Are the posted questions getting worse?

• dwain.c (1/30/2013)

Has the world just come to an end and no one told me?

Overnight for me in Bangkok and I received not a single notification from SSC, not even from The Thread!

First time in recorded memory I think. 😛

Suddenly the notifications have started coming in!

Good work to whoever fixed something.

My mantra: No loops! No CURSORs! No RBAR! Hoo-uh![/I]

My thought question: Have you ever been told that your query runs too fast?

My advice:
    INDEXing a poor-performing query is like putting sugar on cat food. Yeah, it probably tastes better but are you sure you want to eat it?
    The path of least resistance can be a slippery slope. Take care that fixing your fixes of fixes doesn't snowball and end up costing you more than fixing the root cause would have in the first place.

Need to UNPIVOT? Why not CROSS APPLY VALUES instead?[/url]
    Since random numbers are too important to be left to chance, let's generate some![/url]
    Learn to understand recursive CTEs by example.[/url]
    [url url=http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/St

• Chad Crawford (1/30/2013)

I have to share my excitement. I taught a class here at work to help employees prepare for the Microsoft 70-461 test. So far 6 people have taken it... and all 6 passed! The perfect streak won't last forever, but wow I am so stoked! I know it doesn't mean I'm a good teacher (correlation<>causation, particularly in THIS CASE!), some of them only needed the motivation to study a little and actually take the test, but it probably means I'm not a BAD teacher! And I'm way happy for them. Certification hasn't been a goal for anyone up until this, now it is generating some excitement and interest. I've been telling them how good they are (at SQL and working with SQL Server), now they can no longer deny it. WOO HOO! Time to come up with a good party.

Chad

Congratulations! I find teaching people and having them really get it to be one of the most satisfying things in life.

--------------------------------------
    When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

• Chad Crawford (1/30/2013)

I have to share my excitement. I taught a class here at work to help employees prepare for the Microsoft 70-461 test. So far 6 people have taken it... and all 6 passed! The perfect streak won't last forever, but wow I am so stoked! I know it doesn't mean I'm a good teacher (correlation<>causation, particularly in THIS CASE!), some of them only needed the motivation to study a little and actually take the test, but it probably means I'm not a BAD teacher! And I'm way happy for them. Certification hasn't been a goal for anyone up until this, now it is generating some excitement and interest. I've been telling them how good they are (at SQL and working with SQL Server), now they can no longer deny it. WOO HOO! Time to come up with a good party.

Chad

Yay! Well done Chad, outstanding result.

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• Congratulations, Chad. That's fantastic!

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• And now, if you don't mind, a WOOT of my own.

Penumbra eMag's Bradbury issue got a fantastic review. I selected the 9 finalist stories that got weeded down by the EIC. http://www.tangentonline.com/e-market-monthly-reviewsmenu-265/penumbra/2044-penumbra-16-january-2013

BOUNCY

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• BrainDonor (1/30/2013)

jasona.work (1/30/2013)

Now, you want a topic that would *really* generate some responses, start a Star Trek vs Star Wars topic,

Babylon 5 or nothing.

+Infinity!

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Hearty 'well dones' to both Chad and Brandie.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Grant Fritchey (1/31/2013)

BrainDonor (1/30/2013)

jasona.work (1/30/2013)

Now, you want a topic that would *really* generate some responses, start a Star Trek vs Star Wars topic,

Babylon 5 or nothing.

+Infinity!

To Infinity and BEYOND!

• BrainDonor (1/30/2013)

jasona.work (1/30/2013)

Babylon 5 or nothing.

Blake's 7 was better. 🙂

Tom

• L' Eomot Inversé (1/31/2013)

BrainDonor (1/30/2013)

jasona.work (1/30/2013)

Babylon 5 or nothing.

Blake's 7 was better. 🙂

+1

Remember the sound of Orac being switched off, Tom? Bet even you can't spell it 😉

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• First time poster, forgive me for I have sinned.....

Just to get started - what do I do with a proposal to purchase a full up OORDBMS (standard PDM) for a large scale manufacturing site where the proposed architecture excludes the use of Relations. My first response was you get a huge spreadsheet and utterly disable or create anomalous actions in the native functionality.

Am I missing something here – ‘cause when I say I don’t advise it – I get blank stares. I understand that business functionality for MRP based systems is not intuitive, but still……no relations is a object oriented relational database - I can't imagine

Old, Confused and Ready to Retire

• Welcome to the Thread! And SQL Server Central.

By and large, we try to keep this place as a water cooler, a place to discuss things other than technology, although technical questions do slip in. In general, for that type of question, you'd be better off going to one of the forums.

But, I agree with you. I ran into the same situation before. We want to store everything in SQL Server, but, because we don't like how SQL Server works, we're going to ignore what it does. Funny thing, every time I've seen a team do that, they're really shocked that performance shoots through the floor instead of the roof. You'd think ignoring constraints, dropping all indexes, completely and utterly not even trying to get a well written T-SQL statement would just fix all the problems but for some reason, it creates new, BIGGER, problems.

Have fun!

• Jeff Moden (1/30/2013)Detroit? Do you attend the local PASS meetings? Do I know you and am just missing the connection?

I've not (yet) attended any of the local UGs, although I've been planning to.

I am planning to attend the SQL Saturday in March over at LTU though.

My first SQL Saturday!

You know, it's also amusing, you're the second person to ask me if I've attended UGs in the area recently!

Jason

• No sense in cluttering up a topic with this...

Saw this post: http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/FindPost1414149.aspx

And the name of the name of the table has me picturing one of the kids from the Harry Potter films flicking their magic wand and calling it out as a spell: 'MovimentosFuncionarios'

• Brandie Tarvin (1/31/2013)

And now, if you don't mind, a WOOT of my own.

Penumbra eMag's Bradbury issue got a fantastic review. I selected the 9 finalist stories that got weeded down by the EIC. http://www.tangentonline.com/e-market-monthly-reviewsmenu-265/penumbra/2044-penumbra-16-january-2013

BOUNCY

Excellent! Congratulations!

When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

Viewing 15 posts - 38,866 through 38,880 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply