Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Jeff Moden (5/29/2011)

Now that's cool. Didn't know that. I may have to look into that... you're getting better gas mileage than my 1300 cc motorcycle.

I average 57mpg from my little Nissan Micra diesel, but I suspect the average 'merican would take one look at it and ask where the one for his other foot is... 🙂

• GilaMonster (5/27/2011)

Precon and spotlight! Could this PASS Summit get any better?

Yes, it could. I could actually be able to attend, not just gaze wistfully at the session list. 🙂

-Ki

• paul.knibbs (5/31/2011)

Jeff Moden (5/29/2011)

Now that's cool. Didn't know that. I may have to look into that... you're getting better gas mileage than my 1300 cc motorcycle.

I average 57mpg from my little Nissan Micra diesel, but I suspect the average 'merican would take one look at it and ask where the one for his other foot is... 🙂

Are you in the UK? Careful, UK Gallons != US Gallons

57mpg (Imperial) is about 47 US.

Economical diesels work out better for the kind of driving I do, it all depends on whether you spend most of your time on motorways or town/city driving

Jeff Moden (5/29/2011)

Too bad they don't sell cars like that over here.

Used to have a VW pickup diesel that got 50 mpg city, and about 60 mpg highway.

• Anybody here in Pasadena?

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Greg Edwards-268690 (5/31/2011)

paul.knibbs (5/31/2011)

Jeff Moden (5/29/2011)

Too bad they don't sell cars like that over here.

Used to have a VW pickup diesel that got 50 mpg city, and about 60 mpg highway.

I used to have a 5.3 litre Jag that would often do a 100 mile journey on a single gallon.

Go 13 miles, break down, get home on the back of a recovery truck.

Jeff Moden (5/29/2011)

Three years ago I had a Toyota yaris diesel. It could run 25 km with 1 litre. It was too small to carry the child seat and it didn't have rear doors, so I had to change it.

I still miss that great car.

-- Gianluca Sartori

• Yes they are and no they are not.

Technically, yes, the questions have been dumbing down over the past several years. We need to balance this with the way information delivery has evolved.

However, I cannot just blame the behavior on laziness. When I started my career back in the dinosaur days, we didn't have the internet, we only had the manuals and you had to be self sufficient.

As the internet arrived, vendors started relying on web sites and you could actually ask people questions. You still had product manuals that were written by real writers. That was some good stuff.

Today, we have everything online. Yes, Books Online is helpful "if" you know what you are looking for or you know what you are looking at. The search capability is very weak and you often can get results out of proper context. MSDN and TechNet are horrific in terms of content quality. Have you tried to learn a new technology from either source lately? While there is a ton of content, the quality of the information is very low. For example, read some of the deployment planning documents (try SharePoint <grin>) from start to finish. There is so much cross linking, you have to have several browser sessions going just to refer to the supporting documentation that explains any given document. By the time you had read the supporting material, you have to retrace where you were to understand the original point.

The end result is that you get a lot of data and very little information. Sometimes it is preferable to ask a stupid question and receive an answer from an experienced professional. A Google search may provide answers, the trouble is picking out the correct one.

• Gianluca Sartori (5/31/2011)

Three years ago I had a Toyota yaris diesel. It could run 25 km with 1 litre.

That's about 70mpg (in UK measure, anyway) which is a lot better than I get. Trouble is, everyone else knows how awesome the Yaris is for fuel economy and the second-hand prices are insane--assuming you can actually find one of the things for sale!

• Steve - now we see what you mean about blogging about your car. Just mentioning 'MPG' brings people out of the woodwork with great passion.

Jim Murphy
    http://www.sqlwatchmen.com
    @SQLMurph

• Jim Murphy (5/31/2011)

Steve - now we see what you mean about blogging about your car. Just mentioning 'MPG' brings people out of the woodwork with great passion.

LOL, yep, people get passionate.

On the other hand, this is a good spot for it.

I love the Suburban we have. It's nice to have that room and cruise, but I can almost see the gas gauge going down, so I rarely drive it. It's a nice spare when we need it.

I wish we would have more high mileage cars, and I know there are some rules that are increasing car averages for manufacturers, so maybe we'll get more high mileage diesels and other cars here in the next decade

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (5/31/2011)

Jim Murphy (5/31/2011)

Steve - now we see what you mean about blogging about your car. Just mentioning 'MPG' brings people out of the woodwork with great passion.

LOL, yep, people get passionate.

On the other hand, this is a good spot for it.

I love the Suburban we have. It's nice to have that room and cruise, but I can almost see the gas gauge going down, so I rarely drive it. It's a nice spare when we need it.

I wish we would have more high mileage cars, and I know there are some rules that are increasing car averages for manufacturers, so maybe we'll get more high mileage diesels and other cars here in the next decade

Car that I had that was the most fun to drive - 1967 Z/28.

It had the optional Low Fuel indicator light.

I hated that.

Half a tank left, light acceleration, and it came on.

Kind of ironic, as the car was actually raced as a Trans Am car for 5 years.

Very crude car by today's standards.

And mileage wasn't a strong point.

But who cares?:-P

• Jim Murphy (5/31/2011)

Well, of course it does! 🙂

I'm one of those Prius owners... but I'm not one of the rabid ones. I love my car - it's a 2005 with 110k+ miles on it, and still runs amazingly well, keeps its emissions nice and low, and feels good to drive. And it usually gets better mileage than my motorcycle. 🙂

-Ki

• Kiara (5/31/2011)

Jim Murphy (5/31/2011)

I'm one of those Prius owners... but I'm not one of the rabid ones. I love my car - it's a 2005 with 110k+ miles on it, and still runs amazingly well, keeps its emissions nice and low, and feels good to drive. And it usually gets better mileage than my motorcycle. 🙂

Nice to hear. We have 85k on the '07 and it's been great. Harder as the kids get larger and when we have 5 there is a lot of complaining, but it's been a good car. It does feel good to drive it, but we bought it strictly for the $$ analysis, not so much the green thing.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (5/31/2011)

Kiara (5/31/2011)

Jim Murphy (5/31/2011)

Nice to hear. We have 85k on the '07 and it's been great. Harder as the kids get larger and when we have 5 there is a lot of complaining, but it's been a good car. It does feel good to drive it, but we bought it strictly for the $$ analysis, not so much the green thing.

When I bought mine, if I had been going strictly for the $$ analysis, I'd have purchased something else. Gas had to be over $3.00 US for a gallon (US gallon) for the extra cost vs. what I could pay for a lower mileage vehicle combined with the 100+ miles a day I commuted at the time... but I had other considerations, and so I made the decision to get the Prius. It's been a workhorse of a car, and the sheer volume of *stuff* I can get into it (we joke that the interior is related to a Transformer) is rather amazing - for a vehicle that isn't a truck or a van. (My car's average annual mileage was saved when I telecommuted almost exclusively for a couple of years...)

I got "lucky" - gas prices went through the roof a few months after I bought it.

Not sure that I like that definition of "lucky", though!

-Ki

Viewing 15 posts - 26,791 through 26,805 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply