Are the posted questions getting worse?

• What does a MAX datatype do?

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• The Dixie Flatline (6/3/2013)

What does a MAX datatype do?

Pulls a sled for the Grinch datatype

--------------------------------------
    When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

• Stefan Krzywicki (6/3/2013)

The Dixie Flatline (6/3/2013)

+5

I love it! :-P:-P:-P

Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• Brandie Tarvin (6/3/2013)

Speaking of SQL_Variant, does anyone here actually use it?

I've never found a reason to use it or a need that made sense, so I'd love to hear real world cases of why and where others might use it.

No, I still found conversion errors when searching for particular values, so I abandoned the idea.

• Um, Guys.... I was being sarcastic.

• I heard a great joke for nerds (I was about to call it "nerd joke", but it's for nerds, not about nerds) this weekend:

Why do computer science majors always confuse Halloween and Christmas?

(Scroll down for answer)

Because oct 31 = dec 25

Feel free to admit that your nerd-fu is weak if you don't get it. 😉

Jason Wolfkill

• Greg Edwards-268690 (6/3/2013)

Stefan Krzywicki (6/3/2013)

Greg Edwards-268690 (6/3/2013)

David Burrows (6/3/2013)

Jack Corbett (5/31/2013)

2. I can't stand when developers create databases without a data professional involved.

:ermm:

I'm a developer, I create databases without a data professional as I do not have one to consult (nor a DBA) :rolleyes:

I suppose it makes me the DBA :pinch:

When you have to work with what you create, you learn from your mistakes.

Which can be the best way to learn.

No problem with those that can switch hats during the day.

Sometimes since they know the whole picture, very solid solutions come into use.

What I hate is the developers that try to make 1 column represent multiple things, then code logic around it.

If column A has a Work Center, then column B is production quantity for the work center.

If column A is a Department, then column B is total qty for the day for the department.

If column is NULL, then column B is something completely different.

I don't know what they think they are saving.

The worst is when they include 20+ "User Defined fields" called User1, User2, etc...

Maybe that's what they are saving - not having to define a name that means anything.

That could limit (or draw questions) if the field represents mulitple things.

And everyone knows that nvarchar(max) is very flexible.

Data types? Just an unecessary constraint!

As one of the aforementioned "they" - bad code is bad code, an illogical mind is an illogical mind, and there are quite a few of us who also hate stupid meaningless column names and dumb case statements. Not to mention my pet peeve - run-on statements with no formatting. You can't even tell what from clause goes with which select statement. Yikes! Anyway - don't lump us all together.

Donna

• The Dixie Flatline (6/3/2013)

Um, Guys.... I was being sarcastic.

Actually, I knew that. I was just playing to it. Even if you have been gone awhile I still remember your sense of humor. It has been missed.

• dbursey (6/3/2013)

David Burrows (6/3/2013)

Jack Corbett (5/31/2013)

2. I can't stand when developers create databases without a data professional involved.

I'm a developer, I create databases without a data professional as I do not have one to consult (nor a DBA) :rolleyes:

Sometimes since they know the whole picture, very solid solutions come into use.

What I hate is the developers that try to make 1 column represent multiple things, then code logic around it.

If column A has a Work Center, then column B is production quantity for the work center.

If column A is a Department, then column B is total qty for the day for the department.

The worst is when they include 20+ "User Defined fields" called User1, User2, etc...

Maybe that's what they are saving - not having to define a name that means anything.

As one of the aforementioned "they" - bad code is bad code, an illogical mind is an illogical mind, and there are quite a few of us who also hate stupid meaningless column names and dumb case statements. Not to mention my pet peeve - run-on statements with no formatting. You can't even tell what from clause goes with which select statement. Yikes! Anyway - don't lump us all together.

Donna

Sorry, the only people I meant by "they" is the people who design tables like that. I've seen developers do it and I've seen DBAs do it. They think they're being clever. I'm an architect/developer who ends up doing DBA things because I tend to work in small shops. Sorry if my statement was overly broad.

When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

• Greg Edwards-268690 (6/3/2013)

I find it very amusing when devs who fuss when prodded to specify appropriate datatypes in their databases also complain about SQL being too weakly typed. :rolleyes:

Jason Wolfkill

dbursey (6/3/2013)

David Burrows (6/3/2013)

Jack Corbett (5/31/2013)

Donna

Sorry, the only people I meant by "they" is the people who design tables like that. I've seen developers do it and I've seen DBAs do it. They think they're being clever. I'm an architect/developer who ends up doing DBA things because I tend to work in small shops. Sorry if my statement was overly broad.

I hear you...I'm in the same boat right now with the DBA stuff (not any more, in about two weeks), and the things I see...implicit conversions being most prevelant and egregious....and you mention it, and the blank look is...well, you've gotta laugh.

• wolfkillj (6/3/2013)

I find it very amusing when devs who fuss when prodded to specify appropriate datatypes in their databases also complain about SQL being too weakly typed. :rolleyes:

Likely the same ones that store a name and a number in a phone field.

I remember for 10 years at my last job they stored dates in a freeeform text string with other things before finally storing the date and reason code in separate fields.

Amazing how much easier everyone was able to get out useful data once the change was made.

Wow, 78 seconds (between posts) to come up with the best SQL joke I've ever heard. Bravo!

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• jcrawf02 (6/3/2013)

Wow, 78 seconds (between posts) to come up with the best SQL joke I've ever heard. Bravo!

Have you never heard of Little Bobby Tables[/url]?

• Brandie Tarvin (6/3/2013)

Speaking of SQL_Variant, does anyone here actually use it?

I've never found a reason to use it or a need that made sense, so I'd love to hear real world cases of why and where others might use it.

It is the only data type currently unsupported in Windows Azure SQL Database. And, I suspect, it never will.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

Viewing 15 posts - 40,051 through 40,065 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply