Are the posted questions getting worse?

• GilaMonster (11/11/2010)

jcrawf02 (11/11/2010)

Craig Farrell (11/10/2010)

Must be the week...

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic1019000-392-1.aspx

Nice sig πŸ˜‰ To be perfect, should start with "Yea" instead of "'lo", and have an extra thy in "Thy spool and thy hash..."

Plus it should be 'the valley of the shadow of joins'

Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of joins, I shall fear no scans, for thou art the optimizer; thy spool and thy hash, they comfort me

SWEET!

Hey guys. Sorry I haven't posted this week. PASS Summit has been flipping AWESOME. Wish we had a way to get you all here, maybe a teleporter.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Grant Fritchey (11/11/2010)

PASS Summit has been flipping AWESOME. Wish we had a way to get you all here, maybe a teleporter.

Yeah, I also wish so ...

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of joins, I shall fear no scans, for thou art the optimizer; thy spool and thy hash, they comfort me

Excellent!

• Chris Morris-439714 (11/11/2010)

WayneS (11/10/2010)

Has anyone heard anything about Barry lately?

I had the same thought a couple of weeks ago, but a quick look revealed he'd been quite active, though not on The Thread.

I hope so - I see only 2 posts from him since the end of August.

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• Grant Fritchey (11/11/2010)

SWEET!

Hey guys. Sorry I haven't posted this week. PASS Summit has been flipping AWESOME. Wish we had a way to get you all here, maybe a teleporter.

Pay per view?

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• jcrawf02 (11/11/2010)

Grant Fritchey (11/11/2010)

SWEET!

Pay per view?

Ummmm, seriously - that would be an excellent marketing strategy. The use of Pay per view would pay for itself and increase attendance to the summit.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• WayneS (11/11/2010)

Chris Morris-439714 (11/11/2010)

WayneS (11/10/2010)

Has anyone heard anything about Barry lately?

I had the same thought a couple of weeks ago, but a quick look revealed he'd been quite active, though not on The Thread.

I hope so - I see only 2 posts from him since the end of August.

Was it only two? πŸ™

A good friend is currently going through a similar medical mill to Barry and it's harsh, psychologically as well as physically. He's a tough and cheerful former rugby player but the strain shows if you catch him offguard. Wishing them both luck sounds crass and insufficient when they've had the misfortune to acquire the ailment in the first place. We keep my friend busy and active so he dwells less on it. I hope Barry has good people looking after him too.

β€œWrite the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

jcrawf02 (11/11/2010)

Must be the week...

Nice sig πŸ˜‰ To be perfect, should start with "Yea" instead of "'lo", and have an extra thy in "Thy spool and thy hash..."

And that's when we hit ourselves in the head with boards, right? (Sorry, Monty Python references just happen like that.)

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• GSquared (11/11/2010)

GilaMonster (11/11/2010)

jcrawf02 (11/11/2010)

Must be the week...

And that's when we hit ourselves in the head with boards, right? (Sorry, Monty Python references just happen like that.)

Pie Iesu domine, dona eis requiem. [bonk]

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• CirquedeSQLeil (11/11/2010)

GSquared (11/11/2010)

GilaMonster (11/11/2010)

jcrawf02 (11/11/2010)

Must be the week...

Pie Iesu domine, dona eis requiem. [bonk]

:w00t: I thought I was picky. Guess it depends which online bible you reference. :hehe:

So, somewhat re-paraphrased because well... it flows better, you're right. πŸ˜›

As to the boards thing, I thought it was:

LoginName, Password, foruuum boarddsss.... [bonk]

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

• Craig Farrell (11/11/2010)

:w00t: I thought I was picky. Guess it depends which online bible you reference. :hehe:

I referenced the real one on my books shelf, but it's plain-ish english.

So, somewhat re-paraphrased because well... it flows better, you're right. πŸ˜›

I like that one.

Dunno if you noticed, I've been getting kudos on Twitter for your sig. πŸ˜€

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

ROFL. No, I hadn't. I tend to avoid Twitter, Facebook, et al. like they were the second coming of the Black Plague. Guess I'll have to see if websense will let me look yours up though. :w00t:

Edit: Nope, definately blocked. I think I found it via google anyway. I'll have to check it out tonight. Hopefully history isn't only 20 tweets or something.

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

• Craig Farrell (11/11/2010)

GilaMonster (11/11/2010)

ROFL. No, I hadn't. I tend to avoid Twitter, Facebook, et al. like they were the second coming of the Black Plague. Guess I'll have to see if websense will let me look yours up though. :w00t:

Edit: Nope, definately blocked. I think I found it via google anyway. I'll have to check it out tonight. Hopefully history isn't only 20 tweets or something.

If you have problems finding it on-line, just remember that all tweets are now being archived by the Library of Congress.

--------------------------------------
    When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    --------------------------------------
    It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

• http://twitter.com/#!/GFritchey/status/2742141222658049

and

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&tbo=1&tbs=rltm%3A1&q=sqlinthewild+%22Yea+though+I+walk%22+site%3Atwitter.com&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

Kinda...

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Websense hates me. Have to check that from home.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Dear gods, did I just generate a meme?

- Craig Farrell

Viewing 15 posts - 21,361 through 21,375 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply