Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Jim Murphy (5/27/2011)

<giggle>. This is probably Grant's biggest fear for the precon. Especially since Jen says that "book authors don't know anything" at SQLRally. For clarification, (inside joke) Jen misspoke and turned bright red when she realized what came out of her mouth instead of 'book authors don't know everything'. The whole conference was poking at her for that wonderful quote. Almost brought down the twitter server.

Just for further clarification, this was during the "Lightning Talks" session, where each speaker was given 10 minutes to speak, then they all gathered up front together to answer questions. Jen was answering one of the questions. Grant was sitting about 2 chairs from her. Jen made mahogany look pale; Grant deepened it by agreeing with her. Twitter lit up; Alvin posted it here on The Thread.

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• WayneS (5/28/2011)

Jim Murphy (5/27/2011)

<giggle>. This is probably Grant's biggest fear for the precon. Especially since Jen says that "book authors don't know anything" at SQLRally. For clarification, (inside joke) Jen misspoke and turned bright red when she realized what came out of her mouth instead of 'book authors don't know everything'. The whole conference was poking at her for that wonderful quote. Almost brought down the twitter server.

Just for further clarification, this was during the "Lightning Talks" session, where each speaker was given 10 minutes to speak, then they all gathered up front together to answer questions. Jen was answering one of the questions. Grant was sitting about 2 chairs from her. Jen made mahogany look pale; Grant deepened it by agreeing with her. Twitter lit up; Alvin posted it here on The Thread.

And it's all on video. We just need to bug Jen to get it posted. Not only can you seen Jen turn 12 shades of red, but you can see my angry rant about backup testing.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Craig Farrell (5/28/2011)

*chanting*

I will not smack Syed with a heavy hand...

I will not smack Syed with a heavy hand...

I will not smack...

*mumbles off to another room, still chanting*

arghhhhh

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Grant Fritchey (5/28/2011)

WayneS (5/28/2011)

Jim Murphy (5/27/2011)

And it's all on video. We just need to bug Jen to get it posted. Not only can you seen Jen turn 12 shades of red, but you can see my angry rant about backup testing.

I forgot about her recording it - yes, we all need to harass her to get her to post it!

Wayne

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    Performance Problems

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (5/27/2011)

Now we got the $27k Prius in '07, but got a $1500 tax credit and saved a ton of gas.

What did it do to your electric bill?

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Roy Ernest (5/27/2011)

Congrats Gail and Grant. That means if things go as planned, I can meet all of you at the Summit.

I had a great time hanging around with Jeff last year. I am hoping he will be there this year as well. Then we can discuss SQL with a pint or two 😀

Definitely looking forward to all of that again. I just need to be able to get a session to teach because I pay for everything myself (like Gail does IIRC) and need the break on the admission.

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• Roy Ernest (5/27/2011)

GSquared (5/27/2011)

SQLkiwi (5/26/2011)

Steve Jones - SSC Editor (5/26/2011)

I'll say that most of the better applications were self-written. It's hard for someone else to do a good job listing everything you do.

A DBA that can write? That's pretty Exceptional right there! I assume the winner was the one that spelt their name right 😉

I rite reel gud! Wut u meen by dat?

That is how Indians write on the forums... 🙂

If someone feels insulted by this statement, Sorry. I am an Indian as well and I dont get insulted.

Not to worry. Here in the U.S., people have been know to say things like...

MR Code.

MR not.

MR2. CM Letters?

WAL IB.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Jeff Moden (5/28/2011)

I just need to be able to get a session to teach because I pay for everything myself (like Gail does IIRC) and need the break on the admission.

Yup. Every cent from my own pocket...

I need a break on the flights. Admission would be cheap in comparison (if booked early enough)

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Jeff Moden (5/28/2011)

Roy Ernest (5/27/2011)

GSquared (5/27/2011)

SQLkiwi (5/26/2011)

Steve Jones - SSC Editor (5/26/2011)

I'll say that most of the better applications were self-written. It's hard for someone else to do a good job listing everything you do.

A DBA that can write? That's pretty Exceptional right there! I assume the winner was the one that spelt their name right 😉

I rite reel gud! Wut u meen by dat?

That is how Indians write on the forums... 🙂

If someone feels insulted by this statement, Sorry. I am an Indian as well and I dont get insulted.

Not to worry. Here in the U.S., people have been know to say things like...

MR Code.

MR not.

MR2. CM Letters?

WAL IB.

Isn't that supposed to be just: LIB

Wayne

Links:
    Performance Problems

• WayneS (5/28/2011)

Grant Fritchey (5/28/2011)

WayneS (5/28/2011)

Jim Murphy (5/27/2011)

I forgot about her recording it - yes, we all need to harass her to get her to post it!

She's had it posted all along. haven't watched it so I can't vouch for the quality: http://bit.ly/DBAShow

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Jeff Moden (5/28/2011)

Steve Jones - SSC Editor (5/27/2011)

Now we got the $27k Prius in '07, but got a $1500 tax credit and saved a ton of gas.

LOL, mine is Gen 2, no plug in. Just hybrid gas/stored energy from braking. I used to get 52-55mpg in the summer, 46-49 in the winter. Heat makes the motor run more, but 90% of my driving is < 45mph.

If I went plug in, I think electric would go up, but from what I've seen, the cost / mile in electric is lower than gas.

BTW, the Ford hybrids used to use licensed Toyota tech, so they were similar in efficiency. They used to just be larger, so no 50mpg cars. Not sure now

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (5/29/2011)

Jeff Moden (5/28/2011)

LOL, mine is Gen 2, no plug in. Just hybrid gas/stored energy from braking. I used to get 52-55mpg in the summer, 46-49 in the winter. Heat makes the motor run more, but 90% of my driving is < 45mph.

Now that's cool. Didn't know that. I may have to look into that... you're getting better gas mileage than my 1300 cc motorcycle.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Jeff Moden (5/29/2011)

Steve Jones - SSC Editor (5/29/2011)

Jeff Moden (5/28/2011)

Now that's cool. Didn't know that. I may have to look into that... you're getting better gas mileage than my 1300 cc motorcycle.

Yeah, my ex has a Prius and we still take it on longish trips. A lot of that mpg is due to how you drive it. Lower speeds with a lot of coasting gets you MUCH better mpg then highway running cross country. Not that it's not bad, but it ends up comparable to my 750cc, ~40-45 mpg depending on weight of lead in foot (or wrist).

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

• Grant Fritchey (5/29/2011)

WayneS (5/28/2011)

Grant Fritchey (5/28/2011)

WayneS (5/28/2011)

Jim Murphy (5/27/2011)

She's had it posted all along. haven't watched it so I can't vouch for the quality: http://bit.ly/DBAShow%5B/quote%5D

Unfortunately, it starts right after her statement - but you do get to see all of her embarrassment!

Wayne

Links:
    Performance Problems

• A Happy Memorial Day to all y'all in the States. And a big THANK YOU! to all who have served. Enjoy your day!

-- Kit

Viewing 15 posts - 26,776 through 26,790 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply