Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Brandie Tarvin (6/4/2013)

wolfkillj (6/3/2013)

I heard a great joke for nerds (I was about to call it "nerd joke", but it's for nerds, not about nerds) this weekend:

Why do computer science majors always confuse Halloween and Christmas?

(Scroll down for answer)

Because oct 31 = dec 25

Feel free to admit that your nerd-fu is weak if you don't get it. ๐Ÿ˜‰

I am a geek, not a nerd. So ... No, I don't get it. Please 'splain?

Here's a hint - think about the meaning of the roots "oct" and "dec" and how a computer science major (or a math major, even) would interpret them in relation to numbers.

EDIT: Ehh, ninja'd by Gail with the straight-up answer.

Jason Wolfkill

• wolfkillj (6/4/2013)

EDIT: Ehh, ninja'd by Gail with the straight-up answer.

Thanks okay. Your answer actually compliments hers and helps me close the gap. Thanks.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• rodjkidd (6/4/2013)

Just got off a conference call, and the subject of DR came up.

The reply?

"well it would be nice, but we've never had any problems so far"...

I'm sure we've all been on that call before...

How do you answer it?

Rodders...

Just last week because I brought it up. I just moved onto a new project as the database guy. The application has 11 core databases plus 2 others that it interfaces with. When we had a meeting to try to bring me up to speed, I asked what the DR plan was since we need to know what has to be brought up when and to what point in time in order for the application to run, silence fell as soon as I asked the question. Technically DR isn't my responsibility since I'm a developer/development DBA, but I do have concerns about it since I'd like to not HAVE to find a new job, I prefer to find a new job while I'm employed.

• Greg Edwards-268690 (6/4/2013)

andrew gothard (6/4/2013)

rodjkidd (6/4/2013)

The reply?

How do you answer it?

Rodders...

DBCC NEW_JOB?

DBCC Timewarp - I guess this might not work for all disasters.

It's only for the systems, not all the other infrastructure.

All,

Thanks.

It's actually the second time this has happened to me .The first in a face to face meeting with various invested parties and the head of app. support said yes it's all very nice but we have never had a disaster. I did actually laugh out loud! Yes the comparison to health / car / house is insurance has been used. In fact, we used the car insurance one this time on the tele-conference. I guess I am still surprised that this comes up in meetings!

It does sound as though the general approach is more HA (same data centre) but DR is off site backups and we can rebuild it.

Luckily I'm here on contract so can only advise and if they say no then move on...

Having said that it's a project I have taken over and my predecessor had spotted this. So had written in plan that the staging environment should be identical to production but in the other data centre. SO hopefully this will still go through before anyone notices!

Cheers,

Rodders...

• Jack Corbett (6/4/2013)

rodjkidd (6/4/2013)

The reply?

How do you answer it?

Rodders...

Just last week because I brought it up. I just moved onto a new project as the database guy. The application has 11 core databases plus 2 others that it interfaces with. When we had a meeting to try to bring me up to speed, I asked what the DR plan was since we need to know what has to be brought up when and to what point in time in order for the application to run, silence fell as soon as I asked the question. Technically DR isn't my responsibility since I'm a developer/development DBA, but I do have concerns about it since I'd like to not HAVE to find a new job, I prefer to find a new job while I'm employed.

Jack,

Oddly enough this role is Dev DBA. We hand over to the Prod DBA's. But I think they are fighting a bigger battle with the Powers That Be over such matters.

I feel your pain as well!

Rodders...

• GilaMonster (6/4/2013)

rodjkidd (6/4/2013)

How do you answer it?

"What would happen to your business if you lost the entire server room right now? Do you want to gamble the business and everyone's job on the chance that such an event won't happen?"

It's like buying insurance for a car. Just because you've never had an accident doesn't mean you'll drive an uninsured car.

It is amazing how many times I've stated exactly that, yet we never test our backups because we "don't have space". When the EMC backup system fails, the person in charge of backups verifies that it "worked" by checking to see if there's a file with the right name. That's it. Drives me crazy, but I've complained and am told it isn't my concern. I keep my resume updated.

--------------------------------------
    When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    --------------------------------------
    Itโ€™s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    Whatโ€™s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

• GilaMonster (6/4/2013)

Brandie Tarvin (6/4/2013)

Please 'splain?

It's referring to the number base.

dec 25, 25 in decimal, ie base 10. 2x10+5

oct 31, 31 in octal, ie base 8. 3x8+1

They're the same number. In base 2, binary, it would be 11001. In base 16, hexadecimal, it would be 19

I take great comfort in the fact that I'm only 39 in hex.

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• Stefan Krzywicki (6/4/2013)

GilaMonster (6/4/2013)

rodjkidd (6/4/2013)

How do you answer it?

"What would happen to your business if you lost the entire server room right now? Do you want to gamble the business and everyone's job on the chance that such an event won't happen?"

It's like buying insurance for a car. Just because you've never had an accident doesn't mean you'll drive an uninsured car.

It is amazing how many times I've stated exactly that, yet we never test our backups because we "don't have space". When the EMC backup system fails, the person in charge of backups verifies that it "worked" by checking to see if there's a file with the right name. That's it. Drives me crazy, but I've complained and am told it isn't my concern. I keep my resume updated.

It's funny you say about testing your backups. This is often mentioned at talks etc. Well one company I was at, tended to have quiet Fridays. So I christened it "DBA Friday". Where I made sure DBCC CHECKDB had run and we had no errors and I would pick on various databases and restore their backups to test servers. We had montioring running al lthe time, but you know how it is, things happen, the phone rings... But Fridays were normally quiet. Hence I did the extra checks. So when asked at conferences etc, "How many of you test your backups" I could put my hand up. Much to the surprise to the presenter!

The last three contracts certainly haven't been like that ๐Ÿ™‚

I'm hoping someone here tests the backups!

Rodders...

• GilaMonster (6/4/2013)

Brandie Tarvin (6/4/2013)

Please 'splain?

It's referring to the number base.

dec 25, 25 in decimal, ie base 10. 2x10+5

oct 31, 31 in octal, ie base 8. 3x8+1

They're the same number. In base 2, binary, it would be 11001. In base 16, hexadecimal, it would be 19

And of course the bases are included in the dates: OCTober, the 8th month of the old Roman year, and DECember, the 10th month of the old Roman year. So usually only nerds with a classical education get the whole of the joke.

Tom

• Something seems to have gone crazy in QotD listing:-

Date Title Category

Jul 8, 2013 COALESCE (worth 2 points) Coalesce

Jun 4, 2013 TOP and ORDER BY (worth 1 point) Top

Jun 3, 2013 COALESCE (worth 2 points) Coalesce

are the top 3 entries in the list. The one labelled Jun 4 really does belong to Jun 4, but the two labelled Un 3 and Jul 8 are the same question, actually published Jun 1 (but I it does belong to Jun 3 - Sat usually means Mon in dates of QotD).

Managing to reference the same question in two separate entries suggests a failure to declare a uniqueness constraint that is implied by the business rules. Or some even stranger schema design. :laugh:

Tom

• andrew gothard (6/4/2013)

rodjkidd (6/4/2013)

The reply?

How do you answer it?

Rodders...

DBCC NEW_JOB?

bonus points for that one.

What are the parameters?;-)

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• rodjkidd (6/4/2013)

They haven't had any problems that they may know about because people took care of the problems before visibility reached their desk.

I like Gail's answer. I don't like paying the car insurance, but it sure is nice just in case. I may not like paying health insurance, but it sure is nice (sometimes) just in case.

Of course, they could be just figuring that you are their insurance policy - they are paying you aren't they?:-D

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• SQLRNNR (6/4/2013)

andrew gothard (6/4/2013)

rodjkidd (6/4/2013)

The reply?

How do you answer it?

Rodders...

DBCC NEW_JOB?

bonus points for that one.

What are the parameters?;-)

Actually going back to Gails DBCC NEW_JOB...

At the previous place, as a nice permie DBA, that meeting where it was stated that "we don't need no stinking dr" (Paraphrasing obviously) was what started me thinking it was time to move on...

Wished I'd put that in the resignation letter now.

Rodders...

• rodjkidd (6/4/2013)

I'm hoping someone here tests the backups!

We test our backups every day, actually. The only ones we don't test with that frequency are the system dbs.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• GilaMonster (6/4/2013)

rodjkidd (6/4/2013)

How do you answer it?

Except that lots of people would drive without insurance, same with health insurance.

Many times there is no issue. However if there is, you could spend way more than expected. I'd ask them to look back at downtimes, especially unexpected ones, like server failures. What's it worth to mitigate some of those. Ask them to turn off the network for an hour, or 2 hours or a day, and see what happens. Then see what it's worth it to try and avoid some of that.

Be careful about promising nothing goes down, or you recover in an hour. Instead, present some realistic ideas of what you can accomplish in some RTO/RPO and the ballpark cost(s).

Viewing 15 posts - 40,081 through 40,095 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply