years, and just the mention of love bugs makes me shudder. The odor of squashed love bugs roasting on the grill of the car when it's 100 degrees turns my stomach like nothing else!

First night in Florida, got woke up by a huge bug crawling across my face.

Yep, I too see the value in winter cold.

Keeps some of the creepy crawly things in check.

Just wish mosquitoes would get the clue....

• Grant Fritchey (1/6/2014)

Looks like I picked a bad week to stop sniffing glue... Oh wait, I'm in the UK all week where it's "cold" and rainy. I'm practically in shorts since it's 50 outside.

Have fun New England!

Phoenix is hell in summer... but gods I love winters here. 🙂

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

• Well, this morning is a beautiful day. The mercury tips in at -13 F with the wind chill at -39 F. A new record for Southeast Michigan. The road commission clearing the roads...well, I think I'll just leave that one alone.

I saw the many low temperatures all across the eastern 2/3 of the country on TV. Everyone stay safe.

• I heard Mason MI (just outside Lansing) had 18 inches of snow, with 3 more expected.

We just got the cold, but roads are like a highly polished hockey rink.

Looking at the map of the highs nation wide, hard to think Global Warming....

71 days until Spring - I can't wait.

Hope everyone stays safe and warm!

• Greg Edwards-268690 (1/7/2014)

Looking at the map of the highs nation wide, hard to think Global Warming....

I think we're stealing all the warmth here. It's been over 10 degrees Celsius for days now, while normally it should be around 0.

Currently it looks more like autumn/spring than winter.

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• You know, it's great living on a street that gets plowed in the winter (well, OK, driveway at least,) EXCEPT when said plows block the end of the driveway and you need to leave for work...

Heard the plow running this AM while I was getting going, went out to a near knee-deep pile of snow at the end of my drive. Now, the wifes car is a Dart, so it doesn't have a lot of clearance, and my car is a Subaru BRZ so it has even less clearance. So I wound up spending about 15 minutes shovelling a section wide enough to get my car and hers through...

And of course, with this bitter cold, it's not nice, light, fluffy snow, oh no. It's chunks of snow the size of basketballs or bigger...

Yuck.

Viewing 15 posts - 42,526 through 42,540 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply