Achievement Unlocked: Balance 0

• Miles Neale (11/20/2014)

A friend last year was asked why he worked seven days a week and for 10-12 hours a day. A couple of us told him he needed to slow down and get some rest. He said there is plenty of time to rest when you die. He started that rest a week or so back. Dead at 54 of cancer. He was way too young, and it was far too early, it is hard to even think about.

No one should die before their time. Take all the time off you can and live well! Smile, laugh, and hug your spouse and children work can wait a few days.

Who is more important, your boss who only wants you to keep working, or your family who really love you. You are their hero! Be with them as much as you can.

M.

+100

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• All true, Ladies and Gentlemen. All true.

PS Mrs Varga ensures that we do all holiday. I have to go as who else would carry the luggage 😉

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!

• Though I am past retirement age and still go to work each day... no plans to stop at the present.

-- FORTRAN manual for Xerox Computers --

• Some good points here.

I do believe that it's in my own interest to spend few years working harder now while I'm young, have the energy, and my career is just starting to take off, because my future self will benefit from that.

On the flipside though, once people have you down as a hard worker, they can start to take advantage. I wasn't able to take any annual leave for 9 months this year, and just as I was about to have my long-awaited two weeks off, I was in all seriousness asked to cancel it because they "needed me to do [...] work". I didn't cancel it (I really needed the break), and when I got back I was told I'd never be allowed to take more than a long weekend again. It was said "jokingly" but they were actually quite serious.

Flattering, sure, but incredibly unreasonable and exhausting, not to mention shortsighted.

• Beatrix Kiddo (11/21/2014)

Some good points here.

I do believe that it's in my own interest to spend few years working harder now while I'm young, have the energy, and my career is just starting to take off, because my future self will benefit from that.

On the flipside though, once people have you down as a hard worker, they can start to take advantage. I wasn't able to take any annual leave for 9 months this year, and just as I was about to have my long-awaited two weeks off, I was in all seriousness asked to cancel it because they "needed me to do [...] work". I didn't cancel it (I really needed the break), and when I got back I was told I'd never be allowed to take more than a long weekend again. It was said "jokingly" but they were actually quite serious.

Flattering, sure, but incredibly unreasonable and exhausting, not to mention shortsighted.

No ones knows there expiration date, so "tune in to what this place has to offer, because we may never be here again".

And to paraphrase Groucho Marx - "I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member."

My take on it "I refuse to work for a company that relies solely on me."

-------------------------------------------------------------
    we travel not to escape life but for life not to escape us
    Don't fear failure, fear regret.

• Absolutely.

• jay-h (11/21/2014)

Though I am past retirement age and still go to work each day... no plans to stop at the present.

Jay,

Has your attitude changed much since you reached that threshold or are you still racing the rats?

M.

Not all gray hairs are Dinosaurs!

• Miles Neale (11/21/2014)

jay-h (11/21/2014)

Though I am past retirement age and still go to work each day... no plans to stop at the present.

Jay,

Has your attitude changed much since you reached that threshold or are you still racing the rats?

M.

That's a good question. All my life I've pretty much ignored birthdays, this one took a huge symbolic psychological hit.

I've given it a lot of thought, and somehow the thought of slowing down (both inside and outside of work) feels like I'm surrendering to age. I kind of like to be in the middle of things, both on the job and my own projects (which require money from the job) so I decided to keep on going, just as I have been, and ignore the calendar.

-- FORTRAN manual for Xerox Computers --

Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply